Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Evidence has made clear that Apple is investing heavily in sapphire for its future products with the company working with partner GT Advanced Technologies to start production of the material in a new Arizona plant. Earlier reports suggested the sapphire is likely for the next-generation iPhone, but G 4 Games points to new reports from Asian supply chain sources speaking to MyDrivers [Google Translate] and PCPOP [Google Translate] claiming the iWatch will be the first Apple device to be equipped with the scratch-resistant material.

sapphire_furnaces.jpg
Furnaces for sapphire glass production
According to the reports, the biggest factor in using sapphire for the iWatch and not the next iPhone is cost, with the price of sapphire driving up the retail price tag of the iPhone. A price increase could be detrimental to Apple as the iPhone already has a premium price tag.
According to Chinese media sources (which are citing "Taiwan supply chain insiders"), Apple has put a lot of effort into fitting the next iPhone with a sapphire screen. These sources claim that "beta" iPhone units (read: some of the prototypes Apple is currently testing) are already sporting sapphire protected panels, but unfortunately, chances are that they will not make it on the final product.

The problem is not necessarily due to low yield (which still is a problem, at least until Apple's [Arizona] plant will be fully operational), but mainly because fitting a sapphire screen on the next iPhone would make its price skyrocket.

Fortunately though, the same sources also say that Apple will manage to fit sapphire screens on the rumored iWatch. The smartwatch is said to feature a 2 inch panel, and evidently, the production costs would be much lower.
Though the iWatch would certainly benefit from a sapphire layer to protect its display, the volume of raw material and equipment Apple is purchasing hints at much bigger plans than a 2-inch watch display. Apple allegedly has ordered enough furnaces to manufacture approximately 200 million 5-inch sapphire displays, a volume which would meet the yearly demand for its iPhone product line. In 2013, Apple sold approximately 150 million iPhones worldwide.

Article Link: Apple's Initial Sapphire Production to Target iWatch, Not iPhone 6?

musika

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2010
New York
Makes sense. It's a smaller panel, so they can afford to do it, and it's on a product that could very easily see wear from day-to-day use.

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
of course its for the watch. ;)
probably making the screen for the iphone would be expensive ? idk.

edit :
The problem is not necessarily due to low yield (which still is a problem, at least until Apple's [Arizona] plant will be fully operational), but mainly because fitting a sapphire screen on the next iPhone would make its price skyrocket.

yup, it makes it expensive. bummer.

sulpfiction

macrumors 68040
Aug 16, 2011
Philadelphia Area
It seems totally logical to me. Putting it on the watch 1st gives them chance to work out any kinks, and get the plant fully operational. It'll be one of the "features" of the 6S.

On a side note, I can't wait to see this watch.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I keep hearing that sapphire is very scratch resistant but also brittle. If that's the case why would Apple want to use it for a phone display?

2bikes

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2012
iWatch.... iPhone... iWatch... iPhone...

Reading about this sapphire production is like watching table tennis!
(Or tiny tennis as Arnold puts it!)

Sir Ruben

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2010
UK
I have always been a watch lover but for some reason every time I get a new watch I manage to catch it on a door frame or a wall! It never seems to happen when Im wearing an old watch. SO, sapphire sounds good to me, then again I'll probably scuff the aluminium bezel or its high shine tapered edge instead ;)

ahlsn

macrumors member
Sep 1, 2013
Production costs were estimated to about $25 if i remember right. Will it really be that more expensive? How about sticking with the said focus to build great products.

johncho1234

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2014
Don't they need the sapphire for ID on the new ipads also? I would think whatever new ipads come out this year will have ID.

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
...Though the iWatch would certainly benefit from a sapphire layer to protect its display, the volume of raw material and equipment Apple is purchasing hints at much bigger plans than a 2-inch watch display. Apple allegedly has ordered enough furnaces to manufacture approximately 200 million 5-inch sapphire displays, a volume which would meet the yearly demand for its iPhone product line.

Depends upon how many iWatch they intend to sell. 150 million 4.5" displays is going to soak up about as much glass as 300 million 2.25" displays.

The iWatch should cost less than than an iPhone. So the demand can easily be higher. [ no celluar contract needed and a large installed base of watchless iPhones out there. If make watch that can work with others (e.g., iPod working with Windows) even bigger installed base of potential users. ]

Is the iWatch a gimmick accessory product or is it going to be a real product on its own (with its own substantive unit volumes to match) ? If the latter they could soak up the production with the iWatch and maybe some Cadillac higher priced iPhone. Sapphire glass on every single iPhone is extremely unlikely.

2bikes

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2012
I have always been a watch lover but for some reason every time I get a new watch I manage to catch it on a door frame or a wall! It never seems to happen when Im wearing an old watch. SO, sapphire sounds good to me, then again I'll probably scuff the aluminium bezel or its high shine tapered edge instead ;)

It has an aluminium bezel and a tapered edge? Tell us more :p

commander.data

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2006
They could probably add it to the iPhone incrementally. First it was the camera lens, then Touch ID, and perhaps the next iPhone, if Apple keeps to their pattern of using some glass at the back, will have sapphire replace the glass panels at the back, and the display/front panel which is the most expensive/difficult to produce in volume will be last. The glass panels in the back may be more prone to scratching anyways given their position although of course they're less important aesthetically.

sixrom

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2013
The cost factor gives Apple a good excuse to keep the tiny screen size the same for iPhone. Thrilling the throngs of followers obsessed with keeping it the same. Not to mention the distinction of being the tiniest phone on the market. The strength will insure that bending is a thing of the past, even if stuffed into skinny jeans and sat on. A win/win for that demographic.

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
I keep hearing that sapphire is very scratch resistant but also brittle. If that's the case why would Apple want to use it for a phone display?

Because it is higher at scratch resistance?

The current Gorilla screen is also brittle, they both will likely to break when dropped.

bsolar

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2011
SO, sapphire sounds good to me, then again I'll probably scuff the aluminium bezel or its high shine tapered edge instead ;)
If they really want to go with the best materials they should not use aluminium. The best choice for a high-end watch is titanium: incredibly resistant, very light and hypoallergenic.

DipDog3

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2002
If I was making stuff up about Apple's plans, I would have said the same thing.

These insiders know nothing!

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place

GT Advance makes several formulas of their sapphire glass. My best guess? Sapphire/Silicon laminate to get the best of both worlds. This makes the most sense to me as GT Advance acquired the assets of Twin Creek; specifically their ion cannon technology (Hyperion).

On topic: Did anyone actually think Apple would debut the larger scale production of sapphire glass on their flagship? As others have stated. A watch allows Apple to work out any unforeseen issues without disruption of their main business.

Elbon

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2008
Boston, MA
I assumed it was for this. A watch face is a much smaller surface, so production costs shouldn't be as high as they would be for a sapphire-based phone. Also, watches arguably need to be more scratch-resistant than a phone, which is typically carried around in a purse or pocket.

Jsameds

Suspended
Apr 22, 2008
iPhone 6 - Form factor change
iPhone 6S - Same form as 6 but tougher

iPhone 7 - Form factor change, same toughness as 6S
iPhone 7S - Same form as 7 but ???? (My money is on waterproof)

Along with all the usual spec bumps and extra hardware features etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.