Apple's iTunes Music Store and Pepsi?

Discussion in 'MacRumors News Discussion (archive)' started by MacRumors, Oct 16, 2003.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

The LA Times reports that Apple Computer may be teaming up with Pepsi to promote the iTunes Music Store.

According to the LA Times, Apple and Pepsi are expected to announce a promotion deal that would give Pepsi purchasers free songs from the iTunes Music Store based on finding codes in Pepsi packaging.

If true, more details will presumably be revealed at the press conference scheduled later today.

2. macrumors member

I'll drink to that!!

3. macrumors 6502

Very cool. I don't follow ad campaigns much but Pepsi seems to be big into Music:

Pepsi's Music Page

4. macrumors member

Sounds kinda sleazy. I would loose a bit of respect for apple teaming up with someone like Pepsi. Keep it real Apple!

5. macrumors 65816

neonart

And now Pepsi has been refomulated so you can spill it all over Apple products and nothing happens*. Therefore Pepsi is the choice drink for Powerbook users everywhere!

*Claims based on already fried hardware, results may vary.

6. macrumors 6502

Ew

Pepsi sucks.

Microsoft is to Apple, as Pepsi is to Coke.

Just nasty. Why would they team up with a company that imitated the original?

7. macrumors 6502

As in Coke?

8. macrumors 65816

neonart

I see your point, but remember kids love music and iPods, and Pepsi has that "youth market" well thought out.

It's like shooting fish in a barrel.

9. macrumors regular

and the hits just keep on coming...
    all of these rumors coming in for the music store is crazy!
    It seems that this is building up to eclipse the G5 announcement.

10. macrumors 68040

mac15

its a pity, I'm a fan of Coke myself. But Pepsi is one big player. Well done apple!

11. macrumors 6502a

For what it's worth... Coke is the 'drink of choice' at the redmond campus of MS - Their break rooms are always stocked with the stuff.

Well it was in the mid 90's when I visited them anyway...

Soon after I learned this I 'switched' to Pepsi. :D

D

12. macrumors regular

if apple wants to get a bigger slice of market share, they're going to have to do stuff like this to get it. granted, it's a bit like watching your favorite indie band sign to a major label, but hopefully their next album won't suck superbad because of this.

13. macrumors 604

scem0

exactly.

this is a really good idea......

It would open up iTMS to ignorant teenage PC users who want free **** from pepsi..... all 30 million of them... ;).

I think this is a GREAT way for apple to promote iTMS.
    Because the advantages far outweigh the disadvantages.

scem0

14. macrumors member

No, as in stay real to the products they sell. WTF does Pepsi have to do with Apple? Pepsi Co. sucks dude. Maybe all you sugar mongers just can't see through it.

15. macrumors 6502

I'm not a big Pepsi fan, but I like the idea of a cross promotion because it has the great potential of reaching out to people who may not otherwise try your product - and everybody drinks soda (practically). Most people nowadays are not loyal to Coke or Pepsi, they drink whatever is the least expensive or whatever they feel like.

I can see Pepsi having free CD-ROMs @ their displays with the new iTunes for Windows (and the Mac version too, maybe). I can see CDs with iTunes stuffed inside of 12 pack boxes. Displays in supermarkets and quicky marts tauting iTunes and the iTMS. Commercials on MTV, NBC, ABC, and FOX during the World Series.

Apple is aiming to dominate the digital music market. I think dominance there will also lead to more sales of Mac hardware. I'm personally of the opinion that Apple will be back over 5% by this time next year as PC manufacturers crumble and Intel and MS are faced with more delays.

16. macrumors regular

double post forgive me..this forum is more appropriate

pjtro ya beat me too it! but your soooooo right!

edit: wjdennen!!! crazy, i was joking about the pepsi thing and you posted legitimate info while i was typing this!!! insane!!! well maybe this could be a reality when pepsi promotes something they crush the competition...i wonder if we will see brittany spears or bobdole with an ipod now...back to my original just woke up silly post...

"just one look" starts playing (like in that pepsi commercial with cindy crawford in daisy dukes)

picture the "cool" guy/girl walking into class with a pair of mysterious white headphones on. Sits down at his/her desk. Said member of the opposite sex eyes the white player, makes goo goo eyes. The guy/girl thinks its them and not the ipod. They unsheath the accesory and record the entire lecture. Everyone in class is salivating. Professor even has to stop talking for a second so distracted at the cool gadget. Thinking of ways to divert 400 dollars from his checking without to much wife hassle. The "i missed the lecture wanna study together" channel is opened up. The guy/girl wins! The smitten party gets to hang out with an ipod, and they win too!

P.S.
    Listen to
    Mr. MacPhisto
    He is dead on!!

Last edited by balconycollapse on 10-16-2003 at 07:47 AM

17. macrumors 6502a

Apple should have partnered with Budweiser's "True Music" promotion.

18. macrumors 603

SiliconAddict

In the words of Mr. Burns. Excellllllent.

:rolleyes: Who gives a crap who they team up with as along as it gives iTMS and the iPod more exposure. You guys scare me. Ooooo Pepsi sucks they should be doing it with Coke! :rolleyes:

What next? They are doing something with Mc Donald’s and you guys spit on it because it isn't with BK?

Personally I think this is cool and most likely something the other "players" aren't even thinking about at this point.

Personally I hate Pepsi but love Wild Cherry Pepsi. Yummy.

19. macrumors member

hey i take offense to that, i woud have gone with coke, pepsi is another one of those companies that promotes evreything through a rap song of some sort. well, i guess it makes sence now that i think about it

20. macrumors 65816

neonart

They'll get lots of customers from my state - good ol' GA. (and AL)

21. macrumors member

Apple.....and Pepsi??? I can't help but have nightmares about John Sculley joining Apple.

22. macrumors 65816

jholzner

Re: Ew

You beat me to it! Coke all the way!

23. macrumors 68000

crees!

Sugar? Geez, what happened to the day when Coca-Cola actually had Cocaine in their drinks. There's a history lesson for you. Could explain M$ behavior. Maybe Coke had some leftover batches of it and sold it all to M$. :D

24. macrumors 6502

Apple is getting paid by Pepsi for the songs. Pepsi is creating an advertising campaign based around the iPod that Pepsi is paying for.

How can this not be good for Apple?

Apple has taken over the mp3 player market. They have the best Tunes store out there. The others are just trying to get in the game.

With this move, Apple is creating new rules for the game. And I would have to believe that this is only the beginning.

25. macrumors 65816

1macker1

I dont support Pepsi, so i wont be a part of this program. And I know many others that dont support Pepsi......oh well.