Apple's Google Now Competitor 'Today' Features Traffic Information on Frequently Visited Locations

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 12, 2013.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

In iOS 7, Apple has included a new Notification Center feature called Today, which the company says is designed to provide users with the day's events at a glance, including information like birthdays, weather details, and traffic reports.

We've unearthed additional details about how Today works, including how Apple gathers information to provide traffic details on frequently traveled routes. In the location settings section of iOS 7, there's a new feature called "Frequent Locations," which Apple says "suggests locations of interest based on historical location usage."

[​IMG]
    Frequent Locations stores information about locations that have been visited multiple times and it appears to pair with another "Traffic" setting to provide commute details on locations a user visits on a regular basis, as seen in the screenshot below. It is unclear, however, if these traffic notifications appear based on the time of day. For example, they could appear only during a morning or evening commute to work.

[​IMG]
    Users have found other interesting items in the 'Today' panel, including a suggestion of an early bedtime for an upcoming busy day.

[​IMG]
    It appears that location settings in iOS 7 have a wide range of capabilities, which could see the Notification Center including even more detailed information as iOS 7 evolves. In a report earlier today, The Next Web estimated that iOS 7 would see a number of design changes before being released this fall. We have additional details on iOS 7, including major changes, small updates, and new APIs.

(Thanks Olivier and John!)

Article Link: Apple's Google Now Competitor 'Today' Features Traffic Information on Frequently Visited Locations

2. macrumors 65816

musika

This is the kind of stuff I like to see Apple adding to iOS. The today feature is great. It also tells you what time your alarm is set for, too.

Love it.

3. macrumors 68020

gmanist1000

This is direct competition to Google Now. I like it :)

4. macrumors member

An Apple take on Google Now. Clearly trying to integrate it more into the OS though by not classing it as a separate app altogether.

5. macrumors regular

You mean that it is a perfect rebrand of Google Now... right?

It seems from now onwards we don't need to guess any rumour for future updates... just list the most popular ones after each new version... and there you go, implemented in the next innovative, amazing, incredible, phenomenal, never seen before iOS

6. macrumors 6502

sputnikv

google now

7. macrumors 6502a

bboucher790

"Today, you can go on MacRumors to complain about iOS 7 icons."

- Scott Forstall's iPhone

8. macrumors 6502

ka-spot

what about the haswell retina 13"? next month? this fall? late feb'14?

9. macrumors regular

crossifixio

I found this amusing as well! My phone is telling me to go to bed!

Attached Files:

• 1.PNG
      1.PNG
      File size:
      234.3 KB
      Views:
  10. macrumors 6502

I kinda see this as Apple's simpler response to Google Now. Its got great implementation though.

11. macrumors 603

saving107

So a few years ago this was a "bug" and now its a feature?

Apple issues statement on location tracking; software update on the way
    http://bgr.com/2011/04/27/apple-issues-statement-on-location-tracking-software-update-on-the-way/

12. macrumors 6502a

Weather

How are they getting the weather to appear ?

13. Editor

jclo

Staff Member

Ha, that is awesome!

14. macrumors 603

kas23

Apple Now, I mean, Today. If you can't beat 'em, join 'em, I guess.

15. Editor

jclo

Staff Member

16. macrumors regular

Privacy first!

I want to get the whole "NSA/PRISM" BS dealt with first before I allow any vendor to provide such tracking-based services.

17. macrumors 68020

Who else but Siri!?!?
    <studio audience applause>

18. macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

I noticed this and the first thing i thought was Google Now

19. macrumors 6502

20. macrumors 603

kas23

The government has proven that whatever data exists, it has direct access to.

21. macrumors member

--

trying to respond to google now in subtle ways, that's what they're doing. and i think is the right thing to do

22. macrumors 65816

SPNarwhal

:)

23. macrumors 6502

I think subtle is what most people want really too. Google Now is cool and if you live in the Google World can be really helpful. For the average person though more subtle little things may be more helpful. These types of features plus the send directions to your phone from the desktop may end up being more often used than a direct Google Now clone.

24. Editor

jclo

Staff Member

I added this to the post :)

25. macrumors regular

darkknight14

Quirky, Love it. I know its only a small feature, but you know the saying. Right?