APPLES DVD-R am i blind or am i deaf

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by alexlai5050, Apr 20, 2003.

1. alexlai5050 macrumors member

Apr 9, 2003
    Apples dvd-r drive dosent RW does it
    i think thats bit crap most dvd writers have RW
    If i am wrong please correct me i am very sorry if i am
    its just that i bought a stack of 30 dvd-rw which cost me 30 quid (got them in Hong Kong) but i thinks its stupid if it dosent support them
  2. Catfish_Man macrumors 68030

Sep 13, 2001
    Portland, OR
    The Pioneer DVR-104 (Superdrive) does support DVD-RWs but I'm not sure if Apple's software does (Toast might). Even if the superdrive didn't support it, whining about it is quite unreasonable since DVD-RWs cost quite a bit more than DVD-Rs. Generally it's a good idea to check if your computer supports something before you buy it. Also, running a spell checker and/or grammar checker on your post might make it more likely to get responses (since more people would be able to understand what you're asking).
  3. menoinjun macrumors 6502a

Jul 7, 2001
    You can re-write DVD discs using DVD-RW discs and Toast Titanium.

Disc burner doesn't support it, so Apple doesn't advertise it.
  4. MisterMe macrumors G4

Jul 17, 2002
    Re: APPLES DVD-R am i blind or am i deaf

Apple's SuperDrive supports DVD-R, but not DVD-RW. Can you burn DVD-RW on your Apple DVD-R drive? Since you have the disks already, just stick them in and see if your computer recognizes them.
  5. Freg3000 macrumors 68000

Sep 22, 2002
    New York
    Re: Re: APPLES DVD-R am i blind or am i deaf

I'd imagine that the computer would recognize it the first time as a DVD-R, but I think the problem would be when you attempt to re-burn it. The computer may think it is a normal DVD movie and not a DVD-RW.
  6. menoinjun macrumors 6502a

Jul 7, 2001
    Did none of you read my post above?

The Apple Superdrive WILL support DVD-RW burning if you have Toast Titanium and DVD-RW discs. YOU NEED TOAST TO DO THIS.

7. iJon macrumors 604

Feb 7, 2002
    write to a dvd rw and then open up disc utility and see if you can erase it, if not then you need toast.

8. alexlai5050 thread starter macrumors member

Apr 9, 2003
  9. DVDSP macrumors regular

Jan 6, 2003
    Southwick, MA
    It is absolutely possible to burn to DVD-RW, I do it all the time with Toast Titanium (as mentioned above).

However, I almost always have trouble erasing the RW with Toast and have to use disc utility. Generally I'll use the Quick Erase option, if it doesn't work the first time I'll do it again, but if that fails I use the regular (read: LONG) erase.

If you are using DVD Studio Pro there is a trick to burning directly to DVD-RW but I have never tried it: When you are prompted to insert a DVD place a regular DVD-R into the drive and close. After the drive verifies there will be a pause before it starts the burn. At that time you can eject the DVD-R and insert the DVD-RW and DVD SP will write to it.