Apple's heavy laptop lineup

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by sir42, May 16, 2006.

1. sir42 macrumors 6502

While the new MacBooks look great, I'm moderately bummed that the lightest laptop Apple now has in its line is 5.2 lbs. To me that's still too heavy to carry around for everyday use. I'd love a light 4 lb notebook to throw in my bag to take with me on my adventures around the city. Dell has a 12.1" widescreen laptop that's just 4.1 lbs. If only it had OS X...

2. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Stunning.

I never thought I'd see the day when 5.2 lbs was "too heavy."

3. imacintel macrumors 68000

Try lugging around my 15 inch Compaq presario r4225ca. @8.3 pounds, I was ticked. They said it was 6.

4. w_parietti22 macrumors 68020

Thats without the battery of course! :rolleyes:

5. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Nor any drives (including the hard drive)!

6. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

I know what you are talking (typing ;) ) about. I once had a 15" HP laptop that weighed 8-9lbs and that thing was a pain in the butt to lug around. :rolleyes:

7. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

I dunno, I see eye-to-eye w/ the OP. I'd love a lighter laptop. 5 lbs might not be all that much, but it really adds up. A decent sleeve/ case is easily close to another lb. Then either an extra battery, or the charger, a binder or two, notebooks, textbooks, BAM! It's heavy. :eek:

8. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

I can understand your point devilot (especially since I am a commuter at college). It would be nice if Apple made a 4lb or less notebook- but I think the MacBook will fit my needs perfectly. :)

9. iKat macrumors newbie

iKat

Well, I have an MBP (got it 5/5) and I also have a 2000 IBM ThinkPad. It's at LEAST 10lbs. I'm 100% happy with the sizes of the computers apple has out right now.

10. celebrian23 macrumors 65816

celebrian23

I expected the macbooks to be lighter- that could have swayed me to a macbook. :p Weight is a big issue if you're carrying it around a lot. 5.2 lbs. isn't that much if you're carrying it to your car or from your desk to your bed, but it's a lot day after day after day.

11. bodeh6 macrumors 6502a

bodeh6

If you think 5 lbs is too much weight vs 4 lbs, I suggest that you start hitting the gym "you weak pathetic little man" <- in Arnold Schwarzenegger voice:D

12. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

"Allegedly" Apple is developing the MacBook Thin (bottom of page), which will be lighter and lower-powered (almost certainly will be a Core Solo). I wouldn't put too much stock in the specifics at this point, but the development of the machine itself certainly seems reasonable.

13. plinkoman macrumors 65816

plinkoman

i lug my 17" powerbook around all the time, and i don't even notice the weight, i'm sure you can handle 5lbs. :p