Apple's Director of Patent Licensing & Strategy Departs for French Firm

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 19, 2013.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Boris Teksler, Apple's former director of Patent Licensing & Strategy, has left the company for a high-level position with French technology firm Technicolor.

Teksler has been head of Apple's patent licensing department through nearly constant licensing negotiations and patent lawsuits with numerous technology companies, including a broad licensing deal with Microsoft that included an 'anti cloning' agreement. He was with Apple for four years, after spending 16 years at HP.
    The departure was first noticed by AppleInsider.

Article Link: Apple's Director of Patent Licensing & Strategy Departs for French Firm

2. macrumors member

Hmmm.. Bye?

3. macrumors 6502

chumawumba

With all these petty lawsuits, I wouldn't blame him for going crazy and leaving Apple.

4. macrumors 6502a

Name a company Apple has sued within a year.

5. macrumors 65816

TouchMint.com

Not sure this is a bad thing. Means he gets quite a bit of work and I am guessing money too.

6. macrumors 6502a

Zut alors!

(thank you, 3 years of high school French!)

7. macrumors G5

Probably bored. Same lawsuit different day ;)

I'm surprised no one has accused Microsoft or Samsung or some other "rival" of a conspiracy to lure him away from Apple though. The thread is young though :)

8. macrumors newbie

Sacrebleu! What Apple will do without him!

9. Frign, Jun 19, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2013

macrumors member

Conspiracy

Everything suggests that there must be a conspiracy by Samsung, Microsoft or some other "rival" to lure him away from Apple.

10. macrumors 65816

GenesisST

Kellogg's?

11. macrumors regular

Torts

And in other news, Technicolor announced it is suing Apple for patent infringement....

12. macrumors newbie

Looks like things aren't so black and white.

13. macrumors regular

I think he is #1 reason Apple has initiated so many lawsuits.

14. macrumors 65816

autrefois

Somehow, I'm not sure how, this is bound to end up in a lawsuit.

15. macrumors 68020

Solomani

Hopefully the guy that Apple hires as his replacement will.... set Apple in a DIFFERENT direction with regards to the patent wars? Maybe the beginning of a more conciliatory strategy to finally start putting an end to the Patent Wars?

16. macrumors 68030

macs4nw

Don't know about that. He may be the man with the intimate knowledge of all patent related matters, but he still gets his orders from above.

17. macrumors 68040

Glideslope

I'm going to agree. While we still see all the established, unresolved suits, just how many new suits in the past 2 years. New Companies, new patents, new technology? He saw his workload dwindling.

Besides, his name is Boris. :apple:

18. macrumors 65816

Mike MA

So, any in change in strategy? Depends wether he was a Steve Jobs or Tim Cook guy...

19. macrumors 65816

So, notice

Technicolor started as a "high-tech"-- Color! -- started off as a venerable tech company that held the first patents for the three-color process for color. Gone with the Wind? Wizard of Oz? Technicolor. Kodak invented the single-layer process, Ektachrome, much more able to shoot in dimmer light, and Technicolor became the ultimate quality development lab. Now they're a French company, and evidently one with a patent lawsuit division. They patented their color process at Hollywood's Golden Age, but a film process from the '40s is now pretty much worthless except for archivists.

20. macrumors 6502a

Jumped or pushed? (Or due to lousy file pic?)

21. macrumors 6502a

TheHateMachine

Samsung, they filed an additional lawsuit in August of last year. Last month they appended their lawsuit and added new devices (The S4) as well as Google software.

22. macrumors regular

From the story over on AI
    "In that testimony, Teksler revealed he warned late Apple CEO Steve Jobs and then-COO Tim Cook in 2010 that Samsung's smartphones may infringe on the iPhone's patents. Teksler even created a presentation outlining the patents Samsung was believed to have infringed upon, including inventions related to "rubber-banding," e-mail threading, and gesture heuristics."

So it seems like he is the one that pushed Jobs in the direction of going thermonuclear on Android.

23. macrumors 68000

iGrip

He's a traitor. He was never any good anyways. If he had any taste, he never would have left Apple. Good riddance.

24. macrumors 68020

Solomani

While it may be true he gets his orders from above.... the Above Execs will likely have listened to his counsel first BEFORE they made decisions in going into litigation wars. Most likely he has extensive legal experience as an attorney. So companies will almost always ask advice from their Patent Attorneys before deciding to go into a legal thermonuclear war.

In the end this Teksler fella played no small part on the Apple patent disputes. At least some of the blame will rightly point to him.

25. kdarling, Jun 19, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2013

macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Device engineer 30+ yrs, touchscreens 24+.
    Ironically, those attacks did more to raise public awareness of Samsung than anything Samsung had done up until then.

Heck, I bought a Samsung Tab 10.1 only because I got interested in it after all the publicity when Apple tried to get it banned in Australia. It's still one of my favorites, but I didn't even consider it before I found out that it worried Apple. Ditto for my Galaxy Nexus phone. I got curious because of the lawsuits. Thanks, Apple!

The dumb thing is that Jobs should've known this. He had experience being the one under attack. When he left Apple and formed NeXT, he took the top Apple guys with him. Apple immediately sued him for doing so.

All that happened was that it raised the Valley cred of NeXT, since the lawsuits were seen as evidence that Apple was worried about competition. History has repeated itself.