Apple's Glass stair

Discussion in 'Community' started by Cadkiller, Dec 16, 2004.

1. Cadkiller macrumors member

Cadkiller

Group;

I recently went to the Apple Store down in Soho NYC and saw this huge all glass stair. It really amazed me that could do this. The stair was about 10’-0” wide with solid 3” thick glass treads that had checked surfaces and no center support or center railing. The stair treads were supported by a 2” thick glass wall and everything was connected with st/st connection brackets.

Check it out.

http://www.dupont.com/safetyglass/lgn/stories/2401.html

From;
    Edward Borg

2. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

We've got one of those in San Francisco too. It's very cool. The stairs are actually a little springy. If you jump up and down on them you can feel it. (Yes, I place a lot of faith in the engineers ;))

3. goodtimes5 macrumors 6502a

goodtimes5

I remember the first time I walked up those glass stairs, I felt as if I were floating into Mac-heaven.

4. maya macrumors 68040

maya

Some neat futuristic technology implemented today. Look nice indeed. :)

No Apple store where I live yet. :(

When there is an Apple store open in 2005 I hope these glass stairs make it in the design of the store. :)

5. Vector macrumors 6502a

Vector

The glass stair case in the london store is even more amazing. You can probably find some picks by searching the threads here for it, but i am too lazy.

Apple actually holds the patents on the brackets and design that compose the staircases. I found the patents and the drawings associated with them when i was running a patent search a few months ago.

6. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

Just a quick question: aren't the glass stairs...um...a bit revealing...for the ladies, if you get what I mean? :p

7. panphage macrumors 6502

Yes, yes they are. I've seen these stairs in LA at the "Grove" :rolleyes: but I thought they were plastic.

8. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Do you think I could get a Slinky to walk down those stairs at The Grove? I think they are probably spaced too far apart, but maybe it's worth a try. I've never seen a Slinky walking from below.

[​IMG]

9. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    You can't stand directly under the stairs so no chance for pervs to stand there with camera phones :rolleyes:

Having said that, I was waiting in the checkout queue on Wednesday night, admiring the staircase and there were quite a few inadvertent flashes of thigh from women coming back down the stairs. I made a mental note never to go upstairs with a skirt on!

10. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

Ah! That's why they blocked off the space under the glass stairs in London. I thought it was a bit of a waste.

11. panphage macrumors 6502

You can either stand directly under them or close enough as makes no difference in LA. But LA is like that, I guess. :D EDIT: Now I've seen the Chicago pic, that's the same as the Grove store in LA. Not directly underneath but I'd still not want to go up those stairs in a kilt!

On a related note, didn't I read that some fellow got arrested for the camera-on-shoe trick?

12. hcuar macrumors 65816

hcuar

13. maya macrumors 68040

maya

That was one of my concerns too however I might as well wear pants then going into an Apple Store or not go upstairs with a skirt. :)

14. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

I got the impression, from photo's, that the glass stairs were either etched or frosted in some way as to appear somewhat opague. Are they really transparent? Ewwww....

15. Vector macrumors 6502a

Vector

The glass treads of the staircasee are frosted glass, so it isn't like you could really get much of a view through them.

16. joetronic macrumors 6502

The Towson MD store dosn't have a nice stair case, its only one floor. Beutifull store though. I love the hardwood and soft colors. My wife and I are actually using it as an example when we remodel our house this spring.

17. Mike Teezie macrumors 68020

Mike Teezie

I'm sure the designers assumed if you had the infinite wisdom and taste to be in a Mac store, you probably wouldn't be juvenile enough to want to look up womens' skirts.

18. palusami macrumors regular

palusami

no, us mac enthusiasts, in our infinite wisdom, typically just walk up to the chic and lift their skirts up....

:p

(that's a joke!)

19. applekid macrumors 68020

Been there once. Quite crowded the time I went because it was during one of those holiday sales. It's also one of the smaller stores, if I'm not mistaken. Nevertheless, the way Apple designs their stores are quite spiffy.

20. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    The treads are frosted but the back of each step is clear. You're not going to see everything but let's just say that unless there's a really cute guy in the queue, I'm still not gong upstairs in an Apple store wearing a skirt! ;)

21. spasticmutant macrumors member

Do you happen to recall your search criteria or a patent #? I'd love to read them. A quick scan through the US PTO database was fun and interesting (like the patent on the use of Titanium as a computer casing, and the methods for detecting free fall so the hard-drive head can automatically park to minimize damage to the platters) but I found nothing on the stair brackets. Or is this an international patent?

Anne Marie

22. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

When I saw these stairs in The Incredibles, I immediately thought of the Apple ones :)

Attached Files:

23. maya macrumors 68040

maya

I would not be surprised:

Pixar ------------> Steve Jobs <----------------Apple

Bound to share ideas. :)

24. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

25. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

I agree, it was like walking up to Mac Heaven the first time i was at the Chicago store on vacation.

I believe that all of the flagship stores have the glass staircase. If you look at the Tokyo or Osaka store, it is actually a spiral one.