Apple's Holiday Quarter iPad Sales Estimated to Hit Record 25 Million

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 22, 2014.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple will announce its next quarterly earnings on Monday, January 27, and ahead of the announcement analysts are releasing their iPhone and iPad sales estimates for this holiday quarter. As we noted earlier this week, analysts predict record quarterly sales of 55 million iPhones, a 16% increase over the same quarter last year. A follow-up report today from Philip Elmer-Dewitt of Fortune suggests sales of the iPad will grow 10% year-over-year to also set a new record for Apple.

[​IMG]
    Elmer-Dewitt surveyed iPad sales estimates from 45 analysts, including 28 professionals and 17 amateurs. Estimates range from 21 million to 28 million units, with an average of 25 million units.
    Early metrics from the holiday season mirror these analyst expectations. By one count, the iPad lineup collectively accounted for 18% of Target's Black Friday sales, while the iPad mini was a top seller at Walmart. The App Store also experienced a spike in interest on Christmas day, with revenue increasing by 56 percent and the total number of downloads growing by 53 percent.

Apple will be reporting its quarterly earnings on January 27, 2014 after the close of trading, at approximately 4:30 PM Eastern / 1:30 PM Pacific. MacRumors will have full coverage of Apple's earnings release and the associated conference call taking place at 5:00 PM Eastern / 2:00 PM Pacific.

Article Link: Apple's Holiday Quarter iPad Sales Estimated to Hit Record 25 Million

2. Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Not surprising since I saw the crowded apples stores where I live.

3. macrumors 68020

iapplelove

Seriously at this point who hasn't bought an iPad ?

4. macrumors 65816

luckydcxx

I guess Cook is doing something right.

5. macrumors regular

mdridwan47

Apple is DOOMED!!

6. M-O
    macrumors 6502a

M-O

we all know that one, lonely guy who has a microsoft surface.

7. macrumors 6502

512ke

Who is buying their second or third iPad?

Lots of people.

8. macrumors G5

Rogifan

And the other day AAPL was downgraded to hold because some firm thinks iPhone sales are soft. These guys don't have a clue.

9. macrumors newbie

time to short AAPL. :p

10. macrumors 6502a

Next up: "Apple's Holiday Quarter App Store Sales Estimated to Hit Record Number"

It's funny seeing MacRumors scramble for stuff post since Apple is really keeping a tight seal on their product development. The doubling down on secrecy is now actually working and we're seeing the effects in increasingly random and pointless news posts. Oh well.......makes it more exciting since we might actually be surprised by what Apple announces next. :D

11. macrumors demi-god

firedept

Certainly will keep you in business with these kind of reports. Does not hurt the bottom line either.

12. macrumors member

This would be great news for any other company, however, the official report will come out on the 27th and the stock price will still go down as investors complain that 'there was no innovation'.

13. macrumors 68020

the iPad Air is an amazing device. I don't have one, but damn sure do want one...

14. macrumors 68040

KdParker

This is expected. Looks like the iPad will be a gateway for people that haven't jumped on the iPhone bandwagon yet.

15. macrumors 6502

512ke

Investors are so wrong about Apple, Google and Yahoo in my arrogant opinion.

Apple. On fire. Coming up.

Google. Dangerously dependent on selling ads as it's sole source if big revenue.

Yahoo. Way overvalued on the promise of making money while they don't care if each kindle loses money.

Google glass. Amazon drone delivery. Loud. Non money making. Publicity stunts.

Apple. Secret. Focused. Buy only companies you need.

16. macrumors 6502a

2 different beasts - 52% of Apple's revenue comes from iPhone while only 17% comes from iPad.

iPhone sales could in fact be soft but, as a Fanboy, you don't want to hear that kind of stuff.

17. macrumors newbie

As usual, most folks here (the same ones who love to mock the 'Street) fail to see the obvious...

Has the tablet market grown more or less than the iPad's sales growth?!?

If the iPad's growth is more than the general tablet market's growth = Apple is gaining market share;

If the iPad's growth is less than the general tablet market's growth = Apple is actually LOSING market share (even if their total sales numbers have gone up).

OK, now you can resume your smart and witty "Apple is doomed" attempt at sarcasm and "Wall Street is stupid" comments...

18. macrumors 6502a

How dare you introduce logic and rationality in these forums....:rolleyes:

19. macrumors 6502a

szw-mapple fan

Kindles does lose money, but I don't recall Yahoo making them.:D

20. AngerDanger, Jan 22, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2014

macrumors 68000

AngerDanger

[​IMG]
    This guy.

21. macrumors 6502

I have a friend who has never owned an iOS device and he is supposedly Apple fan. I seriously wonder about him...

22. macrumors G3

Renzatic

Maybe he likes Macs, but not iDevices.

Either way, I'd keep an eye out on him, because he might go all Samsung on you one day.

23. macrumors 68000

doelcm82

I'm on my fourth. (Fifth, if you count replacing a dropped one.)

24. macrumors 68030

BvizioN

I know someone on my workplace who hasn't :)

25. macrumors 6502a

Bonte

Well, it certainly feels much more than 10% growth to me, every family bought a second or third iPad an lots of people dumping there Android for an iPad. So it should be at least 30 million, no real reason why Apple would sell less iPads than iPhones in the long run.

[​IMG]