Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

smulji

macrumors 68030
Feb 21, 2011
Just because Steve is no more does not make him right in all terms. His theory of A hiring A+ players is a consulting jargon used for many years across organizations. Its termed in the same coin 4 grades of managers. "the bozo explosion" where did that come from. I can guarantee Apple is filled up with those as well. Its just that they have made a great cash cow product that works well.

I love the iPhone but the remaining are just at par and a beauty toys for home. If it hadn't been for the advent of iPhone the apple stock would still be a struggling factor if you all remember.

""the bozo explosion" where did that come from." Here;

http://www.forbes.com/sites/ericjackson/2012/01/31/why-every-company-needs-a-no-bozo-policy/

"I can guarantee Apple is filled up with those as well."

You can?

robeddie

Suspended
Jul 21, 2003
Atlanta
They totally should have hired the other dude in the video, the one with the beard. Now he's DEFINATELY cool enough to work for Apple.

This dork Kevin ... not so much. :p

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
The Australian government warned that using Apple Maps data could be deadly. That's pretty extreme. The bad data likely has caused other problems that have not risen to an official warning from a major country's government.

The current Australian government don't get it. They don't get it in many many ways. So really it's not extreme. I'd ignore anything they say and chalk it up to incompetence at governing a country. I am Australian, and I realise, when our current government, makes a statement like that, you foreigners are like "That's pretty extreme" but in reality it's "meh shutup, we know better". And we do know better.

So lessons to be learnt here:

1. Apple Maps data is not that deadly.
2. The current Australian government should not be listened to.

hasanahmad

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2009
I honestly think Gruber is the worst evangelist for a product any company can have. Guy is a complete shill and can't accept any criticism of Apple

----------

Lynch might not be A grade but Gruber is definitely a D grade blogger

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2010
here and there but not over there
I'd refuse to hire him based entirely on this video... If you can act then become an actor, if you can't act then stay the hell away from video cameras!! He just looks like a dick.

It just shows how much class Apple has - hire someone despite of trashing Apple in his old position where he was put into a position (by Apple) to defend one of the major products. They overcome the childlike tantrums and don't do the I-don't-talk-to-you-because-you-were-mean-to-us-in-the-past and hired him probably because of his skills and also see that he can be a fun guy. Now Lynch just has to show that he can live up to the expectations of the new job, but I am sure there are good reasons why he was hired.

unlinked

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2010
Ireland
Yes, Flash IS bad. It uses at least 100% more CPU resources on my iMac than HTML5 does. Not to mention it's usually the culprit when my iMac crashes. It's bad because it's inefficient, buggy, and poorly programmed.

If Flash is crashing your iMac there is a problem with your iMac or OS X. Normal user programs shouldn't ever be able to crash a machine.

Boomchukalaka

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2009
Kevin Lynch while working for Adobe did what anyone in his position would have done. He defended the product he was being paid to defend from an attack by an outside source. The outside source in this case happened to be Jobs, and Lynch did what he was being paid to do, he defended Adobe's position. What else was he supposed to do, call a presser and say "Ya, Steve's right, our product is crap and we are approaching irrelevancy in this area."

Time like technology marches on, new opportunities present themselves.
Not sure why being loyal to the company paying your salary is being looked upon by the armchair CEO's as a bad thing.

FloatingBones

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2006
What was he supposed to do, say Flash is horrible? He was supportive of his company's products; he will do that at Apple as well.

I would like to have seen Adobe publicly announce a phase-out of Flash for all computer browsers -- a hard line drawn in the sand -- and full encouragement of distribution of Flash through apps and in platforms' respective app stores.

I'd also like to see Adobe remove javascript functionality from their PDF reader. Having scripting available in Printable Document Format files has huge downside (malware) while having essentially no upside for anyone.

Flash Player and Adobe Reader are currently 2 of the 3 primary vectors for malware on Macs. Taking a stand to remove these vectors for modern computers would make PCs far safer and would be a huge PR move for Adobe. I don't quite know why they didn't do this; perhaps admitting the obvious security problems with Flash and their PDF reader would open them to liability.

And he obviously won't be working on Flash implementation at Apple (it's been dead at Apple for a while, and it's dying everywhere else).

I agree that Lynch would and should have nothing to do with Flash at Apple. At the same time, you should note: Flash is not dead. Flash plays just fine with the app store model; Flash apps like Machinarium have done quite well in the various app stores. Flash runs just fine on Macs, iPads, iPhones and the iPad touch -- as long as the Flash apps come through the App stores. Adobe supports the distribution of Flash code through all available App Stores: Apple, Blackberry (RIM), Android, etc.

The evil is not Flash or Java; the evil is the running of Flash/Java code in the browser. Distributing Flash/Java code through app stores avoids these problems. Simple.

Last edited:

JoeIsInTheCloud

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2013
He was an advocate for his company and his brand. Doesn't mean he loved flash as a product. He's an adult, he can separate professional decisions from personal ones.

Absolutely. And he'll probably bring the same loyalty zeal to his VP position at Apple.

I have a little more faith in Tim Cook's ability to screen a candidate for a job at Apple than I do John Gruber's. John has great insight and leads, but he's far from a fly on the wall of the conference room.

The Bowett deal -- people, let it go. Do your homework and count how may times Steve Jobs himself brought in a "bozo" to not only Apple but NeXT and Pixar in his lifetime.

Glideslope

macrumors 604
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
Really, really, Bad Hire. End of story. :apple:

----------

Absolutely. And he'll probably bring the same loyalty zeal to his VP position at Apple.

I have a little more faith in Tim Cook's ability to screen a candidate for a job at Apple than I do John Gruber's. John has great insight and leads, but he's far from a fly on the wall of the conference room.

The Bowett deal -- people, let it go. Do your homework and count how may times Steve Jobs himself brought in a "bozo" to not only Apple but NeXT and Pixar in his lifetime.

Joe,

Been in the Cloud Too Long. Come back to earth, eh? ;)

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
He was an advocate for his company and his brand. Doesn't mean he loved flash as a product. He's an adult, he can separate professional decisions from personal ones.

This.

It was his job to be an evangelist for Adobe products. Of course he was vocal about it.

Look at Stephen "Stepto" Toulouse, former XBOX Live Director of Enforcement. He was militantly pro-Xbox when he worked for Microsoft, but has recently said that he has multiple Playstations now, and not a single Xbox. And he left Microsoft under good terms, so it wasn't a "sour grapes" thing, either. He evangelized his company's product when he worked there, and revealed his true feelings when he left.

mdelvecchio

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2010
I'm a big fan of Gruber. I follow his site and podcast regularly and generally think he is a cool and balanced guy.

This type of personal attack, not separating the person from the company, is very strange.

In my opinion Gruber knows something about the guy, if not, he would post things like we posted recently.

Very unlike Gruber IMHO ...

it's not personal at all to suggest somebody is a professional bozo. See John Dvorak.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
It was his job to be an evangelist for Adobe products. Of course he was vocal about it.\

CTO is an evangelist position at Adobe? Seems like as CTO, he'd have been directly involved in the decision to continue to develop Flash for mobile for too long.

Snowshiro

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2008
What an inane argument. Gruber seems to have lost his way since Jobs died. All he can do these days is continue to relive past glories by harking back to what "Steve would have done". Steve consistently defended any Apple technology, regardless of whether it was flawed or not. Just look back at antennagate or any other misstep by apple under his tenure. Gruber has no idea what Steve would do, any more than anyone else. If he did, he'd be CEO of Apple. Pretending that Kevin Lynch is a bozo for doing the same is just childish attention seeking from a blogger who knows he isn't relevant any more.

Tigger11

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2009
Rocket City, USA
I truly hope Tim would indeed lead the company in the right direction.

If Apple does need to hire one guy, I prefer bringing back Scott Forstall instead of this Chief Flash Officer. (At least Scott is an A player.)

Having dealt with Scott on more then on occasion, I would prefer Tim hire a magic 8-ball instead. Its just as informative and far fewer good employees quit for having been yelled at by the 8-Ball. I wouldn't consider him an A player, in fact I'm not sure I'd give him a passing grade.

navigates

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
""the bozo explosion" where did that come from." Here;

http://www.forbes.com/sites/ericjackson/2012/01/31/why-every-company-needs-a-no-bozo-policy/

"I can guarantee Apple is filled up with those as well."

You can?

Thanks for the link on Forbes. Guarantee is seeing the norms of every company in the US. You cannot sustain a hiring practice without getting a few under the curve. The so called A+ graders would require a higher investment and probably not required for the type of work done.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Didn't Steve Jobs ask for Adobe to show them a version of flash that didnt crash and/or eat up tons of battery life, and they couldn't?

That's what makes it so funny about how these Adobe clowns are saying "they can't get it to run on the iphone".

I think Adobe didn't care very much about the quality of Flash on the Mac, and it showed. Apple obviously cared. Then things changed, Mac market share has been growing, and iOS share among the potential Flash market is enormous. I think Adobe has worked hard to improve Flash, but it happened too late, when nobody cared anymore.

My first real big annoyance was when I visited a website where I _needed_ some information, and it told me that it didn't work because Flash for Windows wasn't installed (on my Mac), and offered my where I could download Flash for Windows to my Mac. (Flash for MacOS X was installed).

Then one day, several crashes while browsing, went through crash reports, and I had nine Safari crashes in a day, all inside Flash. There's the point where you give up.

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
CTO is an evangelist position at Adobe? Seems like as CTO, he'd have been directly involved in the decision to continue to develop Flash for mobile for too long.

I don't know about where you work, but at three mid-to-large companies I've worked for, the CTO is *NOT* in direct charge of engineering. At my current company, "evangelist" is probably the best description of him! (The VP of Research & Development is the one in charge of engineering, and he reports directly to the CEO.)

64Mario64

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2013
"continued cheerleading for Flash"

Biased article? Well I agree with the bias. Flash is stupid.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.