Apple's Low-Cost iPhone Design Said to Be Mix of iPhone 5 and iPod Touch with iPod Classic Curves

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 28, 2013.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

iLounge follows up its reports from last week about Apple's future iOS device plans with a new report sharing details on Apple's rumored lower-cost iPhone. According to the report, the new device will indeed be constructed primarily of plastic and offers design similarities to the iPhone 5, iPod touch, and even the iPod classic.
    The device is reportedly about half a millimeter taller and wider than the iPhone 5, but also about one millimeter thicker.

[​IMG]
    Similarities to the iPod classic are said to arrive in the form of the curves on the rear edges of the device. The report indicates that the sides and rear of the device will all be flat and connected by distinct curves rather than extending the curves all the way through the rear shell of the device.
    [​IMG]
    The rear and bottom edges of the lower-cost iPhone will reportedly be something of a hybrid of the iPhone 5 and the current iPod touch, with a the bottom edge showing a similar layout of features to the iPhone 5 but with fewer holes.

Apple has long been rumored to be working on a lower-cost iPhone, but rumors have accelerated in recent weeks with indications that the company may launch the device later this year.

Article Link: Apple's Low-Cost iPhone Design Said to Be Mix of iPhone 5 and iPod Touch with iPod Classic Curves

2. macrumors G4

daneoni

Am i the only one who thinks this is a waste of time? Isn't the 4S/4 more than sufficient for a low cost option?

3. macrumors regular

Lordskelic

4. macrumors regular

I really, really doubt. Apple usually doesn't cater to low-end markets. If they did, we would have had a $600 plastic MacBook years ago.

5. macrumors 601

I don't understand this low cost thing. Isn't that what selling the iPhone 4 and iPhone 4S is for???

6. macrumors member

I call BS. If they are still using the retina screen, A6 Processor, dual cameras, LTE, etc. then the cost savings for the outside shell are going to be negligible for a low cost version and will not be worth the R&D rather than just selling the previous model, which they have to get rid of anyway.

7. macrumors member

So we will soon have the bigger iPhone+, and this cheaper iPhone-.

8. macrumors 65816

Time for the Apple takeover of third world countries!

9. macrumors member

carlos916

Keep it up apple and ur going to lose customers to the new blackberry phone

10. macrumors 6502a

Total waste of time to create a 'budget' iPhone

11. macrumors 68000

Tankmaze

More iphone on the market = great market share = more apps and other content available

12. macrumors 604

bushido

wouldnt a low cost, contract free iPhone kill the iPod Touch?

anyway, if they do release one i predict multiple colors like on the iPod Touch (probably plastic) and the "high end" iPhone staying at the "classic" black and white.

13. macrumors 6502

Apple is currently selling the iPhone 4 for $450, and the 4S for $550. That's not low-cost for countries where carrier subsidy isn't an option.

14. macrumors 68020

Ok this whole "low cost" iPhone thing is ridiculous. Sooo they're gonna sell the iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, iPhone 5S and a "low cost" iPhone? Nope.

15. Jarrodbcall, Jan 28, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2013

macrumors newbie

This actually makes total sense to me. By replacing the 4s with the budget phone, Apple is able to make a complete transition if screen size. All phones being sold will be 4", which will let them utilize the space in the upcoming ios update. Maybe they will incorporate the taller app switcher that has been floating around?

Also, it would complete the change to the new charger/synch cable. The consistency may be worth any extra RD costs.

16. macrumors 6502

Doesn't make sense at all. They have the older generations of iPhones for this.

17. macrumors 68020

18. macrumors 68020

gmanist1000

Agreed. Not sure why this would be a good idea.

19. macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

If this turns out to be true, what will the naysayers do? The ones that said "Apple does not and will never deal with lower end iPhones"?

Their worlds must be crumbling. :p

And I wonder what the unlocked price of these will be...

20. macrumors regular

Would be nice if they do it, will widen up the market a lot. Not everyone wants to pay $650 -850 for a phone. Heck, an iPad 4th gen is way cheaper, $499-699 for wifi-only.

Nevertheless I don't really see Apple rolling out a cheaper model, since the profits would be much lower. Unless ofcourse they find a way to maintain the big profit margins. These phones will soon be outdated though - unless they keep two versions of iOS. A high-performance and a lower-performance version. Makes it even more unlikely. I do like the design though.

21. macrumors 6502a

I feel the same. Plus I think they are wasting money when they could just keep making the iPhone 4 and sell in developing markets.

22. macrumors 65816

TouchMint.com

Still looks pretty legit (I would def buy 1 if I needed a new phone). I am guessing this will become the "free" phone with contract.

23. macrumors 6502a

the 4 and 4s are not "low budget." they are only $0 or $99 because of carrier subsidies. you buy them outright or out of contract they are still $499ish

low budget would be: buying an iPhone with no contract for $100-$250

24. macrumors member

The price?

Is going to be $ 450 for 16GB version without a contract, and free with a contract? Very nice prices!

What do you think?

25. ElTorro, Jan 28, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2013

macrumors 6502

Does it matter what the back side is made of or what it looks like? Most people will put the phone into a big plastic case anyway.