Apple's G5 claims in advertising evaluation finalised.

Discussion in 'MacBytes.com News Discussion' started by MacBytes, Jun 9, 2004.

1. macrumors bot

2. macrumors 6502

3. macrumors 68000

jimsowden

Perhaps the new dual 2.5GHz 90nm can uphold Apple's origional claim of fastest personal computer. I sure wouldn't mind rubbing that in my PC firends' faces again.

4. macrumors 6502

You can have a quad proc personal computer on the x86 side. There will always be a faster option on the x86 side ;)

5. macrumors 68040

killmoms

No, you can get a quad Opteron or Xeon "workstation" (more likely a "server"), but not a "personal" computer. It's all in the wording.

--Cless

6. macrumors regular

montex

Pardon me, dopefiend, I am not aware of any quad processor PC's on the market. Please post a link to prove such a beast exists.

7. macrumors 6502

If its at a house, not used for business, then its personal :cool:

8. macrumors 6502

Heres one of the boards.

http://www.amdboard.com/tyan_s4880_opteron_board.html

Nothing but drool for that many procs! :eek:

9. macrumors regular

montex

Um, excuse me dopefiend, but that is a Server, not a "personal computer" as per your claim. Unless your idea of a personal computer is something you mount in a rack. Please post a link to a quad processor "personal computer". If you can...

10. macrumors 6502

Bleh.

I didn't post on this thread to prove anything. I have no reason to lie. Look around for yourself. You can throw a quad proc. board into some towers out there ;)

11. macrumors regular

montex

Dopefiend - you made a claim. And unless you are an asshat, you should be able to back it up with proof. All you have to point to is a motherboard and that is not a whole personal computer. Sure plenty of Uber-geeks can assemble a franken box, but that is not the point. There are just no quad processor PC's for the mass market.

The article was about Apple making claims that were not verifiable. You do that same thing and fail to see the hipocracy in what you blog.

12. macrumors 6502

Uh, why does a personal computer have to be a mass marketed one?

13. macrumors regular

montex

Good question. I guess when get down to it anything could be a PC, even my calculator could be a PC. But we are talking about the competition between Apple's personal computers vs. a Wintel brand. For example, would it make sense to compare a fancy BMW to a drag racer? Nope. They are not in the same class. So I stick by my claim that a quad processor server mobo is not anywhere near the same thing as a "personal computer".

14. macrumors regular

where to find?

How much does that mainboard cost? Where can the avarage person buy one?

If the mainboard (even without processors) costs less than $800, and if anyone can buy just one of those mainboards easily, then I supposed that it could be considered for the personal computer market, although very high-end personal computer.

I have looked and looked, and I cannot find a price or where to order it anywhere using the Google search engine.

Also, in order to be used in a personal computer, it MUST fit into an ATX case. That mainboard does not look like it will fit into an ATX case at all.

15. macrumors 6502a

dukemeiser

I have to agree with the "authority" as well. Apple was really stretching it to call it the "worlds fastest personal computer." Such a claim is hard to support with empirical evidence.

16. macrumors 6502

That board alone probably cost $1000+ hehe. Then procs alone would cost you around $500 each or so.

But who sets these "definitions" of personal computers?

What exactly makes a computer a workstation and not a personal computer?

I mean, you can get a PM up to costing $8,000+. Is the PM a workstation?

Now I'm curious :(

17. macrumors regular

After looking at the mainboard closely, I have determined that it will NOT fit into an ATX case. The PCI slots are not lined up right, the mainboard is too large to fix, and the mounting holes for the mainboard are all wrong for an ATX case.

Just about ALL PCs use ATX cases, and ALL consumer-built PCs are in ATX cases. If fact, ATX is the only option for the PC builder.

Even some Macintoshes were in slightly-modified ATX cases, such as the 8600, 9600, and some clones (like the Power Tower Pro I have, I even replaced the case with a PC ATX case).

So, unless the consumer did not want a case for his quad-processor computer, this mainboard is not an option.

And in a final note, no consumer power supply could ever power this. A computer built on this would require at least a 500 watt power supply, which can not be found in any consumer-level new computer parts store.

Although, it IS a nice mainboard, and something to drool about, however just way beyond being able to use in any personal computer.

18. macrumors 6502

:confused:

http://store.yahoo.com/saveateaglestore/ar500watatxp.html

500 watt power supplies aren't rare.

19. macrumors regular

Darn, never saw that before. And for $22.95? I might get one for my Power Computing Power Tower Pro. Too bad they are on backorder. *sigh*

(note that it is for an ATX case).

20. macrumors regular

Lets see, two heat sinks on the mainboard, before adding processors. The AMD Opteron processors displace a LOT of heat, and multiply that by four.

"The personal computer that also serves as your home furnace!"

21. macrumors 6502a

thatwendigo

Keep in mind that even mid-level Opteron processors are $350-400 a piece, which would put the system cost at $1400-1600 even without the board or any other components. That's assuming no markup by manufacturers and building your own, also.

Oh, and for your edification: It's $1,700-2,000 for the board alone.

22. macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Because then any computer can instantly become a personal computer, the instant somebody declares it one -- including one-off machines such as the VT G5 Supercomputing Cluster.

23. macrumors newbie

No AGP on that board..

I can't believe no-one has noticed that board doesn't have an AGP slot. Have fun trying to play any recent games using that Rage XL with 8MB :D

That said, that looks like it would make a nice server. Pretty expensive though compared to the stuff I buy from HP (which are Xeons, admittedly.)

24. macrumors 6502a

thatwendigo

I'd just assumed it would be like the Tyan Thunder K8W board, which did have an AGP 8x slot. Nice of you to add that little tidbit to the discussion, though, since it adds a whole new world of ugly to the idea of trying to use that thing as a desktop machine.

25. macrumors newbie

What I'd like to know is why Apple is holding out on this G8 I've heard so much about lately... I suppose they're in production in Georgia :D
    JV