Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

In June 2015 it was reported that Apple would renovate its iconic Fifth Avenue retail store, temporarily relocating its operations to the vacated FAO Schwarz toy store in the General Motors Building. A MacRumors reader spotted a new sign in front of the iconic store that reveals the relocation will happen on January 20.

fifthavenuestore.jpg

FAO Schwarz vacated its location in the General Motors Building in July 2015 due to the rising cost of rent. The space is just a couple feet away from the iconic glass cube, making the relocation largely seamless for frequent customers of the Fifth Avenue store.

Apple-Store-Fifth-Avenue-FAO-Schwarz-800x436.jpg
Apple's Fifth Avenue store and the former FAO Schwarz space, far right (Flickr)

While the extent of the renovations at the Fifth Avenue store are unknown, the company has been expanding or relocating a number of its older stores to accommodate increased foot traffic. The Fifth Avenue location was last renovated in 2011, when larger, more seamless panes of glass were installed. The renovation was completed in November 2011.

Ahead of the closure, the store will have reduced hours of 6:00 a.m. to 11:59 p.m. on January 16-18. The location is usually open on a 24 hour, 365 day basis.

Article Link: Apple's Iconic Fifth Avenue Store Moving to Temporary Location on January 20 During Renovations

Last edited:

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
lol...> Good sign... You can use an app to translate sign into your own language if needed.

or if u have a human translator nearby, even better :D

Last edited:
Reactions: PowerBook-G5

Korican100

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2012
I wonder what the renovations will entail. Everytime i went in there, I noticed people use that place like a city park. there are just people sitting down in there just to read books, chat with friends, or take a break from walking in the city. And not to talk about all the homeless people checking their emails lol.

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013
Too many clever words on that sign when a simple arrow would've sufficed (especially considering the number of non-English-speaking tourists that must visit that iconic store)

Well it's a good thing then they will be vacationing in a city, where just about every language is spoken.

Reactions: Arran and TMRJIJ

DotCom2

macrumors 603
Feb 22, 2009
Gosh, I wonder how long the renovations will take.
I was planning on seeing the iconic building this September.
If they are moving their whole store temporarily, sounds like it will take a long time.
:(

theipodgod16

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2003
Berkeley, CA
I worked in that store from 2010-2011. Even back then, the traffic and crowding was unbelievable. Each week, the FDNY would send a fire inspector to see if there were more people than was safe, in case a fire broke out. And each week, they were far over the legal limit. Apple didn't give a ****; they paid the fine each week.

laudern

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2011
Tim has decided there are too many doors and is showing the courage to remove all of the fire doors and only have one main door. But you can attach many velvet ropes to get people to go in different directions from that one door.

Mac Fly (film)

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2006
Ireland
Ive and Angela Ahrendts are doing some stunningly amazing work with the new stores. Much nicer than the stainless and glass designs ever were considered. The marble, the stone, the colours, the circular leather seat pod planters with trees in them, the hidden technology for opening all kinds of things, the green walls, the open atmosphere, the minimalism, the lack of gaudiness, the elegant large display at the rear. I love it. I honestly think this is very important design work and believe it will influence our world physically and emotionally in the coming decades thanks to Apple upping the bar.
[doublepost=1483686391][/doublepost]
Too many clever words on that sign when a simple arrow would've sufficed (especially considering the number of non-English-speaking tourists that must visit that iconic store)
The location is described perfectly well.
[doublepost=1483686469][/doublepost]
And not to talk about all the homeless people checking their emails lol.

Let's all laugh at homeless people. MacRumors hasn't lost it.

Glassed Silver

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2007
Kassel, Germany
They better hurry! I'll be in New York in March and last time (and my only time) that I have been to NYC (2008) I couldn't actually get to the Store even though I very much tried to... Oh those were the times of young me trying to find the damn thing in a short time during a parade where crossing the street to look around on the other side took 20 or more minutes.

I'll make it this time after only having it seen from the outside.

I don't anticipate to only - if even - witness their restructured concept and not the mostly original concept.

Damn it.

Glassed Silver:mac

wozmatic

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2014
Does this store make profits?

I'm sure the rent at that location is pretty high, but having that location itself is worth it for advertising sake.

But advertising aside, does it make profits?

macribas

macrumors member
May 22, 2008
Austin, TX

Great point. Isn't this supposed to be an "iconic" store?
[doublepost=1483690498][/doublepost]
I worked in that store from 2010-2011. Even back then, the traffic and crowding was unbelievable. Each week, the FDNY would send a fire inspector to see if there were more people than was safe, in case a fire broke out. And each week, they were far over the legal limit. Apple didn't give a ****; they paid the fine each week.

And that of course made for a horrible shopping experience. I've been to many Apple Stores in my life, and this was the worst. The noise itself is unbearable.
[doublepost=1483690660][/doublepost]
Gosh, I wonder how long the renovations will take.
I was planning on seeing the iconic building this September.
If they are moving their whole store temporarily, sounds like it will take a long time.
:(

Honestly, the only iconic thing about it is the Apple logo in the glass cube. The store itself was nothing special. Hopefully the cube will be there when you visit.

Reactions: DotCom2 and Arran

chr1s60

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2007
California

Perfect example for anyone new to Macrumors as far as what to expect in the forums. People will criticize Apple over the most ridiculous things and rarely is anyone happy.

Constable Odo

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2008
I know Wall Street and the myriad Apple-haterz continue to claim Apple is going out of business quite soon but these sort of things Apple is doing isn't quite indicative of a company going out of business. A company wouldn't keep renovating old stores and adding new stores at this rate. You can tell how Sears, J.C. Penney and Macys are having a financial crisis as they sell off stores and dump employees. Where is that happening at Apple. It's true I don't really know if Apple is having a financial crisis but spending more money on expansion wouldn't make any sense if they did have a crisis. So what is it that Wall Street knows that I don't? Of course, I also don't understand why Yahoo's share price continues to rise while the company's fundamentals are quite crappy. Yahoo has an EPS of -5.1 and yet the stock has risen over 25% this past year. Apple has an EPS of about 8.3 and the stock has risen just 3% in 2016. I just don't get it. There are so many mixed signals with Apple so it's hard to tell who's telling the truth about the company. If Apple were in financial trouble they shouldn't be doing any renovations or expansion.

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
Does this store make profits?

I'm sure the rent at that location is pretty high, but having that location itself is worth it for advertising sake.

But advertising aside, does it make profits?

I was wondering this as well. I'd imagine the store makes a lot of its sales from foreigners purchasing in the U.S. to save money compared to the inflated prices in many countries.

Apple has the marketing budget to retain the store for well beyond our lifetimes. It's their flagship iconic NY store. Even if they broke even profit-wise it's an excellent deal for them for all the marketing it provides.

Reactions: Arran and macribas

chr1s60

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2007
California
I know Wall Street and the myriad Apple-haterz continue to claim Apple is going out of business quite soon but these sort of things Apple is doing isn't quite indicative of a company going out of business. A company wouldn't keep renovating old stores and adding new stores at this rate. You can tell how Sears, J.C. Penney and Macys are having a financial crisis as they sell off stores and dump employees. Where is that happening at Apple. It's true I don't really know if Apple is having a financial crisis but spending more money on expansion wouldn't make any sense if they did have a crisis. So what is it that Wall Street knows that I don't? Of course, I also don't understand why Yahoo's share price continues to rise while the company's fundamentals are quite crappy. Yahoo has an EPS of -5.1 and yet the stock has risen over 25% this past year. Apple has an EPS of about 8.3 and the stock has risen just 3% in 2016. I just don't get it. There are so many mixed signals with Apple so it's hard to tell who's telling the truth about the company. If Apple were in financial trouble they shouldn't be doing any renovations or expansion.

Apple isn't going out of business, nor are they anywhere even remotely close to what it would take for them to shut down. That is something said by the 1-5% of the tech population that come on these sites and forums because they are angry the MacBook, iMac or iPhone didn't have the feature or specs they wanted or because they prefer another brand product and want to make Apple seem like they are in trouble. On a general consumer level, Apple is doing just fine.

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
Did some digging for data:

"Apple’s Fifth Avenue emporium probably has annual sales of more than $350 million, said Jeffrey Roseman, executive vice president of real- estate broker Newmark Knight Frank Retail. The location is 10,000 square feet, putting its sales per square foot at a minimum of $35,000, based on Roseman’s estimate.

Those sales trump tony jewelry sellers along the famed street — currently earning about twice as much: Tiffany & Co. rakes in just $18,000 per square foot, Harry Winston between $12,000 – $13,000."

Abercrombie pays annual rent of $12.5 million for a 25,000 square foot shop on Fifth Avenue. Apple probably pays more per square foot for its more prime location but regardless they are turning a serious profit in a location with incredible marketing value.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Perfect example for anyone new to Macrumors as far as what to expect in the forums. People will criticize Apple over the most ridiculous things and rarely is anyone happy.

Pathetic, isn't it? I like to get into a debate and discussion as many others on here, but the volatile hate that people spread on this site is absolutely overwhelming towards Apple. I don't agree with everything how Apple regulates, conducts or handles certain situations, but I certainly don't come on here and Vehemently rip every possible negative comment against Apple. Most of those who do that, have nothing to contribute to the actual article or topic of discussion. It amazes me how technology can seriously devastate somebody's personal life where they are so bitter and angry at them selves or Apple for inconveniencing them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.