Apple's iPhone On Its Way To Becoming The Microsoft Windows...

Discussion in ' News Discussion' started by MacBytes, Dec 7, 2009.

1. macrumors bot

Jul 5, 2003
  2. macrumors 6502

Jun 2, 2009
    The title is a little confusing, considering that there is a product called Windows Mobile.
  3. macrumors 68020

Aug 28, 2009
    It's still got a long way to overhaul symbian (unfortunately)
  4. macrumors 68000

Jun 22, 2003
    I presume apart from that whole not sucking horribly bit. I think they are just referring to the ubiquity of the iPhone OS on smart phones. I don't know, it's not really that ubiquitous just yet.
  5. macrumors 68000

Feb 5, 2008
    I guess the article would have a point if:

1) The main applications people use - Facebook, Google Maps, etc - weren't already available on all smartphone platforms.
    2) Apple totally go against their policy of locking down their hardware.

In other words: No. Not now. Not ever.
  6. macrumors 65816

Nov 19, 2008
    I wonder why Symbian is always quoted as the biggest smartphone OS. It just happens to be on most of Nokia's mid-to-high-end cellphones. And these phones happen to sell relatively well in Europe. However, no one with a sane mind considers something like an N73 a smart phone, because it's a pretty dumb piece of hardware compared to Pre, iPhone, Droid etc. Still the statistics count it as a smartphone.
  7. macrumors 603

Jun 19, 2009
    since mine requires almost constant reboots and periodical restores, it's just like Windows
  8. macrumors member

Jun 5, 2000
    Considering I was doing all of the things one does on a modern smartphone, minus the touch interface, on S60 for the last seven years, I would say, yes, it's a smartphone. Wanker.
  9. macrumors 68000

Feb 5, 2008
    Actually, since it was pretty much cutting edge when released everyone does.