Apple's new 30" cinema display shows some fuzzy text

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Cadkiller, Dec 17, 2004.

1. Cadkiller macrumors member

Cadkiller

Group;

I'm looking to get 2 of these bad boys and I really want to make sure about something before I buy them.

I experienced some fuzzy text displays when I viewed one of my PDF CAD files from my web site at the store. This occured only on some portions of the file and not the whole screen. I'm not sure if this had something to do with my file or maybe some cells in the monitor were bad.

Did anyone experience the same thing as me? I would really like to hear from some of you that have bought this monitor and is using them on a daily basis.

Please take a look at one of my PDF CAD files for me and let me know is you experience the same as me.

http://www.precisiondraftingllc.com/mackaysheilds.pdf

Thanks;
    Cadkiller

2. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Looks fine to me on my 14-inch iBook. Could it have something to do with the font-smoothing settings on the computer you were using to test the monitors?

Sometimes some portions of my screen do look "fuzzy" or darker than other portions -- usually when I'm using Firefox. It will typically be a 2-inch vertical swath extending the height of the screen. It doesn't usually bother me, but I suppose it would if I was doing more design work.

3. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

You'll also need to calibrate any monitor you get, there's a good chance none of the LCD monitors at any store are calibrated.

Many people note that calibrating monitors, powerbooks, ibooks, etc. greatly improves the viewing experience.

This should improve the fuzzy text a bit, but you'll still get some unless you completey turn off font smoothing (which basically turns the text fuzzy in order to get rid of the jaggy.)

4. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

That PDF looks perfect on both the built in 20" LCD in my iMac G5, and the Dell 2005FPW attached to it.

2 x 30" huh, lucky bastard! If you go for it, be sure to come back and post [​IMG]

5. Cadkiller thread starter macrumors member

Cadkiller

2 x 30" huh, lucky bastard!

Talk about lucky. I checked out your 43" plazma that you use for your Xbox. Be careful that it doesn't fall off the edge. I could just imagine what it would cost to fix.

Luck had nothing to do with it. I paid my dues for 20 plus years and deserve those bad boys. My eyes need a break from the 2- 24" CRT's I have now. It's also a tax write off for me and I will get my desk space back. :)

I will post some pictures of my setup when and if I get them. Waiting for my taxes to be done to see if I can afford them.

Happy Holidays!
    UK Guy

From;
    Cadkiller