Apple's Early Prototype iPad Had a 12-Inch Display

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 18, 2012.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Earlier today, we pointed to some grainy photos of an early iPad prototype dating back to the 2002-2004 timeframe, revealing a much bulkier but otherwise fairly similar design to that seen in the device that was ultimately launched in 2010.

BuzzFeed has now posted new photos showing the prototype in full color next to an iPad 2, a comparison which shows the prototype to carry a much larger screen than seen on the iPad to date. Measuring pixel counts against the ruler shown in several of the photos reveals that the prototype device had a display measuring almost exactly 12 inches diagonally.

[​IMG]

Compared to the eventually-released iPad's 9.7-inch screen, the prototype device would have had roughly 40% more screen real estate, although it is unknown at what resolution the early device was projected to run.

[​IMG]

The prototype otherwise bears a distinct similarity to Apple's iBook of the time, carrying a white plastic shell with rounded corners and a 4:3 aspect ratio for the display. The prototype iPad measures in at just under 1-inch thick, compared to 1.35 inches for the white iBook models and the 0.34-0.50 inch range of the iPad models released to the public so far.

[​IMG]

Article Link: Apple's Early Prototype iPad Had a 12-Inch Display

2. macrumors 68040

boshii

3. macrumors 604

4. macrumors 68000

FoxyKaye

San Francisco, Terre d'Ange, Bas Lag, Gallifrey
    If this were circa 2004-2005, I'm curious as to what it would have been using for a processor: Intel Atom (which had some Kernel Extensions in Leopard, enabling a generation of Dell Mini 9/10 Hackintoshes, IIRC), ARM, Core or maybe even G4?

5. macrumors 6502a

Fortimir

It would make sense if it was going to run OS X at the time. A 12" display would be beneficial to a desktop OS. This was before the Air or MBPr would have been technologically possible.

6. macrumors G5

Macman45

:D The i-brick? I doubt they would have had the DEV support either, I'm happy with the new one...The retina screen is a joy to use..I wonder if anybody actually has one of these?

7. macrumors member

Anyone ever know what happened to the iPad with two dock connectors?

8. macrumors 68000

FoxyKaye

San Francisco, Terre d'Ange, Bas Lag, Gallifrey
    Forgot about that aspect, too. The rumors that the "iSlate" was going to run OS X, which later devolved into iOS. And YES, darnit, I know iOS is OS X-based.

9. macrumors 65816

Caliber26

I find it interesting that they did experiment with a thinner bezel.

I remember thinking how ugly that wide bezel was, when the original iPad was introduced but now that I own an iPad, and see that Apple made the decision to widen it, it makes complete sense.

10. macrumors 6502

Illusion986

I wonder how long will it take for iPad 1/2/3 to look this outdated...

11. macrumors 6502a

zephonic

12. macrumors 68030

If I had that I would,

fapfapfapfapfapfapipadfapfap

13. macrumors 65816

Caliber26

I'm pretty sure Jony Ive has one. I would give up my right nut to rummage through that man's house and office/work lab. :)

14. macrumors 6502a

Fortimir

Sold on eBay. :D

15. macrumors 65816

east85

I dig the white plastic design actually, it's so minimal and elegant. Of course with the size, not so much.

16. macrumors 6502a

afireintonto

im sure the look isn't going to change much, i mean, the look isn't really even that different from the ipad 1/2/3 and the white plastic ipad.
    the thickness is all thats really changed.

im sure in ten years the ipads we are using today will seem so thick and heavy that they will be almost 'unuseable'.

17. macrumors member

18. macrumors G5

Macman45

I wish....That would be SO collectable...Yep, his house would be an Alladins cave of cool stuff, now where do I get an invite?:)

19. macrumors 68040

California

There was a company operating at that time that would take your iBook and turn it into a touch screen machine. It was like 1500 dollars.

20. macrumors 68040

haruhiko

The iPad 1 still looked a bit like this prototype, just smaller, thinner and with the additional of a home button and aluminum back. The real breakthrough came last year, the iPad 2. The form factor is truly beautiful. With the unbelievably crisp retina display since the iPad 3, we can easily see why Apple dominates this market. ;)

21. macrumors 65816

eagandale4114

Pentium M. Source Anandtech.

22. macrumors regular

aaronsullivan

I'd buy a modern 15" iPad in a heartbeat. Cool to see this prototype as I still own an iBook like it.

23. macrumors 68000

Since this development period was just before ( or during ) the the release of the PowerBook 12" this makes perfect sense.

I'm guessing the prototype was G4 12" PowerBook internals mated with the white plastic iBook case.

24. macrumors 6502

That thing sure does look good.

I wouldn't mind trying out a 12 inch iPad though

25. macrumors 6502

Does it include a cycle of steroids so you can hold it?