Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MarvinK9

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2014
If someone wants to take advantage of it and it provides them with something, then it's all good.

No, it's not. Sometimes it leads to real harm.
(Not unlike how Mr. Jobs pursued "alternative" treatments for his cancer at first, instead of just going with conventional "real" treatments. Who knows what might have happened if he didn't waste that time?).

I note that you mentioned "if they are doing it as some sort of a cure for something or as some sort of a medical thing, that's one thing, if they are doing it along the lines of massages and just general working out in a gym, then it's not really that much different."
But that is exactly what acupuncture is advertised as, a medical treatment. Relaxation has real benefits - but people usually don't get acupuncture just to relax. Pretending an ineffective treatment is effective is ultimately harmful. Even if you aren't using it to treat a serious illness, it legitimizes the quack treatment for others that may be in a more dire situation. It's just plain stupid.

http://whatstheharm.net/acupuncture.html

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
No, it's not. Sometimes it leads to real harm.
(Not unlike how Mr. Jobs pursued "alternative" treatments for his cancer at first, instead of just going with conventional "real" treatments. Who knows what might have happened if he didn't waste that time?).

I note that you mentioned "if they are doing it as some sort of a cure for something or as some sort of a medical thing, that's one thing, if they are doing it along the lines of massages and just general working out in a gym, then it's not really that much different."
But that is exactly what acupuncture is advertised as, a medical treatment. Relaxation has real benefits - but people usually don't get acupuncture just to relax. Pretending an ineffective treatment is effective is ultimately harmful. Even if you aren't using it to treat a serious illness, it legitimizes the quack treatment for others that may be in a more dire situation. It's just plain stupid.

http://whatstheharm.net/acupuncture.html
Massage can and sometimes is also advertised as a cure for things, but that doesn't mean it's bad to have that available somewhere. What if acupuncture helps someone to relax in some way, or something else of that nature? Again, there are ways to take almost anything to an extreme, but it doesn't mean that everyone uses it all like that and that other more conventional/limited uses of something can't be worthwhile for someone.

Anyway, somewhat more of an off-topic topic at this point.

Marshall73

macrumors 68030
Apr 20, 2015
All of this makes me want to move to California and work for them. Too bad the cheapest houses over there cost over $600,000. I'll never be able to afford that.

But I believe there is more money to be made by being a 3rd-party developer than just have a regular salary working in the Apple ecosystem.
But this is about Austin in Texas.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.