Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
Apple really dropped the ball on this launch.

They are loosing money? They are doing something "new" ( supply == demand for iPhone upgrade for last 2-3 years) ?

They weren't dropping the ball already when the Mac Pro was pulled from the EU market because it was too old ?

This is standard Apple Marketing to create a launch context of scarcity so they will have folks up at 3 a.m. (or whatever hour) on launch day with credit cards ready to buy something with no solid reviews or opportunity to evaluate. ..... and still sell millions of dollars of product.

It isn't going to kill anyone to wait a several weeks to buy one. [ If a business crtical system the old one should still be working. and if is way toooooo old then it isn't Apple's fault it hasn't been replaced previously. ]

I guess this shows them how much more popular the Mac Pro is then they had thought, and how many pro users were chomping at the bit to finally get there hands on a new updated Mac Pro.

Not really. Apple has more likely selected a factory that can deal with the relatively (to most other Macs ) volume they are going to produce over a year. So if have a factory that can make 6-8K units per month and the initial demand bubble is 10K units per month they'll be a bit behind the curve for about 2-3 months.

The first 20K units aren't as big of an issue of the overall 60-90K going to sell all year. Apple has a "how many do you efficiently sell in a year " issue not a "how many can you sell in 4 weeks" issue.

Apple is probably going to sell more iMacs in 1-2 months than Mac Pros all year.

Maybe now apple will see that the iPhone isn't the only product that people have demand for and start showing more love to the pro market.

Mac Pro isn't in the same volume league as the iMac let alone the iPhone. The iOS devices are in a totally different zip code. They have little to nothing to do with Mac ecosystem resource allocation. Mac Pro hasn't particularly competitive with its cohorts. No need to go off looking in the iOS ecosystem.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
surprised to see so much demand for such a high priced desktop. in a world where phones and tablets are what everyone wants, here is a nice mix-up. except it's really expensive.

ZOZO

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2013
surprised to see so much demand for such a high priced desktop. in a world where phones and tablets are what everyone wants, here is a nice mix-up. except it's really expensive.

I think it's less that this thing is insanely popular, more that Apple underestimated how many pros they had waiting for this update. It's been so long since Apple issued a serious update to the pro, perhaps they don't really have any good statistics on the matter.

iBug2

macrumors 601
Jun 12, 2005
Essentially the Mac Pro hasn't been updated since 2009/2010. People have been waiting for a real update for the past 3-4 years. to me thats not showing the pro market "Love", and then the kick in the pants on top of that is a promise of a new Mac Pro in the fall of 2013 which has turned into the winter/spring of 2014.

Don't get me wrong I am very grateful that apple has spent the time and money to develop a new Mac Pro. What I am saying is it appears obvious by the demand of it that I believe Apple has misjudged the important of the Pro market and its users.

We'll see whether Apple misjudged it or not depending on future sales.

----------

Judging soley by what I've seen at the Apple store a few times since it went on display, lot's of people don't want one. I was the only one who checked it out the few times I was there.

Obviously not everyone wants one, but by your "experiment", lots of people don't check out the iMacs either. People in Apple stores mostly browse the iOS devices or the laptops.

Digitalclips

macrumors 65816
Mar 16, 2006
Sarasota, Florida
Judging soley by what I've seen at the Apple store a few times since it went on display, lot's of people don't want one. I was the only one who checked it out the few times I was there.

Most of us spending $6-12K on a Mac have business accounts with Apple and don't walk into Apple Stores to pick one up. Not to say that never happens, but I always have high end gear shipped directly from Apple and most folks I know using high end Macs do the same.

----------

It's a different market. In fact ironically, for a long time it was one of Apple's main markets, 'graphics and video pros'. The market to which you refer is the relatively new one, the post iPhone paradigm shifting event.

prowlmedia

Suspended
Jan 26, 2010
London
Most of us spending $6-12K on a Mac have business accounts with Apple and don't walk into Apple Stores to pick one up. Not to say that never happens, but I always have high end gear shipped directly from Apple and most folks I know using high end Macs do the same.

Originally Posted by twoodcc surprised to see so much demand for such a high priced desktop. in a world where phones and tablets are what everyone wants, here is a nice mix-up. except it's really expensive.

It's a different market. In fact ironically, for a long time it was one of Apple's main markets, 'graphics and video pros'. The market to which you refer is the relatively new one, the post iPhone paradigm shifting event.

The only issue with getting it online if something does go wrong you have to deal with online sales. you can't just go into your local store.

Regarding the iPhone/iPad comments. Most people seem to forget as the iOS devices get faster.. you need something magnitudes faster to actually create content for them. The Mac pro is that.

everything-i

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2012
London, UK
This is hardly surprising giving the pent up demand for these machines but its unlikely to continue for too long. There is a still a very small market for these devices and I suspect Apple have facilities that are adequate to cope with demand once the initial rush is oveer. After all there is no point in building a huge factory to make these things when you are only going to have to mothball half of it after six months when initial demand dies down.

kingtj

macrumors 68030
Oct 23, 2003
Brunswick, MD
Not that surprising ....

The majority of walk in customers at Apple retail stores are people needing help with or accessories for an iPhone. Then you've got a lot of people shopping for notebook computers and iPads.

That leaves only a relatively small minority who come in interested in any desktop form-factor machine -- and a big part of this crowd is going to be looking at the iMac.

The Mac Pro was NEVER really looked at very often in the stores, as evidenced by the small amount of shelf space dedicated to it.

I think what we're seeing here, really, is Apple not producing very large numbers of the new Mac Pros to begin with. They're building them in the USA, for starters. Labor is more expensive, and doubly so if they have to pay workers overtime pay or pay differentials for working later shifts. So I wouldn't be surprised if the factory shuts down by 5PM each day. Additionally, you're dealing with pent up demand right now, which will fade away as soon as all the existing pre-orders get filled. I don't know that Apple is interested in tooling up the factory to produce huge numbers of these systems just to meet initial demand more quickly, only to have excess, unused capacity sitting there after that?

Mike MA

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2012
Germany
No, its more like the Pro customers have been waiting two years for the new machine to be released and are now buying en masse.

Well, assuming Apple is meeting the demand. On the other hand, there could be just a lack of supply due to moving the manufacturing back to the U.S.

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Dec 15, 2013
New York

That's just cuz other people aren't apple fanboys and don't care... They still want one they just don't know it.

jshbckr

macrumors 6502
Apr 20, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
Anyone have any indication of when these will hit the Apple Employee store? (I'm not an employee, I just know some that have graciously given me discounts in the past.)

NewbieCanada

macrumors 68030
Oct 9, 2007
Apple really dropped the ball on this launch.

I guess this shows them how much more popular the Mac Pro is then they had thought, and how many pro users were chomping at the bit to finally get there hands on a new updated Mac Pro.

Maybe now apple will see that the iPhone isn't the only product that people have demand for and start showing more love to the pro market.

No, what it means is that, like they do with EVERY product, Apple contracts for manufacturing capacity for the lifetime of the product, not for initial demand. It absolutely does not mean there is demand for this product that is in any way comparable to the iPhone, iPad, or even MacBook and iMac.

Yearly unit sales for the nMP? Maybe 100,000. Yearly sales for mobile devices? Tens of millions.

Difference between you and Apple? They know their market intimately. You don't.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Wait...we're to judge Mac Pro popularity by the number of people playing with it at an Apple store? Really? What percentage of consumers that frequent an Apple store would be Mac Pro customers, or even know what the Mac Pro is for that matter?

N19h7m4r3

macrumors 65816
Dec 15, 2012
Wait...we're to judge Mac Pro popularity by the number of people playing with it at an Apple store? Really? What percentage of consumers that frequent an Apple store would be Mac Pro customers, or even know what the Mac Pro is for that matter?

We don't have official Apple Stores in Ireland, but the chap in iConnect( an official reseller), didn't have a clue about it when I asked.

I asked if they also had any webcams I could use with my Mac Pro, he stated they don't sell webcams because all Macs have them.
I told him the Mac Pro does, and he said "of course they do" while pointing at a MacBook Pro. :confused::confused:

I think if you really need a Mac Pro you probably won't be dealing with resellers in a shop, you'd either order online for delivery, or at most a scheduled pick up at a store near you.

rainbowsofwhite

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2011
Wow! I didn't realise there was so many people able to part with so much $$$ for a computer, unfortunately it isn't me.

I was interested for 10min and then realised with all the "add-ons" it became a $6138.00 (6 Core, 32GB, only 512 storage).

One question I do have.
How much difference in performance would be between
a new base model MacPro (3.7 QuadCore Xeon, 16GB, 1TB SSD, Dual AMD FirePro D300/2GB) and my current MacBook Pro Retina 15 (2.6 QuadCore i7, 16GB, 1TB SSD, NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M/2GB) ?

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011

You can judge it any way you like. My comment was quite clear and not a general statement by any means. I posted what I have personally seen and specifically stated so.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
One question I do have.
How much difference in performance would be between
a new base model MacPro (3.7 QuadCore Xeon, 16GB, 1TB SSD, Dual AMD FirePro D300/2GB) and my current MacBook Pro Retina 15 (2.6 QuadCore i7, 16GB, 1TB SSD, NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M/2GB) ?
It depends on what you do with your computer. For many things you wouldn't noticed a difference.

eadnams

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2013
I dunno, my 12-core that was earmarked for "Ships in February" Shipped last week. Doesn't seem like they're behind. Tho there seems to be high demand.

fermat-au

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2009
Australia
I wouldn't want to be a pro who has actually need a new Mac Pro to make a living.

when was it that Tim Cook first alluded to the fact that "There is something coming for Pros"? Early 2013?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.