Apples for the Army

Discussion in ' News Discussion' started by MacBytes, Dec 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. macrumors bot

Jul 5, 2003

Category: News and Press Releases
    Link: Apples for the Army
    Description:: The US army, smarting from earlier hacker attacks on it's computers, is looking to integrate Mac's into it's systems

Posted on
    Approved by Mudbug
  2. macrumors 6502

Jul 23, 2007
    "Lieutenant Colonel C.J. Wallington is hoping hackers won't expect it either."

oops, there goes THAT strategy :)
  3. macrumors 6502

Aug 20, 2007
    Las Vegas, NV
    I don't like the idea of the military using closed source. I wasn't particularly happy with it when a submarine running Win2K had some, er, major problems a couple years ago, and I'm not any happier with it now.

Of course, I don't like closed source in any government/public institution. One of the problems with the modern library world is the proprietary nature of their applications and the resulting vendor lock-in.

With the military, though, there are obviously larger concerns...
  4. macrumors 604

Nov 26, 2007
    yeah, that's exactly what I was thinking.
  5. macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May 19, 2002
    Now that it is finally a buzzword compliant OS with the stamp or approval from the proper people, I'd expect a few more govt. contracts.

While they might have wished a purchase order to go through under Tiger, it likely would have been nixed by the bean counters as not meeting the specs required of the OS -- which Leopard most likely now does meet.

Likely not as big a fight to push through the order.
  6. macrumors 65816

Sep 30, 2007
    Cambridge, UK
    I'd rather they had something more like this than apples:
  7. macrumors 68000

Apr 27, 2006
    in your pants
    I've always wondered why the government puts national security (such as the above quote) at the mercy of Windows. Now it looks like they're taking a step in the right direction.
  8. macrumors 6502a

Jun 24, 2003
    My dad deployed Macs in the field for logistics durning Bosnia/Kosovo Conflict. Not because of hacker vulnerabilities, but because they just got the job done and required very little maintenance and support. When he came back our house dropped the PC and we've been on Macs ever since...
  9. Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Q Division, Los Angeles
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.