Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Born Again

Suspended
May 12, 2011
Norcal
Teased? I don't even know you. Teasing is something friends do to each other. Your comments were just defensive and nothing more that an childish attack because you had no intellectual response. But since you care so much about me, I run 30 miles a week, but I'm self confident that I don't need to mock people that might want to walk to build my ego. Anything that gets people moving is great to me. I do love activity monitors, yes. But they are just tools, which was my original point to your original post. Every tool has a distinct use.

I agree but people must know their limitations

What's your run pace?

I was 25#s overweight and it started on diet - - paleo - then on cardio - running

I've come a long way myself where I no longer need to monitor much at all.

I have a 1/2 marathon here and hoping to finish under 1:35 - wish me luck (last 1/2 was a 1:38:57). My breathing techniques have much improved thanks to yoga.

So it's diet, crossfit, yoga, and running.

No Fitbit, no heart rate monitor, etc.

It's understanding your body's needs my friend.

I'll let you know how I do.

christian_k

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2005
Germany
Such a product from Apple?

Hello,

I think if Apple makes health/fitness products, this has some irony in it.

For many years they promoted a world where everything should be "convenient".
Getting up from the couch to get the DVD from the room upstairs is annoying, so you need a media server in your house up and running 24/7. Getting up from the couch to get to a video rental shop is annoying, so sit down and download. Getting up from the couch to get to your mac to do that is not convenient. Stay on the couch and use your iPad for that etc. etc etc.

Now exactly these guys want you to exercise? Too bad, walking, running, road cycling, swimming, or soccer are not convenient. Whats next? Will Apple find a way to do the actual exercising for you, too?

Christian

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
1hr 33 minutes and 33 seconds was my finish time for my 1/2 marathon

Take that to your precious Fitbit

Congrats, but what does a race time (or length) have to do with a Fitbit? A Fitbit (activity monitor, running watch, etc) gathers data about certain activities. I've never seen one advertised as giving one the ability to win the Boston Marathon anymore than I've seen a Bosch drill box suggesting one could build a house w/o any construction knowledge. They are tools just like a pair of running shoes. Why is that so difficult for you to understand? It may not be a tool useful to you anymore than a debugger is to me, but it serves a purpose just the same.

Enjoy your victory & tshirt.

Born Again

Suspended
May 12, 2011
Norcal
Congrats, but what does a race time (or length) have to do with a Fitbit? A Fitbit (activity monitor, running watch, etc) gathers data about certain activities. I've never seen one advertised as giving one the ability to win the Boston Marathon anymore than I've seen a Bosch drill box suggesting one could build a house w/o any construction knowledge. They are tools just like a pair of running shoes. Why is that so difficult for you to understand? It may not be a tool useful to you anymore than a debugger is to me, but it serves a purpose just the same.

Enjoy your victory & tshirt.

i think we are agreeing on the same idea.

it's up to the individual to make the choice decision to be healthy.

fitbit is just a tool albeit a not very good one but a tool.

thanks - i was in it for the beer at the end :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.