Apple's iPhone Activation Servers Again Experiencing Outage

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 8, 2013.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple appears to be experiencing another problem with its systems today, as a number of MacRumors readers have reported they are unable to activate their new iPhones. Other reports are showing up on Twitter as the problems continue.

[​IMG]
    An AT&T employee has told MacRumors that some Apple Retail Stores are sending customers to AT&T stores, but indicated that those locations are having similar activation issues.

There is no word yet on when users can expect the issue to be fully resolved, but a similar outage occurred two weeks ago.

Article Link: Apple's iPhone Activation Servers Again Experiencing Outage

2. macrumors newbie

It's back

Just now I had to restore my iPhone 5. There was a problem, but when i restored it again i was able to activate my phone.

3. macrumors 68000

keysofanxiety

Sometimes I wonder if Apple's servers are powered by a gerbil running on a wheel.

What Apple need to do is get a bigger, more powerful gerbil.

4. macrumors 65816

kirky29

What about iTunes Match? Mine is giving me nonstop errors saying it can't connect. Typical too, cause I want some songs synced over for work and I'm leaving in about 15 mins!

5. macrumors 603

Rocketman

Apple is subject to considerable DoS attacks because a successful Apple is bad for controlling governments. Know any?

"Too big for their britches."

6. macrumors regular

This is not directed to you sir .. But why is it a trend that EVERYONE thinks they know what apple needs ??

7. macrumors regular

So I was experiencing this problem last week, and I was on the phone with Apple for an hour, and att for an hour. Apple said it was a circuit in my phone that would not send out the activation signal. SO, I sold my phone cause I needed some money for a new helmet. I tried again monday night and it still didn't work. HMMM maybe it would have worked. Oh well I needed the cash.

8. macrumors 68000

keysofanxiety

Well I can't answer that, but I can guarantee Apple need a bigger gerbil.

9. macrumors 68040

Dr McKay

Thats the most infuriating message ever, getting a shiny new iPhone and not being able to play with it, so you idly caress it and whispher sweet nothings to it instead, and tell it in great detail about all the things you're going to do to it once you get it activated.

I'm going to install apps on you... over and over again.... :cool:

10. macrumors 6502a

Apple is a perfect case study of how not to run your servers for any aspiring enterprise administrator.

11. macrumors 6502a

…creepy :eek:

Apple's been having many outages recently with many of their services, They really should invest in more stable web infrastructure.

12. macrumors 6502a

this is why I hate the cloud

Back in the day ... we didn't have to 'activate' our phones. They just worked.

The ridiculous and annoying 7 layers of crap I have to go through, even when the Apple servers are working great, pisses me off.

Why does Apple have to 'activate' my damn phone anyway!?!?!? My service is with AT&T.

13. daneoni, Aug 8, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2013

macrumors G4

daneoni

Ugh...that grey linen. So glad they've binned it.

14. macrumors member

I doubt anyone here even knows how Apples servers are architected nor the types of problems they face. As noted previously, most of the companies with a large internet presence are constantly under attack - it's a daily evolution for them.

15. macrumors member

I just had the same problem after restoring my iPhone 5 due to battery problems. Putting it into recovery mode and then another restore seemed to fix it.

16. macrumors 6502a

Thank christ, I thought my WiFi was ****ing around again, it worked so I think it's fine now, funny how it happened at the exact moment I actually needed to restore and activate my phone

17. macrumors 6502a

I think he was referring to pre-iPhone cellphones.

18. macrumors 68000

iGrip

Apple may have been hacked yet again. Their network needs work.

19. macrumors 68020

12vElectronics

This is a sign that you shouldn't be buying a new iPhone right now :D

20. macrumors 68030

needfx

I 'm sensing some satisfaction points being shaved off temporarily

21. macrumors G4

daneoni

Touche

Although with CDMA phones you still needed to.

22. macrumors regular

I think their server engineers running around from one place to other. Since they have to fix the Developer service and now this

23. macrumors 601

brand

Do you even have a clue about what it takes on the backend infrastructure/data center side to keep the day to day operations running? :rolleyes:

24. macrumors 6502

First, this is a rumor site, you it is natural for people to draw certain conclusions what Apple might be needing help with. There is nothing wrong with it.

Second, people here know what they need from Apple. One thing would be to expect Apple to have a backup solution for activations, so this doesn't happen this often.

25. macrumors regular

About as much as Apple it would seem.