Apple's home page: message about tsunamis

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Doctor Q, Dec 28, 2004.

1. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Apple's home page is now a message saying "Our hearts reach out to those hurt by the Indian Ocean tsunamis" with a link to the United States Agency for International Development labeled "Learn more about how you can help the survivors and their families".

I'm glad to see Apple acknowledging what's going on in Sri Lanka, Indonesia, India, and the other neighboring countries, and supporting the aid programs, including the American Red Cross.

Attached Files:

2. neoelectronaut macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

3. Doctor Q thread starter Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

You can have all the credit you like. We're both informing forum members. The important message is the one from Apple.

4. neoelectronaut macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

Indeed. This is a bold move by Apple and should be commended for it.

Think we'll see this out of any other sites?

Edit: Amazon has a giant link on their front page.

Attached Files:

5. MacFan25863 macrumors 6502a

MacFan25863

6. loneAzdgari macrumors member

It's insane. I can't even fathom 60,000 people dying. That's nearly the population of the island I used to live on. (Isle of Wight, south of Britain)

7. MrSugar macrumors 6502a

MrSugar

It is good to see so many good companies helping to get people involved. I have donated some of my own funds through Apple's links.

I have to mention that Microsoft.com hasn't done anything to their page. Way to set an example. ... .

8. abhishekit macrumors 65816

abhishekit

Being from India, its specially heartening to see that.

May god be with us...

9. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

I see Microsoft is being an a** with this situation and is offering nothing and don't mention this incident at all.

http://www.microsoft.com/

10. hob macrumors 68020

hob

But that's because Google, Apple, Yahoo are good companies with "good karma" as SJ would say...

Microsoft is just out to make money, and I don't think they feel it's their place... or something... I picked a PC company at random - IBM. They've got nothing no their site either...

Hob

11. redAPPLE macrumors 68030

redAPPLE

dell.com doesn't say anything either... i really wish i could spare some change for the people in asia. i just hope my heartfelt thoughts and prayers would be good enough.

12. hob macrumors 68020

hob

I think it's important to remember the tragic events, but it's important to remember - Yahoo, Google even Apple are trying to be more social sites... Sites people visit every day. These other companies are technology companies... I don't think they have a social conscience...

Hob

13. Doctor Q thread starter Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I wouldn't necessarily fault a company for not putting up a notice about a natural disaster, even one of this scale. Forgoing a little advertising while drumming up charitable donations is one way to react, as Apple did. But another company might choose to leave their web site unchanged (business as usual) but send a donation directly to charity themselves. And many companies do so without making a lot of noise about it. Maybe Apple did too.

14. Daveman Deluxe macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

Apple is to be commended for this kind of display, as well as the other sites linked. I'm epsecially impressed with Apple's method: The graphic dominates the front page, and even the four pictures near the bottom of the fold, where computer links usually are, are instead links to charitable organizations. I'm glad to see that people are willing to forego some advertising for other people in need.

15. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I saw that this morning when I visited apple.com, very impressed by its dominance of the first page. It shows compassion on the part of Apple. They have a history this type of public service. Just another example of a great company that we hold in high esteem.

16. bennetsaysargh macrumors 68020

bennetsaysargh

well it's all good karma for them. :)
    who else believes in karma? it's worked wonders for me in many ways.

17. MacFan26 macrumors 65816

MacFan26

Very nice to see, I was even surprised to see that they used the whole page. Good for them.

18. jimsowden macrumors 68000

jimsowden

Putting up a link is one ling, but leading by example is another. How many of these billion dolar companies have done one thing that costs them a cent? I saw a segment on CNBC about how GE donated 1mil, andother one 2mil. It would be tacky to brag, but tasteless to ask without giving.

19. asif786 macrumors 65816

asif786

I dont think that this will be the end for apple in terms of charitable giving.

Steve doesn't seem like a selfish person to me. I reckon Apple will have another big PR stunt lined up with regards to this. Perhaps they're gonna say 'for every ipod sold this quarter, we'll donate $1/$5/$10' or something like that.

I know apple isn't a charity, but with U2 working with them now, I think something like this wouldnt be so hard to believe..

/asif

20. Darwin macrumors 65816

Darwin

Well with the Band Aid pricing recently they were happy to donate the difference for each song purchased so it seems they will continuing with charitable giving :)

21. pawnstar macrumors member

very cool what Apple has done :)

company I do some work for gave some ad space and stuff

http://www.mobilegamefaqs.com/

only one halfway down page and a news story with more links, better than nothing

we'll see if we can do something more…

22. asif786 macrumors 65816

asif786

well done, every little helps. I think it's great!

It's so important that at a time like this everyone pulls together and does everything they can to help.

/asif

23. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

Thanks for pointing that out. I am kinda proud to be owning a computer by a company that does things like that (though that might sound weird).
    I think it is a great move. I for one won't be buying fireworks this New Years and will be donating this money. They need every little bit.

24. sebisworld macrumors 6502

Amazon...

Have a look at that great deal.

Attached Files: