Apple's iTunes Radio Streaming Music Service Launches in Australia

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 10, 2014.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple has launched its iTunes Radio streaming music product in Australia, the first non-U.S. country to get the service after it was launched alongside iOS 7 in September. It was reported in October that Apple was looking to launch iTunes Radio in the U.K., Canada, Australia, and New Zealand in early 2014.

[​IMG]
    Apple's Eddy Cue has said that launching iTunes Radio worldwide is a top priority for the company, with Apple ultimately aiming to have the service "in more than 100 countries."

iTunes Radio is ad-supported but iTunes Match subscribers (AU$34.99/year) get to use the service ad-free. The service is available on all iOS 7 products in the Music app.

Article Link: Apple's iTunes Radio Streaming Music Service Launches in Australia

2. macrumors regular

Ugh, come on Canada!

3. Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Lets hope the U.K., Canada and New Zealand follow shortly!

4. Guest

Sky Blue

It's just Kylie Minogue, Men at Work, ACDC and Natalie imbruglia on repeat.

5. macrumors 6502

Com'on CRTC get with the approvals, step in the 21st century!

(actually I have no idea why the delays in Canada, but I'm assuming it's them)

6. macrumors 6502a

And Craig McLachlan...

7. macrumors member

Clicking "Add to Wish List" doesn't actually add a song to the Wish List, right? I can't tell if mine is just broken or the button was never implemented because literally nothing happens or gets added.

8. macrumors 68000

JarScott

So, the UK tomorrow right?

Right?

9. Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

For us members who haven't used it, will this make me dump my premium Spotify account at £9.99 a month, instead for an annual iTunes match subscription?

10. macrumors newbie

Can't wait to have it in Belgium...

11. macrumors G5

Rogifan

Not if you want to listen to whatever song you want on demand. iTunes radio is like Pandora, not Spotify. I use it now and then for discovery but I would never replace Spotify with it.

12. Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Thanks. That makes a lot of sense. That is one of the reasons I like Spotify as I can listen to whatever I fancy.

13. macrumors newbie

I shouldn't have laughed so much at that as I did!
    Surely the UK released can't be fair behind in all seriousness tho....

14. macrumors regular

unfortunately it's DoA

Spotify and YouTube already won the streaming war

too little too late guys…

15. macrumors 6502a

Not exactly. I've got a subscription to Deezer, which is basically like Spotify but with a different name, and the feature I use most is "Hear This", which basically recommends playlists of genre's based on what you listen to, kind of like Genius.

I've got so much music that it's easier to hit shuffle and see what plays.

Here's to hoping the UK launch is coming this week!

16. macrumors 6502

Is anyone actually using iTunes Radio?

Not trolling - I'm genuinely curious. I don't use it myself, but I don't listen to the radio much in general (I don't use Pandora or Spotify, either).

17. macrumors regular

The CRTC is most definitely holding this up for Canada. I mean, who else is going to make sure we meet our Bieber and Bryan Adams quotas? Seriously though, they demand that a certain percentage of content played on the radio is Canadian, I imagine they are trying to make Apple play by those rules too, which would probably be challenging at best.

18. macrumors regular

I believe some rumor a month or two back said it is supposed to come to Scandinavia in "early 2014". I believe this kind of service would be great for me, I don't listen to all that much music but mostly on the radio if I do.

19. macrumors 65816

Why does Canada keep getting screwed over by these Corporations? A bunch of these other countries like USA, and Australia have Spotify, USA has Pandora also, and a bunch of other music streaming services. Canada only has Rdio and Xbox music...

20. macrumors member

I can't seem to get it to work? I've gone into the iTunes Store app where it prompted me with an alert saying that it is available and if I would like to listen in the music app, (which I would like to) but it's not updating with the icon!! Grrr pls apple y u do dis! Haha #impatient

21. macrumors member

plus one for a UK launch in the next few weeks though, it's just a shame the time it takes to please all the various wings of the record labels in different countries.

But I guess that's nothing compared to the insane challenge Eddie Cue has of trying to wrangle the US/UK Cable/Sat companies into line for an improved Apple TV Service!

22. macrumors 6502a

AcesHigh87

Hopefully it comes to Canada soon. I completely forgot it would be ad free because of my match subscription but that kinda makes me want to try it out more.

23. macrumors regular

Onya iTunes! Not showing on AppleTV just yet.
    The stations are impressive and extensive.

24. macrumors 6502

Sym0

What no John Farnham?

25. macrumors 6502

jmh600cbr

as a canadian i am truly shocked.