Apple's London Stores to Distribute iPhone and iPad Olympic Pins

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 26, 2012.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

With the opening ceremonies for the 2012 Summer Olympics set for tomorrow in London, Apple is preparing to offer an extra bonus to some customers visiting its stores in the area during the roughly two-week event. The company has produced a series of four lapel pins commemorating the London Olympics, displaying the flag of the United Kingdom in place of the screen of both black and white iPhones and iPads.

[​IMG]

The pins are distributed attached to larger sheets of cardboard that appear as five iOS device flags hanging on a line, with the center one being the actual lapel pin.

[​IMG]

We have not confirmed the exact details on distribution of the pins, but we've heard that select stores will be distributing the free of charge while supplies last on select days. Also unclear is how broad the distribution will be: Apple has a total of six retail stores inside the M25 motorway encircling London, with several others just outside and a total of 33 in the United Kingdom.

Apple offered a similar promotion during the 2010 Winter Olympics in Vancouver, distributing an iPod nano pin with the Canadian maple leaf at one store and a pair of pins showing off the maple leaf and the Apple logo at the other Vancouver-area store open at the time. Apple now has four stores in the Vancouver area.

Article Link: Apple's London Stores to Distribute iPhone and iPad Olympic Pins

2. macrumors member

Wow. That's not tacky at all.

3. macrumors G4

Nice. It's great how everyone has gotten round the IOC's branding police by simply hoisting the Union Flag all over the place :)

Unfortunately I have nothing to buy at the Apple Store, so will have to do without.

4. macrumors 604

lordofthereef

Incoming eBay onslaught. I am sure someone will make a killing, especially considering they are free.

5. macrumors regular

BanterClaus

Dang. I won't be in London at any point during the Olympics.

6. macrumors member

Why not British Flag on underwear? :cool: It would sell like hot bread rolls! Sigh...

7. macrumors 68020

USA! USA! USA!

Does anyone else hear that song from that stupid "justice league" movie?

8. macrumors 68020

These are nice, I want a one!

Leave it up to Apple to pay attention to detail when localizing their products.

9. macrumors G4

Yeah, but that's nothing special. ALL British underwear has the Union Flag on it by law already, although the Scottish are allowed to substitute with the Saltire if the wearer prefers.

10. macrumors 604

jmann

omg want

11. macrumors 6502a

Mad-B-One

I wonder if some customers will sell them for prices making their "purchase" free. There will be some Applenatics out there paying it, right? :D

12. macrumors 68030

Amazing Iceman

Yeah, cool souvenirs. :cool:

13. macrumors 6502a

clukas

:( Shame I'm going on holiday.

14. macrumors 68000

deannnnn

That's pretty awesome! I want one with an American flag!

15. macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Just pop in and show a Genius your Britain-branded boxers, he'll be legally obliged to offer you a badge in return. :)

16. macrumors 603

Rocketman

In the Olympic village the two primary activities are exchanging and trading of pins, and condom usage contests. The pin exchange is also popular among the tourist crowd.

Rocketman

17. macrumors regular

Tacky

18. macrumors G4

This is true, although like deannnnn above I want one with an American flag on it instead. I wonder if they have any of the pre-1783 design in stock...

19. macrumors regular

Tombs

Grow up

----------

It doesn't stick so it isn't tacky.

20. macrumors 68020

Prodo123

[​IMG]

21. macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

I'm not sure if that's legal or not.

22. macrumors regular

hip hop... cherrio... how nice of Apple to give us blokes somethin to pin to me blazer! Nuttin ta see hare ma'am... move along ya bloody wankers!!

23. macrumors G4

My goodness man. You sound just like one of the natives.

Quite.

Tea?
    Ah. Prince Harry's famous 2006 debutante pair. Very fashionable, even now :)

24. macrumors 6502

MattDell

Hmm.... might have to swing by if I can brave the crowds! I wonder how difficult it will be to get a set...

25. macrumors 65816

Exactly what I was thinking, this is somehow going to become a must have product