Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fertilized-egg

macrumors 68020
Dec 18, 2009
It's still not the same thing. Even with the gadgetry that even lower end cars have nowadays, people still have an interest in high end ones of various sorts that lack that gadgetry.

Lower end cars with gadgetry are still just vehicles, serving no different purposes from higher end cars. Also many higher end cars can still be equipped with much gadgetry if needed. That's not the case with watches.

As a parallel you have watches that might lack gadgetry, but are solid in territories where you can't use such a gadget, like deep in the sea (Rolex Deepsea) or out in space (Omega Speedmaster Professional).

Of course, which is why we still have featurephones in use and those special purpose watches will remain. However that does not mean the watchmakers will face decline if smart watches become the norm. Just like how most SUVs aren't used for "sports", I suspect much of the sales of such watches are made to people who buy them for other reasons.

And that's leaving aside the myriad who buy such things to show off and won't replace them with something cheaper.

I doubt there will be too many of them, assuming, again, Apple and others will find a way to make smartwatches really useful. Nobody like showing off diamond encrusted featurephones because people actually like using smartphones and using a smartphone has become a habit for so many.

Number 41

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2009
It's going to (presumably) have the same kind of gyroscope and accelerometer as the iPhone.

Why can't this iWatch also be used as some kind of next-gen interface device as well -- kinda like what Microsoft envisioned with the Kinect interface for TV?

Move your wrist to control your AppleTV or Mac?

When I heard that Nike disbanded the FuelBand team a while back and knowing the Tim Cook is on the Nike board, I assumed that a closer relationship might be in the works.

This got me thinking in more detail about how the device might function, which led me to create a concept based on what I’d like to see in the device.

This concept is influenced by the sleek design of the Nike+ FuelBand. This type of band could provide space for the battery within the band itself. A magnetic clasp with a positive locking mechanism so that it snaps into place like a Magsafe adapter would be a classic Apple touch. Maybe different size clasps to allow for a range of wrist sizes? A glossy outer shell with a soft rubberized inner band looks great in renders, but I’m not sure how it would hold up to daily abuse.

I think this is almost certainly one of the better/closer mockups, just with most likely a slightly smaller display. It would be amazing if the entire band, display included, were flexible. The only thing that makes my doubt this "type" of look is Ive's confidence from the jewelry-type aspect. The bands are nice, but not a beautifully designed thing that will make the swiss watchmakers go crazy.

iBook_Clamshell

macrumors member
Aug 27, 2013
Wisconsin
Do you think the iWatch will have cellular connectivity?

I'm hoping it will. I think that the iWatch should have the capabilities of an iPhone. But, as others said, it might be too small to really work, and they want to sell more iPhones. If someone wants an iWatch but doesn't have an iPhone, in order to use all the features of the iWatch, they have to buy an iPhone too. Which means more $$$ for Apple.
I think if the iWatch isn't a stand-alone device that will operate like a "computer", it will be a disgrace to the apple "i" series. All other "i" devices have been computers (yes, an iPhone is a "mobile" computer); why shouldn't the iWatch be one?

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
As I repeated several times it's all assuming, if (and only if) Apple and others find that compelling reason to make people want to use the smartwatch all the time. Those with 10k watches will absolutely use a smartwatch instead of the expensive watch, if that killer feature is present. That's the kind of thing Apple needs to achieve with their wearable device.

That's a bad comparison because Civic and Rolls Royce perform the exactly same tasks as vehicles. A truly successful smartwatch will be more than just a watch. These days even a billionaire likely prefers to use a cheap smartphone instead of a diamond encrusted featurephone. That's what Apple will need to do with the smartwatch if it's to become successful.

I doubt it.

zipa

macrumors 65816
Feb 19, 2010
Aow that gif is hilarious!

So..

A flexible display, I'll believe it when I see it, seriously, does ANYTHING on the market today use a flexible display?

Yes, there are curved phones, TVs and whatnots out on the market.

CloaknDagger

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2014
I'm hoping it will. I think that the iWatch should have the capabilities of an iPhone. But, as others said, it might be too small to really work, and they want to sell more iPhones. If someone wants an iWatch but doesn't have an iPhone, in order to use all the features of the iWatch, they have to buy an iPhone too. Which means more $$$ for Apple.
I think if the iWatch isn't a stand-alone device that will operate like a "computer", it will be a disgrace to the apple "i" series. All other "i" devices have been computers (yes, an iPhone is a "mobile" computer); why shouldn't the iWatch be one?

If Samsung can do it with the Gear S, I have confidence Apple can embed cellular/3g into an 'iWatch'. Whereas Samsung's is quite bulky, I could see Apple intelligently 'dispersing' the cellular circuitry throughout the wristband itself, as to not try to place everything directly behind the screen. this would be an iPhone-nano

Mildredop

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2013
Same thing was said about the iPod AFTER it's unveiling... You want some good comedy reading? Go find the original iPod announcement thread here on MR. There is some good funny stuff in there....

Edit: here you go. You're welcome :) https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/apples-new-thing-ipod.500/

Good find. This post was most telling:

"I have no use for an Mp3 player.

My house has a CD player.
My car has a CD player.
My Mac has a CD player

I don't use headphones.

The iPod requires me to change my lifestyle to meet it's needs...

I need round holes, not square holes.

For $99 I might buy the toy, for $399? Why?

Doesn't a Mac with a CDR undermine the need for most of this? All that's left is the number of songs you can play and the ability to listen to all of them with headphones anywhere. Do I really need ALL my songs ALL the time?

uhm, no.

Won't last."

This argument is being replicated all over these forums at the moment.

ScholarsInk

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2010
I wonder if those rumors from a long while back about a hybrid e-ink and color display might play into a proposed watch.

Lower end cars with gadgetry are still just vehicles, serving no different purposes from higher end cars. Also many higher end cars can still be equipped with much gadgetry if needed. That's not the case with watches.

Except with both watches and cars there is machinery under the hood that people go crazy for. The engine difference is there irrespective of however many gadgets either car has. Whether or not people use those engines, SUV features, whatever to their full potential they certainly do buy them.

heimo

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2010
So that means if I want to keep my watch on and charge it, I'll have to hold or leave my arm over a charging pad. Probably during the night when I usually charge up my iDevices.

Let's hope it will be removable instead of permanently fixed to ones wrist.

----------

Yes, there are curved phones, TVs and whatnots out on the market.

I believe there's a significant difference between curved and flexible.

t0mat0

macrumors 603
Aug 29, 2006
Home
I bet the iPhone 6s will get wireless charging. It's like Touch ID. Only the 5s gets it the first year, and in the second year the other devices get it. Can you imagine wireless charging on an iPad?

Yes. Maybe as an option perhaps.
Check out Rezence charging - which was an option on the BCM4354 (successor to the BCM4334 the iPhone 5s has till the BCM4358 showed up). A4WP only one group mind, but resonant charging gives you a little leeway in distance from product to charger.

1Zach1

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2008
Northern Va

Keirasplace

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2014
Montreal

Cellular, GPS or WIFI connectivity will kill the battery quick; depends on what the design criteria are. So, not sure its wise unless they want to make it standalone. Low Power Blue Tooth with the Iphone doing the connectivity is more probable.

JeffyTheQuik

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2014
Charleston, SC and Everett, WA
hmm I wonder if that is the reason why newspapers are calles newspapers and Macrumors is called MacRUMORS. :p

Yeah, I guess I failed on my attempt to call out the newspapers. What I saw was MacRumors posting about Newspapers reporting on rumors as if they were facts.

MacRumors reporting on rumors - no problems
WSJ/NYT reporting on rumors - that's what the whole purport to report thing was about.

zipa

macrumors 65816
Feb 19, 2010
Those are products with a rigid, curved display, the question was regarding flexible (like plexiglass).

Yes, and so will this be, obviously. Unless Apple plans calling it the iScratchMagnet, it'll have a Gorilla Glass or sapphire glass on it. That doesn't change the fact that the display panel itself is flexible, and not fixed to a plane as with ordinary panels.

Edit: and the displays on those products are flexible. The casings are obviously not.

t0mat0

macrumors 603
Aug 29, 2006
Home

Agreed. Nordic semiconductors' work seems getting there (Curious to see Broadcom's wifi chips have/had the option mentioned to do resonant charging too). Still from a video shows how small it's getting. I thought resonant wireless charging had shipped in some phones, but we'll see. NFC gives Apple enough this year - I'd take better iPhone cables that don't break over wireless for now.

Side note - anyone know the part highlighted?

In the future? NXP do have the tech (still from a recent MWC demo of their tech on their Youtube account.) When I saw the metal iPhone piece, I was curious as to whether they could replace that with a glass one that had the NFC, wireless in. Maybe another time

Given the size of the form factor - i'm curious to see how they get to fit it in the iDevice, but not the iPad or iPhone? Maybe it's like Touch ID - it slowly spreads across the products - iWatch gets the first crack at the technology?

Attachments

• qi from nxp.png
    qi from nxp.png
    135.4 KB · Views: 51
  • Screen Shot 2014-09-06 at 12.09.03.png
    Screen Shot 2014-09-06 at 12.09.03.png
    960.4 KB · Views: 60
  • Screen Shot 2014-09-06 at 13.03.45.png
    Screen Shot 2014-09-06 at 13.03.45.png
    2 MB · Views: 50
  • Screen Shot 2014-09-06 at 12.00.52.png
    Screen Shot 2014-09-06 at 12.00.52.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 44

Keithify

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2014
I don't think the iWatch would be a square or even rectangular. Apple seems pretty proud of the iWatch and amazingly, nothing has been leaked so far about it.

It could look something more like the moto360?
Moto-360.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.