Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

billystlyes

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2004
I know companies copy from one another, but thank god for Google. They are the only ones pushing things forward.

Dolorian

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2007
I know companies copy from one another, but thank god for Google. They are the only ones pushing things forward.

Not really, other companies are innovating in many different areas as well. Apple in particular set forth some really nice innovations in OS X Mavericks (battery and performance related improvements, improvements to Mission Control and Safari, etc) and in hardware (the new Mac Pro is super innovative). In iOS 7 the inclusion of AirDrop (even tho it is proprietary and works only on Apple devices) is something that is new and imo more elegant to the NFC bumping that the likes of Samsung have been bragging about.

I readily admit being the resident Google fanboy here at MacRumors but, really, to say that only Google is innovating is just incorrect.

radiohead14

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2008
nyc
Not really, other companies are innovating in many different areas as well. Apple in particular set forth some really nice innovations in OS X Mavericks (battery and performance related improvements

give proper credit where it's due - intel

pettifogger06

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2011
Just waiting for Siri to be able to compete in any way with Google/Google Now voice. The difference is just stunning. Same for maps too I guess.

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
It really looks like ICS/JellyBean, only with more colorful background.

Nuff said

You can interpret it yourself.

Syk

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2010
So will this feature be available on the iPhone 4 or disabled sine the also doesn't have Siri?

wirelessness

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2010
Oddly inconsistent Today Page

In the Beta release of the Today page it is somewhat inconsistent. You can open the Weather App buy tapping on the weather information displayed there. You can open the Stocks App the same way. But if you click on anything relating to Calendar information the Calendar App does not open. I'm sure they will fix this.

I somewhat preferred the scrolling weather and stock data in the old notification center but I might get used to this way.

MegamanX

macrumors regular
May 13, 2013
This is direct competition to Google Now. I like it :)

and sadly it will fail to deliver.

----------

It is just showing what siri told you 2 years ago in text, one year before google now was a thing. Google now being a rehash of siri anyway.

umm yeah you never have used google now.

Google now voice features are not a big part of it. Heck I personally rarely use the voice part minus saying things like "Google Navigate home" Heck I am pretty sure that is the most common exact phrase I use.

What I like about google now is it will pop up traffic and weather cards at the top. It will alert me if traffic is bad and will I am running the risk to be late for work. It figured out what time I tend to get there on its own.

Also things like tracking information for online orders are automatically put in there and I can track it from inside now. It has my next calendar appointments and so on.
THe voice parts are very little of Now services.

BruiserB

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2008
Who cares? You must have a pretty boring job history if you've never worked where you were required to be fingerprinted.

My comment was meant in jest.

However, I don't think I have ever been fingerprinted for work despite having what I'd consider a pretty interesting job history....have lived on 3 continents and worked on 6. My company doesn't have a plant in Antarctica yet.

I do think I may have had my fingerprints taken to enter Brazil a couple of times, but that was just in retaliation for the fact that the US was doing that to visiting Brazilians. Wondering what fascinating job history you have that required fingerprints?

rydewnd2

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2007
New York City
You mean that it is a perfect rebrand of Google Now... right?

It seems from now onwards we don't need to guess any rumour for future updates... just list the most popular ones after each new version... and there you go, implemented in the next innovative, amazing, incredible, phenomenal, never seen before iOS

So Apple is not allowed to compete in spaces they don't invent? If that's the case Android should never have existed, Google+ rips off Facebook, Google maps rips off mapquest, Google mail rips off exchange, Google voice ripped off Skype... Etc etc. you could literally go on for days with all the products they pretty much directly rip or absorb. The innovation is taking these ideas and improving upon the experience or offering a different take, which this clearly does. To expect apple to no enter the adaptive systems space simply because Google was there first is silly.

Dolorian

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2007
umm yeah you never have used google now.

Google now voice features are not a big part of it. Heck I personally rarely use the voice part minus saying things like "Google Navigate home" Heck I am pretty sure that is the most common exact phrase I use.

What I like about google now is it will pop up traffic and weather cards at the top. It will alert me if traffic is bad and will I am running the risk to be late for work. It figured out what time I tend to get there on its own.

Also things like tracking information for online orders are automatically put in there and I can track it from inside now. It has my next calendar appointments and so on.
THe voice parts are very little of Now services.

Indeed, MegamanX (awesome game by the way!) has it right. A lot of people tend to confuse Google Voice Search with Google Now and they are really very different things. Even tho search results do incorporate cards populated with info from the Knowledge Graph. Google Now is the card system which brings up game scores, research topics, places, maps, stocks, package tracking, movies, nearby places, and more based on your location, searches, emails, browsing history and such. While you can do voice commands in Google Now like writing notes, setting events, alarms/reminders, playing music and the like, that is something distinct from the automated Card System that is the core of Google Now.

campingsk8er

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2011
Elizabethtown, PA
i really like this. It's not going to be much help for me during the school year when I'm away at Uni, seeing that I'm campus most of the time, but during the summer when I work, it'll be pretty great!

danahn17

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2009
Can we please put an end to this nonsense? I'm so tired of having to read through dozens of "who stole what from whom" posts. Apple innovates. Google innovates. Google Now was innovative. Today innovates on top of Now. You're not going to win this argument. Nobody is. Can we stop?

Am I missing something? I'm failing to see how Today innovates on top of Now... except for it telling me to sleep earlier :eek:

So Apple is not allowed to compete in spaces they don't invent? If that's the case Android should never have existed, Google+ rips off Facebook, Google maps rips off mapquest, Google mail rips off exchange, Google voice ripped off Skype... Etc etc. you could literally go on for days with all the products they pretty much directly rip or absorb. The innovation is taking these ideas and improving upon the experience or offering a different take, which this clearly does. To expect apple to no enter the adaptive systems space simply because Google was there first is silly.

I agree, the whole "we were first!" or "you copy!" thing is a bit silly. But I'm thinking the responses on this thread regarding Today is partly due to the harsh criticisms on the forums in the past directed at any company (Google, Samsung, etc) copying Apple.

peterdevries

macrumors 68040
Feb 22, 2008
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
You mean that it is a perfect rebrand of Google Now... right?

It seems from now onwards we don't need to guess any rumour for future updates... just list the most popular ones after each new version... and there you go, implemented in the next innovative, amazing, incredible, phenomenal, never seen before iOS

Ugh, this X steals from Y and Z doesn't innovate but X does, is getting so old.

This is how markets work. Car manufacturers do the same, toothpaste manufacturers do the same and washing powder manufacturers do the same.

It's how economies and markets work. Get over it and start enjoying the device. The companies are in a competition, not us customers. We benefit from it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.