Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
...they should of produce this LONG TIME AGO...when they first introduced it....(sometime early 2013).

Not possible since Intel didn't start shipping the new xeons until September (and who knows what kind of quantities it has been available at since then). TB2 is also new and wasn't shipping in anything when they announced it. So they could have updated MP sooner but it would have been with an earlier generation of xeons and potentially just TB1.

dysamoria

macrumors 68020
Dec 8, 2011
What a crock. As an american worker myself the only thing the law mandates is a 30 min lunch other than that, there is no other mandate. I currently work 14 hour days at my job.

He had "worker" confused with "exempt". In my experience, if you were not on the time-clock "punching" cards, you were called "exempt" and you had more break time and much more flexibility. The two 15-minute breaks for the clock-slaves might've been an optional "benefit" at that company where I did both clock slave and exempt in my time there. Not certain. But there's definitely a difference. So too with grey collar work compared to blue collar work.

American workers aren't lazy. They're incredibly slandered by everyone that has it in their best interests to slander them (because that's how you devalue their work, pay them less, and dispose of their jobs without mass uprisings). Compared to some other countries, yes, Americans have some better treatment. We're not the best and we're not the worst (though corporatism seems hell bent on making it the worst; who needs telephone sanitizers, right? ;-) ).

Wild-Bill

macrumors 68030
Jan 10, 2007
bleep
So, we should take a post seriously with kid language (Fail lol LOL etc..), an avatar of a trashcan with an apple logo and a signature that suggests to complain to apple about the Mac Pro design just because you joined in 2007?

You can take the post however you like. My posting history on MR clearly establishes my loathing for the nMP. Very easy to find with some due diligence on your part. If I were a "troll" it would have been my first and only post.

I don't like the nMP, I've made that fact known in the Mac Pro forums on several occasions.
I have neither the time nor the desire to wax poetic and use "adult language" every time I do it. This is the internet after all, not an English class.

:rolleyes:

koban4max

macrumors 68000
Aug 23, 2011
Yes, 2 months, which is exactly what it's been since after the first few days the Mac Pro went on sale. Slipping timeframes would imply the time frame is getting longer, and it's not. For it to slip from what it is now, it'd have to be something along the lines of "Shipments have slipped from 2 month estimates to 3 months."

It sounds silly on the face of it, but from a marketing/resources standpoint, you're almost always better off not having quite enough product to meet demand rather than satiate everyone out of the gate. Having slightly more than enough for everyone would a larger failing on Tim's part more so than the gripes going on here.

Does anyone think for a second articles wouldn't pop up with titles like, "Mac Pros sitting on shelves, What does it mean for the state of Pros?"

And having 30 days worth of product sitting on shelves was one of the big points that once upon a time almost put Apple as a company under.

Not enough vs. having too much...... I'm not sure if under production would be an ideal...i'm sure people would switch to something else if that was the case.

----------

Not possible since Intel didn't start shipping the new xeons until September (and who knows what kind of quantities it has been available at since then). TB2 is also new and wasn't shipping in anything when they announced it. So they could have updated MP sooner but it would have been with an earlier generation of xeons and potentially just TB1.

okay..i'll take that back...on production part...however..they shouldn't make this kind of announcement if they didn't have the intel parts at that time.

chirpie

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2010
Not enough vs. having too much...... I'm not sure if under production would be an ideal...i'm sure people would switch to something else if that was the case.

Oh I agree it isn't ideal. Idea would be just barely enough and even sold out in some places, but we'll have more in tomorrow. :D

Personally I agree with others who think Apple is keeping production levels at what they think the average demand will eventually be, seeing as the nMP isn't a high profit item (compared to other devices) and most of that thing is assembled by robots. (costly to ramp up and down vs human labor)

koban4max

macrumors 68000
Aug 23, 2011
Oh I agree it isn't ideal. Idea would be just barely enough and even sold out in some places, but we'll have more in tomorrow. :D

Personally I agree with others who think Apple is keeping production levels at what they think the average demand will eventually be, seeing as the nMP isn't a high profit item (compared to other devices) and most of that thing is assembled by robots. (costly to ramp up and down vs human labor)

:D i hear ya.

I believe MP..in general is very important...at least to the editors and creativity people...don't matter if new version or old...very powerful...and Tim should not underestimate that.

kylepro88

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2006
Nashville
Long wait, but they're trying. Moving things to the USA on this one was going to bring issues, but I'm glad they brought some more jobs back to my country. They'll get the hang of things folks. Not saying you can't be upset, just saying I'm glad this isn't another product being made in China.

TWSS37

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2011
Of course you are right but do you see Apple doing much about it? I don't.

I understand this was more rhetorical, but it is kind of a sad state when Apple knows they have consumers by the you-know-whats and they don't do anything about it. Realizing fully that having an American factory produce these does not allow a simple lift and shift of resources to meet product demand, but it seems like the planning for the demand was either very poor or simply not cared enough about to make any changes. This isn't a simple, "oh, we're an instant gratification society, learn some patience!", IMO that is for people who make excuses for companies who underperform on set expectations. Apple is the one who set end of 2013 as a deadline (which they met) but if they weren't able to meet demand, why would they say that? Just seems like this is a case of the customer being taken advantage of.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
okay..i'll take that back...on production part...however..they shouldn't make this kind of announcement if they didn't have the intel parts at that time.

People have been screaming for an update for years, it's hard to blame them for making an announcement and giving customers some info.

koban4max

macrumors 68000
Aug 23, 2011
yeah.. it's alright.. it's not a 'need' for me but a 'want'. Besides, the 15" rMBP is overkill for my needs now. hehe ;)

Nooooooo.....!:eek:
lol....

----------

People have been screaming for an update for years, it's hard to blame them for making an announcement and giving customers some info.

really..is it that hard to hold off the announcement till they mass produce it?
I mean...Tim did mention there would be something mp users...like a tease...but it doesn't need to be announce till they are ready for it.

macsForLife

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2008
FAIL

lol

A quick channel check is showing that there are no shortages of parts to build a Hackint0sh. :D

LOL..... "April". Who wants to wait until APRIL?
Until Cook shutters that factory and moves production to China, expect more of the same.

Man, you sure put a lot of effort into hating an inanimate object...almost like it's all you do....

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Geez, I’ve already been waiting for a month to get mine.

I didn’t order one, just hopeful one will show up on my doorstep ...

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
really..is it that hard to hold off the announcement till they mass produce it?

Hard? I'm not sure why you're complaining. They announced it and said when it would be shipping. I just don't understand the point of withholding info from customers instead of sharing that info and making it easier for users to make a plan.

aloshka

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2009
Since I cancelled my February-shipping order, I guess I will not place another order until the second-half of this year or the next year.

Nooooooooooo... I did the same thing. Just wanted to change the video card to d700. Had Feb ship date, now April. Oh well... I think Apple just did not expect it to sell so well, so they probably did not prepare the factory for such huge shipments. Sort of like when they released 5s/5c, they thought 5c would outsell 5s. It didn't so they quickly switched the assembly lines to focus on 5s. I'm guessing, not that easy to do in 'Merica.

I ordered mine today with some custom stuff like memory and storage. Pick up date at the local Apple Store is May 5.

Why not ship? Might be cheaper if the tax in your ship zipcode is low. I'm at 2.5% tax :)

BayouTiger

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2008
New Orleans
Gotta love Sensational Headlines

Lead time has been 6 weeks since the preorders sipped. The date immediately went to February, in Mid January it went to March, and now mid February it goes to April. At this point it's a Made to Order piece and the lead time is 6 weeks. Get over it!

This is a very normal lead time for most products that are not "consumer" oriented, If they continue to sell like hotcakes you may see production upped and some stock configurations, but I expect we are a long way from that. Carrying a big stock level on a very specialized piece of gear with a small market (and thus small inventory turnover) would not be smart.

I know some may disagree, but likely 80% of the people that comment on the nMP are not really in the market, or likely shouldn't be. Myself included, (though I'll likely be getting one :) )

koban4max

macrumors 68000
Aug 23, 2011
Hard? I'm not sure why you're complaining. They announced it and said when it would be shipping. I just don't understand the point of withholding info from customers instead of sharing that info and making it easier for users to make a plan.

to lessen the anticipation...allowing the item to be more available...
more time to produce the item....
blah..not sure myself.

----------

Nooooooooooo... I did the same thing. Just wanted to change the video card to d700. Had Feb ship date, now April. Oh well... I think Apple just did not expect it to sell so well, so they probably did not prepare the factory for such huge shipments. Sort of like when they released 5s/5c, they thought 5c would outsell 5s. It didn't so they quickly switched the assembly lines to focus on 5s. I'm guessing, not that easy to do in 'Merica.

Why not ship? Might be cheaper if the tax in your ship zipcode is low. I'm at 2.5% tax :)

lame excuse coming from apple if that was true.

GregOhMy

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2013
Made in California
Got mine

Okay, just for info if some of you are waiting and waiting.

I just received my new can yesterday, uploaded overnight and I am working from it now. I can't believe how quiet it is compared to my old MP.

I ordered on the 19th through the business group at a So. Cal. Apple Store
so I guess that my order went in pretty late in the day on the 19th.

My config is 3.5 6-Core
1 TB SSD
16 GB RAM ( bought my own [Crucial] to max out at 64GB and working fine )

I was like a kid having a hard time getting to sleep waiting for that UPS truck to come the next day!

aloshka

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2009
Okay, just for info if some of you are waiting and waiting.

I just received my new can yesterday, uploaded overnight and I am working from it now. I can't believe how quiet it is compared to my old MP.

I ordered on the 19th through the business group at a So. Cal. Apple Store
so I guess that my order went in pretty late in the day on the 19th.

My config is 3.5 6-Core
1 TB SSD
16 GB RAM ( bought my own [Crucial] to max out at 64GB and working fine )

I was like a kid having a hard time getting to sleep waiting for that UPS truck to come the next day!

Gratz!!! I'm so jelous. My original order would have been a feb ship date. Until I decided I want better vid card and 6-core instead of 8... now i'm in april... sigh.

bravegag

macrumors newbie
Apr 24, 2012
I was looking to buy condom online and found ...

I was looking to buy condom online and found this Apple Mac Pro ... what is this? a computerized, flavored condom?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.