Apple's "Fab Four" sign hanging in a CompUSA

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Bear, Sep 13, 2003.

1. Bear macrumors G3

There was a vertical Apple Computer banner hanging in the CompUSA I went into today.

It showed the 3 Powerbooks (12", 15" & 17") as well as the 14" iBook.

This brings up two seperate issues. Where is the 12" iBook in that listing?

And the second, calling them the Fab Four is asking for trouble. The "Fab Four" are none other then the Beatles. :confused:

2. LucasLand macrumors 6502a

LucasLand

jobs is pushing it

I think Steve is really pushing his luck. He must think his power and money will win in any lawsuit. I don't want to see Apple be the next WWF. Remember that case? World Wrestling Federation (WWF) and all its money lost out to the World Wildlife Fund (WWF). They had to change their company name, create new logos, and destroy any product that still had WWF on it. They also have to digitally block out "wwf" from all the old programs which they sell. It was a huge embarrasment for them.
    It would be a huge blow to Apple if the same thing happened to them.

3. LimeLite macrumors 6502a

LimeLite

The term "Fab Four" is not copyrighted. There's no reason in the world why they can't use it. It is ironic that it's being used in a time when they are being sued by Apple Corps., but it's far from illegal. Aren't the guys on Queer Eye for the Straight Guy referred to as the Fab Four also?

4. Freg3000 macrumors 68000

Freg3000

5. :) Not that I watch the show. But they are everywhere now a days.

Anyway, If Apple did lose, what would happen? All i can reasonably think that would happen is a fine/settlement. The iTMS wouldn't be shut down, would it?

5. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

yeah, a fine and settlement would be the extent of it-- they would draw up a new contract that would cut apple some slack, and they'd have to pay apple records $20 million or something.

But Apple will not lose. Apple Records, i don't think, has any case whatsoever. except for the breach of contract, which their lawyers will need to find a loophole in.

pnw

6. Bear thread starter macrumors G3

What about the other point? The fact that the 12" iBook wasn't on the banner?

7. Jerry Spoon macrumors 6502a

Jerry Spoon

Good question. You'd think they'd be pushing their cheapest model along w/ the other choices given that apple has the reputation of only having high priced computers.

8. mattmack macrumors 6502a

mattmack

Unless they are eliminating it and planning price drops:)

9. Stelliform macrumors 68000

Stelliform

<RANT WARNING>

I don't understand why Apple should lose. I mean I had never heard of Apple records before I got a Mac. I first heard about them when people expressed concerns over Apple Records Suing Apple Computer. So if some nothing record company that doesn't even have a web site wins this one, we know the judge is a Beatle nut. (And personally I couldn't name all the beatles or even more than one beatle. Well I know of the rhino beetle and the dung beetle. ;))

Also how come Apple Records isn't suing all of the other Apple record companies? (Bad Apple records, Big Apple Records, Black Apple Records.) Could it be that they do not have enough money? This sure isn't a good time for a music company to get litigious. (After the RIAA sued a 12 year old girl who lives in the projects.)

</RANT WARNING>

Sorry, I am so sick of lawsuits.....

10. GeeYouEye macrumors 68000

GeeYouEye

It's a dang good thing they [Apple Corp.] don't have a website. They'd be getting soooo much criticism flooding their inboxes.

11. LimeLite macrumors 6502a

LimeLite

One reason they may not have featured the 12" iBook is because it *is* the least expensive model. Does it really need to be pushed as much as the other computers? Advertise the more expensive ones, and the consumer will either buy it, or be lead to the 12" by some basic investigating.

12. dstorey macrumors 6502a

Just casuse you havn't heard of them, doesn't ean they don't have a case...many people havnt heard of Apple Coputer either for example

Also cause you havn't heard of them, doesn't mean they are a nothing record company. They have released the best selling CD of all time in Beatles 1 and many many other top selling beatles cd's and lps....Just one of these records probably sold more than the entire catalogue of many indie record label's. I guess Apple Corp are worried Apple computer will move into the record lable arena themselves with signing bands directly to the ITMS instead of through a label, then they are more or less acting as Apple Records. You can'rt really blame them for trying to protect their brand. Remember Apple legal has sued and won cases before with computer companies using Apple in thier name.

Ontopic....maybe the 14" is getting refreshed soon (hopefully with higher rez screen) and the 12" may go. What is the 15" powerbook like on the banner, is it the old ti? i cabn't imagine starting a new campaigne with the old one if it's due for refreshing

13. Stelliform macrumors 68000

Stelliform

You are right, I posted when I was tired, and for me that is a dangerous thing. However I still think that my argument about them not suing the other Apple record companies is a valid one.

I am sure the beatles still have a large following in Britian, but honestly you hear the Monkey's music here more than the beatles. :rolleyes:

And more towards the topic...

I would hate to see the 12" iBook go. It is my favorite one! It is cheap and small, great for someone who is one the go and doesn't want to risk a $1700 small powerbook. (Last I checked I think 12" refurbs were down to $799! :eek: Now that is a good deal on an Apple laptop!