Apple's Music Creation Apps

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Chaszmyr, Jan 8, 2004.

1. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

Can someone please briefly explain the differences between GarageBand, Soundtrack, and Logic, and explain the benefits of the more expensive apps?

2. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Re: Apple's Music Creation Apps

Logic is a pro-audio editing app. Soundtrack is a loop based music creation program targeted mainly at video guys who need audio. Garage Band is basically a stripped down Soundtrack target at consumers. Garage Band is to Soundtrack what iMovie is to Final Cut Pro.

Lethal

3. Chaszmyr thread starter macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

So GarageBand with the Jampack still isnt as good as Soundtrack?

Does soundtrack lack any features that GarageBand contains?

4. bennetsaysargh macrumors 68020

bennetsaysargh

i think that soundtrack you can only use loops, but im not sure. garage band has the different kinds of amps, the guitar and bass plug-in, and the usb keyboard ability. i don't think soundtrack has that.

5. Mantat macrumors 6502a

GB can only use 2 effects per track. My guess is that you can put more in ST. Apple doesnt want to kill its pro market. So the output of GB will always be lower than ST but probably not by much.

I view more the GB - ST analogy as FCE - FCP. Apple really wants to give its user some creative power, not just toy.

I was asking myself a similar question: if GB use the same engine for managing the loops as SoundTrack, would it be possible to use the loops from ST? Or use the loops from the jam pack in ST ?

6. ExoticFish macrumors 6502a

ExoticFish

The inner depths of madness, aka Kent, OH
    soundtrack is for loops and that's it. garageband has the ability to record, edit, loop, play virtual instruments, use midi for those instruments. i'm definately looking forward to it.

7. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

The real difference between GB and ST is that ST is a music app for non-musicians to be able to cook up some good sounding background music, whist GB is definately for musicians, the inclusion of editable MIDI and the synth/sample based machines gives GB a real edge as a composition app.

GB is going to be much better at producing original compositions, and will be extremely useful as a sketchpad for pro users.

I have Logic/ProTools etc, but GB still looks like a winner to me, I ordered iLife 04 just after the keynote, and really only to get my paws on GB and 2 hours of vid in iDVD...:D

In answer to the original question, Logic is an immensely powerful audio production platform aimed at pro-audio/pro-music and advanced music tech users, ST is aimed at video users who need original royalty free music that is relatively easy to create, and GB is aimed at everybody really, I'd say it sits between Logic and Soundtrack.

8. magi.sys macrumors member

This makes me wonder.

Do you guys think the next version of SoundTrack will have MIDI and recording abilities added to it? If Apple really meant GB to be a 'for everyone' version of SoundTrack this might be the case...

If so I hope the instuments and effects are interchangable between to two.

9. pyrotoaster macrumors 65816

pyrotoaster

The real difference between GarageBand and Soundtrack is about $250. ;)

Looks like Apple should be making the difference more clear to us. Then again, maybe they shouldn't. Afterall, Soundtrack is a Pro app, if you need it you know it.

10. elgruga macrumors 6502

elgruga

GarageBand is what you need if you want to make music but need more than SoundEdit 16 or Audacity or Sound Studio, but you dont want the insane (to me) complexity and lack of intuitive interface of all the 'Pro' apps like Cubase, Logic, ProTools etc.

Apple is on some kind of path with this new app - I am trying to figure out what it is.

Is it going to be improved and changed and end up as GarageBand Pro in a couple of years?

This is a cool way to get new customers - give them something free for a couple years and then make it better than anything else and start charging.

I know some see this as bait and switch, but I dont think so. Apple are being smart and we benefit.

How often did you want to try a program for an extended period of time, up to a year, before you really knew you were going to use it enough to justify a purchase?

This is a great week for Apple.

11. Jodeo macrumors member

Jodeo

One Word: LEARNING CURVE!!!

OK, so that's two.

Comparing Logic to GarageBand is like comparing Shake to iMovie. With all available windows open in Logic, it's enough to send Expose into a nervous breakdown.

It seems to me that SoundTrack -- which I have neither seen nor used -- may offer more beef in terms of looping than GB (more loops, more instruments, more options for interfacing with FCP, etc.). But GB is targeted to us home folks that want to throw our own music together, using ANY or ALL of the following tools:

1) Built-in Loops
    2) Internal Audio from external MIDI
    3) External Audio that's MIDI-driven (ie, from GB or other App or ext. sequencer)
    4) External Audio from direct sources (guitar, voice, a well-mic'd Triangle, etc.)

In all, very very versatile.

Some of the limitations include no notation (which I can certainly live without) and I'm not sure to what extent MIDI events (including non-instrument triggering events, such as patch changes, volume/pitch/modulation/etc) can be either edited or filtered.

But with the help of other programs (I mentioned Intuem in another thread, which is only $79), you can still get all the tools you need for a tight budget.

12. Sabenth macrumors 6502a

Sabenth

Having not used any of the aboved mentioned products id say that GB Is for genral home users without a doubt ST is for the semi pros and video wizz kids and Logic is by far PRO PRO PRO...

and at 50 dollars 75 in native australian cash iam more than happy to get GB iPhoto etc etc very happy indeed.

I also use Reason and cubase some times too and as well As Acid for the Pc lets see were this leads hmm ... Apples really getting into the audio game now GREAT!!!

13. Xero macrumors 6502

one major difference between GB and ST has so far been over-looked here, and that is: ST supports AU's (AudioUnits) Plugins, while GB does not. this is a major reason as to why ST costs much more, and is marketed as a semi-Pro/Pro app, mostly for people that need sound for movies, as was previously stated.

Also, i beleive ST has Rewire capabilities, whereas GB does not.

14. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

As others have previously stated, Soundtrack is targeted at non-musicians. Specifically video pro's who want to create royalty-free soundtracks to go under their video. Licensing the a top 40 band's latest hit is very, very expensive, hiring a composer is very expensive, and paying for a good, pre-recorded music library is expensive. Enter Soundtrack. If you have the time, desire, and enough talent to "score" your own projects you'll not only save $$$ but you'll probably have a better overall project.

Lethal

15. tjwett macrumors 68000

tjwett

Re: Re: Apple's Music Creation Apps

Technically Logic isn't an audio editing app. While it does have a very nice editing section it is actually a full-blown music production studio and sequencer. Soundtrack is the audio section of Final Cut Pro boxed and sold as it's own app. It is basically a looper with a video sync window. And GarageBand is a toy for making music with preinstalled loops and synths.

16. ExoticFish macrumors 6502a

ExoticFish

The inner depths of madness, aka Kent, OH
    Re: Re: Re: Apple's Music Creation Apps

but garageband does more than just loops. you can record and edit audio and use midi too.

17. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Re: Re: Re: Apple's Music Creation Apps

Thanx for the clarification, obviously I'm not too familair w/Logic. But Soundtrack is Soundtrack. It has nothing to do w/FCP's audio editing abilities. It was just part of the FCP 4 bundle that was later made for sale on its own.

Lethal

18. PortlandMacUser macrumors newbie

GarageBand in FCP?

I think I am getting the idea about the differences between Soundtrack and GarageBand, but what is the relationship between GarageBand and Final Cut Pro? Will projects recorded in GB be transferable to FCP audio?

Also, are loops in GB usable in ST?