Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SpectatorHere

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2010
Multiple sizes, weird colors, camera protrudes, and this. For any of you that still have stock in this company, think on this.

Danoc

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2011
is there going to be a plus version of this case?

I doubt it. The plus is already a big device. A battery case would make it thick, heavy. On the 6, 6S or 7, it's still acceptable.

Multiple sizes, weird colors, camera protrudes, and this. For any of you that still have stock in this company, think on this.

Sales, stocks and reviews have proven the opposite.

Apple's design is still an industry leader.

Reactions: CarlJ

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
The 6s case does have a headphone socket. It's also done from the lightning socket rather than plugging into the headphone jack on the phone so there's no reason they couldn't have left it in the new case, apart from they really hate the headphone jack now ;)
Well, the new one does have 26% more battery life. However I think most of that is in the hump and not the bottom, but hmmm…

CarlJ

macrumors 604
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
So if ur phone is at 100 and you have the phone in the case, it will charge the phone whether you want it to or not

Dumb of Apple to not have an on/off switch

Not buying it cus of that reason
You seriously think the engineers at Apple, who designed and built the iPhone, don't know the best pattern by which to charge their own phone battery that they had custom built to their specifications... but you do?

"Also, I can't find the clutch pedal on this automatic transmission car - dumb of the manufacturer not to include such an obviously needed thing, because I know that the gears will grind constantly without me making constant use of the clutch pedal while driving."

Krizoitz

macrumors 68000
Apr 26, 2003
Tokyo, Japan
Can you use the 6s Smart battery on the iPhone 7 or do you need to buy a new one?

EDIT: I'll answer my own question of course you CAN'T the camera opening is different on the 7 cases vs the 6 cases.

Apple, the master at forced obsolescence!

What about your case is obsolete? It still works perfectly well for the device for which you bought it.

Reactions: Wondercow

BWhaler

macrumors 68040
Jan 8, 2003
I have the older version and I absolutely love it.

Yes, it looks bad in pictures. but design is how something works.

Similar to camera bump, which sucks but makes for amazing pictures, this battery hump fits great in your hand, giving you new contours to grip your phone comfortable. The material feels great.

Plus, the simultaneous dual-charging and the use of lightning cable instead of having to bring a USB cable just for the battery pack make it a great buy. I like the fact that Apple did not add unnecessary shape just avoid it looking like a bump. That makes the whole area larger.

This upgrade solves the biggest problem—underwhelming reserve power. I think this is a great upgrade to an already great accessory.

Reactions: Mindbomb2000

dwaltwhit

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Tennessee
I have one for my 6 and I love it. I don't mind the hump at all. The battery has to go somewhere and I rather have it on the back than on the ends.

Mindbomb2000

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2015
Los Angeles
All function over form. Or rather form is function, function is form. No wonder Apple is overrated. This thing is too ugly to use. My brother uses a battery pack and it's really tough to get on and off and he actually cracked his phone display trying to get it off once but it looks really nice and cutting edge. Unlike this piece of crApple. It's easy to get on and off but yuck.

As it should be. Form should always follow function. You just proved it in your post.... sorry about your brothers cracked phone, I bet it looked nice before it cracked because the battery pack put form before function.
[doublepost=1473992396][/doublepost]Form should ALWAYS follow function. Always. I'm not saying Apple always gets it right, but please remember this before you post. Thanks.

Eric5273

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2009
New Jersey
I went by the Apple Store this evening to look at the battery case. I'm going to wait in line in the morning to buy the iPhone 7, and I wanted to decide which case I want before that. So I compared the regular silicon case to the battery case, and I actually prefer the battery case. Of course, I was only able to compare the cases for the 6/6S, but I believe the iPhone 7 versions are the same size.

The battery case doesn't look bad at all, and it solves the problem of the phone being uncomfortable to hold since it's so thin. It fits in my pocket fine, it has the speaker holes which redirect the sound, and it has a regular lightning port which is flush with the edge of the case, and not recessed the way the lightning port would be with most regular cases on the phone. Also, unlike the regular Apple silicon case, the battery case has a nice lip around the edge of the screen so you can place the phone face down and the screen will be recessed.

Functionally, the only negative I could see on the case I examined (the iPhone 6 version) was that the headphone jack would have been very recessed and probably would not fit the plug for many aftermarket headphones. However, since the iPhone 7 has no headphone jack, this is not an issue on the new iPhone 7 battery case. The iPhone 7 battery case appears to replace the headphone hole with another speaker hole, same as on the other side.

I've decided I'm going to get one tomorrow with my iPhone 7.

Reactions: Mindbomb2000

jacobj

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2003
Jersey
Lots of complainers here. Why don't people focus on potential solutions instead of the problem? One must wonder. Let's see mockups and textual descriptions of how the case *should* look without have any adverse affects on the operation and handling of the iPhone itself.

Apple just released a brand new iPhone with a custom-built application processor. True to their name, they did not just use off-the-shelf components to assemble their famed phone, like may Android assemblers do. iPhones also run its own iOS operating system. No Android, Windows or Blackberry device does. Apple is special in those regards. They have not lost their way. Consumer exceptions have just raised dramatically in the past few years. The bar has been raised, but there's a maximum threshold, and it's unrealistic to expect Apple to keep raising the bar to infinite.

I was being lighthearted. I don't expect Apple to keep raising the bar every time. I do expect them to have a higher success rate than they do at present. I love my 9.7" iPad Pro, but the apple keyboard for it is awful.

This case is awful. Let's tell apple when they've got it wrong. Let's not run around telling them it's all great.

It's a bit like superstar children: many of them become surrounded by people telling them that they're amazing and perfect and right. They start to believe in their infallibility and get angry when others tell them otherwise. They start acting up and the world begins to fall away from them; the entourage moves on and they are left wondering what the hell went wrong. Apple are starting to believe that they are infallible because they used to be pretty damned incredible (never infallible). Let's do them a favour and not point to their successes in defence of their failures.

dampfnudel

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
With increased battery life on the iPhone 7, hope no one has to use that ugly device.

And I hope with next year's iPhone 8, battery life stays at least the same if not longer than the iPhone 7. Jony's quest for thinness better not make this ugly case relevant again next year. Not that I would get it, but for it to exist at all speaks volumes.

macs4nw

macrumors 601
Why...why does it have to be so ugly?!
Personally I have no need for the added battery capacity, but a friend has one of these cases and after playing with it a bit, I found the bulge not as objectionable as I first had expected. To play the devil's advocate, if it was uniformly thick across the entire back, the phone would probably look hideously fat, and additionally this centre hump actually makes it easier to pick up the phone from your desk when it's face-up.

danielwsmithee

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2005
Another odd-ball thing, and maybe I'm the only one, but I've seen the phone battery drain even when the case isn't fully depleted. Usually when I'm using the phone excessively.
It disconnects the battery pack automatically depending on the state of charge if the internal battery pack for optimal efficiency. I haven't figured out the numbers for sure but I think it connects when the internal battery drops below 20% state of charge and disconnects above 80%. Because of this charging over night will some time cause the external pack to charge but not that internal of the internal isn't sufficiently depleted.

nasa25

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2010
canada
Love it. Love the weight of it. Love the added grip. Love the comfort. Love.

full disclosure - been rocking my iPhone naked since like 2010 so I'm not opposed to nudity.

kawa636r

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2016
Spain
i have both versions, for iphone 7 and for iphone 6s, but even with a greater capacity, the 7 version isn't unable to fully charge my 5% battery to full.

the old one for 6s was the same, reaching 80% or something like this.

i also can see that 2000mah of the iphone 7 battery lasts more than 2300 mah of the case... anyone experiencing the same?

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Am I the only one who sees the genius behind the design of the battery case?

It remains thin and sleek, so no problems keeping it in your pocket compared to other thicker battery cases out there.

The flexible material means it's easy to put on and take off without potentially scratching or damaging your phone.

It automatically charges your phone without you needing to do anything on your part. How is this a negative compared to other battery cases where you have to consciously manage the process?

The Lightning port means I can keep both devices charged with the same cable.

Classic Apple simplicity at work here. Just attach the battery case and let it do its job in the background. What's not to like?

ptklenk

macrumors member
May 31, 2010
Conway, NH
And it still looks ridiculous.

Not concerned with a ridiculous look because I have one for the iPhone 6S and its function is flawless. I've owned MANY charging cases and many of them are useless because of the necessity to charge with a "mini." That receptacle easily breaks.

People have talked about a dual camera lens. I DO NOT see that in any of the pictures of the iPhone 7.

And, as was said by another user, if you have no intention of buying one or using one, then why do you care how it looks? Sorry, that is a truly rhetorical question.

ptklenk

macrumors member
May 31, 2010
Conway, NH
Can you use the 6s Smart battery on the iPhone 7 or do you need to buy a new one?

EDIT: I'll answer my own question of course you CAN'T the camera opening is different on the 7 cases vs the 6 cases.

Apple, the master at forced obsolescence!

Perhaps, but you might be able to carefully trim the area. I'll respond tomorrow after I have the iPhone.

xotigu

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2014
only have the case for one week and the silicone case starts to peel, is anyone here experiencing the same?
i'm also being careful with the case but just noticed it this morning.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.