Apple's Mac market share rise is good for consumers

Discussion in ' News Discussion' started by MacBytes, Dec 10, 2007.

1. macrumors bot

Jul 5, 2003
  2. macrumors 6502a

Jan 26, 2004
    Northern Hemisphere (Norway)
  3. macrumors G5

May 2, 2002
    Hmmmm.... maybe I'm missing something. The article says that 29% of respondents now plan to buy a Mac. And this is an amazing increase in just two years... from 27%? (16% notebook + 11% desktop.)

That's only 1% a year the way I read it.

And later they refer to 24% as "most."

I don't doubt that there's a big trend toward more Mac users, and I agree that if other companies start to copy Apple successfully that will be nice--but I wasn't easily able to dig the facts out of that article.
  4. macrumors regular

Dec 8, 2003
    Washington State
    new math?

Yeah I too am confused. I saw an article a few days ago here:

Among talking about the mac market share was a reference to the same poll. "The latest ChangeWave consumer poll found that 29% of likely notebook and desktop PC buyers in the next 90 days are planning to get a Mac. That's higher than consumer purchase intent for HP laptops (21%), HP desktops (24%) and Dell laptops (28%). But Dell had higher demand for its desktops (31%).

The trend line is clearly up for Apple. Two years ago, 16% of likely notebook PC buyers and 11% of desktop PC buyers planned to buy Macs."

nagromme, as you said... a 1% increase?
  5. macrumors 603

Aug 2, 2002
    Cork, Ireland.
    According to the original article, 29% of laptop consumers will buy a Mac laptop, and 29% of desktop consumers will buy a Mac desktop. That is a massive improvement, if true.

I'll believe it when I see it though. Their previous forecasts in the same chart don't seem to have come true either.

Report (PDF)