Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
That's almost certainly the sign of someone whose department was doing an extremely good job.

I didn't say Apple's PR wasn't in the forefront of their operations, as they definitely were, but their very head was usually nowhere to be found. I don't know, maybe that's how it's supposed to be.

iTiki

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2007
Maui, Hawaii
She obviously had something going for her to be with Apple for 18 years. She's still young, still hot (maybe not the smile) and probably rich. Good for her. I wish her the best.

guspasho

macrumors regular
Apr 13, 2011
That's low, yo. Don't do personal attacks. We all have our bad moments. Let's keep it classy. ;)

In his defense, that was my immediate reaction too. What I'm wondering is why such a terrible photo was the selected photo for their public relations VP. I'm sure she looks much better than that photo represents, and excelled at her job as most Apple employees do. It's strange.

kaylerrific

macrumors regular
Dec 26, 2012
I do agree that if she were a man then maybe a lot of these comments wouldn't even have been made. Aggressive women do have it sort of rough sometimes. And maybe they bring it upon themselves sometimes, but more often than not they're unfairly characterized in a way that wouldn't be the same for a man with the same attitude.

melendezest

Suspended
Jan 28, 2010
I'm sincerely not saying this to be snotty or argumentative, nor is this directed at anybody in particular, but seriously guys...

This forum, Mac forums in general, appear to be in need of a refresher course on the mind of Steve Jobs. Netflix has a number of good shows about him, including an excellent interview where he explains himself in his own words.

As example, in that interview Jobs said that was worth one million by 23, ten million by 24, and 100 million by 25. But he never cashed in any of the stock, or thought about the money much, because that's NOT what it was about for him. His words, not mine.

There's more to Apple than profits and gadget consumerism.

Turning one's back on one's first born child is not greatness. And in speaking this way of the deceased, I'm acting rather like Jobs might, socially clueless, Persistent Nerd Syndrome. That's part of Apple too. It's not smart when I do it, when Jobs did it, or when Apple does it.

To your first point: Steve's dead. And Tim Cook is no Steve Jobs. Apple has made more than enough money, but continues to shrink its product lines instead of expanding it. That maximizes their profits, but doesn't necessarily put out the "best" product out there for more people.

To your second point: Apple (and Steve) made great products. That family was sacrificed in the process is unfortunate, but like I stated, the road to greatness involves sacrifice. I'm neither condoning nor judging Steve Jobs choices, but I am merely pointing out that you cannot serve two masters. It may (or may not) be the case that he was great at one hing (computing business), and not so great at parenting. That still does not diminish his greatness, at least in a given area. People are not one dimensional.

Nalp2010

macrumors member
Dec 23, 2008
...Swisher to note that many negative comments made about Cotton might not have been made about a man in such a powerful position...

Dear, oh dear, what a misandrist cliche. Yes Mz Swisher any negative comments about her are a patriarchal conspiracy, everybody knows men are made of slugs, snails, and puppy dogs tails and women are made of sugar and spice and all things nice.

You should take your own advice Kara and "Grow up!". :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Felasco

Oct 19, 2012
melendezest, thank you for your reply to my comments.

It's not my intention to either worship or demonize Steve Jobs. His life was his, and the choices he made were his to make.

Rather, my point is that Steve Jobs expressed in his own words very clearly that Apple was for him about more than making money.

Although he was relentlessly focused on product development, my sense is that this too served a larger vision.

To the degree we become distracted by the details of gadget consumerism and quarterly balance statements I believe we are casually discarding much of what was special about Jobs, and thus Apple.

A larger vision doesn't have to come from Tim Cook, who is likely very busy. It can come from us too. We are Apple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.