Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

User 6502

macrumors 65816
Mar 6, 2014
iPhone 14 doesn't "suck. It sounds like iPhone 14 "sucks" for you, but for someone upgrading from much older models, iPhone14 is "great!". You cannot expect reinventing the wheel or even interesting upgrades every 12 months any longer - look at the automobile industry as an example. As you said, upgrading year to year is not a necessity. Maybe tone down your expectations to more realistic levels?
For someone on older models an iPhone 13 is a better choice as it is virtually identical but significantly cheaper. I can tone down my expectations (already did), apple can tone down their expectations that people like me will upgrade every year as we used to. I wonder what will the shareholders expectations will look like when they will start swing plummeting profits…

User 6502

macrumors 65816
Mar 6, 2014
You tell them! Teach them a lesson. I'm sure your buying power is significant!!
You think I’m the only one not buying iPhone 14 and Apple Watch series 8? Think again, the excitement around these products is close to zero. They can hide behind production constraints only for a time, eventually it will be clear that market ignored them this year and that’s when shareholders will seriously start selling and the stock price plummet.

ghanwani

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2008
How is this possible? I bought the Apple Studio Display. The stock price should have gone through the roof.
Yeah I’m surprised too. I bought a couple of lightning to USB cables so I know I did my part.

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
AirPods are almost like a subscription with recurring revenue due to their disposable battery design. If Apple doesn't think consumers are buying those this year, that's a pretty bad sign of things to come.
A lot of people have been buying AirPods ever since the holiday sales started in early November 2022. It seemed as though every time there was a good deal to be had on AirPods at Amazon, Walmart, Target, etc., they'd sell out or availability would be limited to certain brick and mortar locations.

I've been seeing a lot more people walking around with AirPods over the past 2 months around here.

I think the rumor/news of Apple asking suppliers to reduce manufacturing of components for AirPods and other devices is because the holidays are over and the level of demand for such devices will be lower for at least the next 2 quarters.

AgentOSX

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2017
Hollywood
You have to look at the markets with a long term view. The iPhone was the stimulus back in Fall 2009, that was the new and a must-have gadget for Apple. This time they need to find another product to market. The mixed reality communications device (AR) could be what the doctor needs this time.

It hasn't worked for anyone else.

ghanwani

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2008
Sounds like you're an expert in financial investing and modeling. Would love to see your spreadsheet calculations getting you to $10T then and $1T now. I bet your very proud of your investment portfolio
I’m a novice and my portfolio is quite meager and all in fixed income because I couldn’t stomach stock valuations.

bartolo5

macrumors member
May 11, 2008
Apple needs to be very careful with their strategy outside of the USA. In particular Europe. Their pricing is so obscene vs the android options that makes lots of people not bother with apple.

iOS marketshare is on the 10%s in some countries and that has the direct consequence that the local app ecosystem suffers. I'm already starting to see how iOS versions for some local services are either non-existent or just poorly done. Which makes it even less likely for people to stay on iOS for their next phone.

They need to come out with a lot more SE-like devices at competitive pricing.

Zdigital2015

macrumors 601
Jul 14, 2015
East Coast, United States
Ouch! Devastating news. This is going to be tough upcoming months for Apple. Folks, stop holding on to your devices and upgrade!
Cash outlay for new devices is the last thing on most consumer’s minds right now as they try to afford food, gasoline, their mortgages and auto loans. Until inflation lessens and the Fed lowers interest rates again Apple is not producing anything that is “essential” to anyone. People will get one more year out of their iPhones, iPads and Macs while they weather the current economic climate. My iPhone XR can go at least one more year before upgrading become an important choice. Now, it’s a no-brainer to simply wait.

kuwxman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2009
Kansas City
Again, the stock price has literally nothing to do with what the company is or is not currently doing. We're on the brink of a massive market crash and ALL stocks are falling in unison as the true kings of Wall Street (hedge funds) sell off their stock trying keep their own heads above water.

UltimateSyn

macrumors 601
Mar 3, 2008
Massachusetts
Sounds like its time to diversify. I recommend watching End of the Road, How Money Became Worthless on YT and also Mike Maloney's Hidden Secrets of Money. Well worth the time, imho.
It’s a very small percentage of both my investment portfolio and my net worth. And the only single stock I buy. I do it because it’s the company I believe in the most 👍🏻 but if I lost it all wouldn’t really affect me.

I do appreciate the suggestions, though. I’ll check those out.

Reactions: lovehateapple

Zdigital2015

macrumors 601
Jul 14, 2015
East Coast, United States
The iPhone Pro models get the headlines, but the bulk of Apple's revenue comes from non-Pro devices. If customers aren't interested in regular iPhones, that's a big deal.

AirPods are almost like a subscription with recurring revenue due to their disposable battery design. If Apple doesn't think consumers are buying those this year, that's a pretty bad sign of things to come.
I purchased an iPad Air 4th 64GB on sale ($399) to replace my iPad 6th Gen. My 2017 iPad Pro 12.9 soldiers on until iPadOS improves markedly in usability and my M1 13” MBP is still awesome. My AirPods Pro aren’t even a year old so I can get by for at least one more year. Apple makes nothing essential for anyone right now, Tim Cook is going to learn a very valuable lesson this year.

mdriftmeyer

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2004
Pacific Northwest
Almost 70M AAPL shares have already been sold today

Apple and AMD are two of the highest held shorts on Wall Street. Every time Shorts drive price down Apple buys more shares back in after hours.

Munster and other anal-ysts are floating speculation giving today's new excuse to sell. Apple doesn't mind. That means more total ownership for them over the stock.

Apple is divesting their manufacturing out from China, giving Nikkei the excuse to speculate and legally indemnify them with the worlds, partly because.... which is because they just finished the Quarter in December which had large sales and thus the first month of 2023 will have not as strong and that's to be expected, ever January since the company has been traded.

Screen Shot 2023-01-03 at 11.24.34 AM.jpg

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
You think I’m the only one not buying iPhone 14 and Apple Watch series 8?
Yes.
Think again, the excitement around these products is close to zero.
No it isn’t.
They can hide behind production constraints only for a time, eventually it will be clear that market ignored them this year and that’s when shareholders will seriously start selling and the stock price plummet.
Ok, we’ll see.

ponzicoinbro

Suspended
Aug 5, 2021
We had 12 years of growth largely stimulated artificially with QE and low interest rates. Then the bad behavior inevitably came along. Markets manipulated online and offshore, unregulated crypto markets stealing tons of money and giving it to anonymous rich people and intelligence agencies, tech start ups lying about their products, CEOs in jail, landlords taking advantage of all these conditions to grab tons of land and charge obnoxious amounts for them to convert them into airbnbs. So recession and correction was inevitable.

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
It hasn't worked for anyone else.
Related article

Beyond the practical concerns of battery life, comfort, and price, there's the fundamental issue of the lack of a compelling use case for AR or VR glasses.

While these technologies have some exciting potential, it is not yet clear, beyond certain types of video games, what the killer app will be to make them a must-have for consumers.

The mixed reality device is only one suggestion, as you can see in this article its like a very lofty goal to accomplish, still there are many ways to improve existing Apple products feature sets and functionality. All they need to do is come out with features that are compelling to use and sales will be maintained during this period IMHO. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.