Apple's (Lousy) Support - Help?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by macguymike, Apr 19, 2003.

1. macguymike macrumors 6502

I contemplated buying an 800Mhz iBook for some time but always ended up balking at the G3. So, when the PBG4 12" was released, I snatched one up. :D

Unfortunately, during normal usage, one of the feet fell off. I didn't notice until afterwards and the foot is lost, probably somewhere at work or on campus. I work for an Apple reseller and am working on becoming tech certified so I looked through GSX to find the foot to replace my lost one. No such luck.

So, I called Apple and was promptly informed that my loss of the foot was not covered under warranty as it was a "cosmetic issue" (even though Apple themselves says that the feet are there to help cool the computer, not to mention the scratches that corner of the case is likely to acquire because of it) and that I would be paying out a nice sum of $650US and sending my machine in to HAVE THE ENTIRE BOTTOM OF THE CASING REPLACED.

...what?!?!

The foot (for those who don't know) is secured to the bottom of the case with a rubber nub on the foot itself and some glue. I do not subject my machine to anything other than normal carrying and usage. I see absolutely no reason at all for this nonsense that Apple is trying to feed me. The best response I've been able to get thus far is that they will absorb the cost for me and see if they can get some feet for me, but I'll still have to give up my computer for a week. All I want is a foot (and possibly some extra ones in case Apple's "special glue" fails on me again and I lose another foot). I can put the darn thing on myself, thanks. Its not brain surgery. :rolleyes:

Even our cert'ed tech was told that he would have to wait a few days for Apple's people to "look into the matter."

Anyone else have similar experiences with this sort of thing? This is pretty poor service on Apple's part as far as I'm concerned. Its a rubber foot. It can't cost more than $2, glue included (and that's being generous). What's the harm in sending me one?

On an unrelated note, my combo drive likes to hang onto CDs now and then. I usually have to go though every single different method of ejecting it several times (including via booting Open Firmware) before it will come out. I don't want to have to send my Mac in after this kind of treatment (regarding the foot) - any suggestions/thoughts? :confused:

2. whfsdude macrumors 6502a

The ones for the iBook cost 6$ and just twist in. They covered me, I had applecare maybe that is why. But **** they are 6$ call again and speak to another tech.

3. macguymike thread starter macrumors 6502

Applecare?

Do you think maybe they're biased against people who haven't purchased AppleCare? I do plan on buying it; I just don't have $350 sitting around at the moment.

Will be emailing/calling again on Monday, definitely (also annoying that their tech support is completely down all weekend).

Thanks. :)

4. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

hmm dunno if this helps but last week one of my feet fell off so I called and said that ever since i got it back form applecare (new mobo) the foot had been loose. I kepy saying how it was fine before i sent it in and the guy was like well you'll have to send it in and I said but its just a foot couldn't i atleast try jsut snapping one in. So he said ok and sent me the feet which i got plus two extra. I guess the bottom line is putting the right spin on it.

5. macguymike thread starter macrumors 6502

Dood.. apparently I just have really good luck with the techs I get connected to. :p

Thanks, though, this should help me make a case to get my own foot/feet.

Did you get yours yet? And if so, did it stay in when you put it on or did it require some extra adhesive?

6. ShaolinMiddleFinger macrumors 6502a

ShaolinMiddleFinger

The foot on the bottom of my iBook's battery fell off also. I called up Apple and they sent me the wrong feet!?!?!! I called them up again and they just sent me a whole new battery for the old one.

I suggest you try another tech and see what happens...

7. Tommy! macrumors regular

Apple has had my 12" PB for SEVENTEED DAYS now. I called them yesterday to ask what was taking so long. They claim theyre "waiting for a part to come in." WHAT?!?!? They make the damn part! they ARE the company! Jeez! If I send a product to its own company for repairs, wouldn't you think they'd have the part in to um, you know, repair the computer? It's a logic board for cryin out loud. It's not a hard-to-find pez dispenser. Well, I'll have to wait another week, "at least" :mad:

8. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

Well i guess my problem was the feet because the replaced one is now as secure as the others(no glue). I think its more about how you ask. I actually took a lesson from Kevin Mitchnik's book and ranted about other things then coyly mentionted that the foot came off. I think this is the best strategy. you bury your real intent in an odd story about why you think apple is to blame and you get free feet. If you calling and saying, the foot fell off GIVE ME A NEW ONE, your destined for failure.

9. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

oops... i hit quote instead of edit , either way . just remember they can send you the feet for free its your job to get them to do that.

10. acj macrumors 6502

service standards

I've never had to deal with Apple service so I always wondered how it was. My boss had an HP laptop (so big!) and the screen started to flicker ever so slightly. He called HP, and they gave him info how to FedEx it overnight for free. It came back not the next day, but the day after that, for free. And this was to Fairbanks, Alaska.

His friend also had an HP (even bigger! Seriously!) . We were watching a DVD on a projector, and we went to plug in an audio cable to the headphones jack. When it's cold in the winter here, it's dry and static builds up. Anyway, a giant spark jumped to the headphones jack and the laptop instantly shut off. When we turned it back on it said something like "No OS". He sent it in and in the same turnaround time they recovered all his data and put it on a new hard drive, and installed a new sound board, again all for free.

EVERY company should have service like this. No excuses, in my opinion.

11. janey macrumors 603

janey

one of my friends has a new iBook (about a few days old) and one of the feet fell off...already.
    he just went to the apple store and they gave him some...

12. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

Re: service standards

I got service like that from apple! Just last week!
    It was a one year old ibook 600 with applecare, screen goes black whenever it's adjusted/ opened. I called Apple, and had a pre-paid Airborne Express box at my door the next day. The day after, I calld Airborne, they came and picked up the ibook, and it was at apple by the next (business) day. Apple fixed the ibook and ships it back out on the same day they received it. It was back in my hands, completely fixed, two business days after I shipped it!

13. macguymike thread starter macrumors 6502

Re: service standards

I agree, completely. Especially Apple. Makes it a bit harder for me to sell their product when I get this kind of treatment from their support staff, and hear reports of similar experiences.

You shouldn't have to "trick" the customer service people into sending you a simple part.

14. Tommy! macrumors regular

Re: Re: service standards

aah! not fair! I have been waiting SEVENTEEN days and they told me it would be a week longer at least!! :tear: oh dear :( the loss of a computer and a really crappy haircut and moving all add up to make a pretty bad time in a mans life :(. go on, feel sorrier for me!

15. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

i'm told that apple stores have tons of these, you just have to ask. which leaves most of us in the cold, as there aren't any apple stores in a lot of places...

my iPod remote is messed up... if you route headphones through it, you can only get sound out of left earphone. Otherwise it's fine. I miss my remote every day, but haven't even started the process of claiming warranty... i don't even know where to begin. and i've heard a lot of apple support horror stories... with my luck i'll probably have to send the whole thing in, blah blah...

pnw

16. macguymike thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you to the people who've posted good reports of Apple's service.

That certainly helps remove some of the jadedness from this.

Not sure why they gave me this runaround over a foot. Its just crazy.

17. macguymike thread starter macrumors 6502

Giving Apple a call is usually a good first step. 1-800-APL-CARE

18. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

thanks, posting this finally made me go to their website... after a little confusion about how to order service, i have a new remote arriving in 2-4 days :D

pnw

19. BigJayhawk macrumors regular

I've had MACS from the days they were first called MACS. (I'm on like # 27, 28, and 29.) I've NEVER had anything but perfect relations with Apple Customer Service. Even with refurbished units, used purchases, etc.

Obviously, Apple has to make a buck but in my experience if there has been any "benefit of the doubt" to be given they have just went ahead and worked with me.

As noted above, there is NO DOUBT when working with ANY Customer Service that piling on the compliments or diverting attention WORKS WONDERS on getting the desired outcome. You tell your (hopefully true) about how much good luck you've always had with Apple's customer service and how you just KNEW that as soon as you had such-and-such problem that you just needed to call Apple (or go to the Apple Store) RIGHT AWAY to get the same excellent service. Ahhh! They are just happy to help out as well as your "previous experiences" (within reason, of course)!

20. macguymike thread starter macrumors 6502

Excellent!! :D:)