Apple's new digital lifestyle device

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by 3rdpath, Apr 30, 2002.

1. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    over at MOSR there's this little blurb mentioned between the coming ibook and airport updates.

any idea as to what this puppy's gonna be?

2. teabgs macrumors 68030

teabgs

Could be a device similar to the iPod only instead of music its for movies/photo slide shows. You can bring files onto it from iMovie(or FCP) and show them/work on them? anywhere...

3. mmmdreg macrumors 65816

mmmdreg

I'd say a camera of some sort if it ever does come out...

4. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

Set Top Box

We have heard rumors of set top box from Apple but it seems unlikely. A camera does not make sense thier are way to many good cameras out there, they would have to slap thier name on some awsome Sony camera, very unlikely. Tablet PCs are always on option but I hate to add to iWalk rumors. Who knows it will probably be something unexpected.

5. 3rdpath thread starter macrumors 68000

3rdpath

i wonder

apple has the music and photo/film areas covered pretty well right now, i wonder if this is going to be related to a TIVO type product.

i remember they purchased a set-top tech company a while back( its on a thread here somewhere...)

can you imagine a new ti book as the center of your home ent center with the bott/adapter running to a 23" screen on your wall? better still, whens apple coming out with a plasma screen?:D

6. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

How bout a portable firewire tivo type device that lets you take unwatched programming from your Apple tivo thingy and transfer it into a 10 gig drived portable with a little screen (like the portable DVD players).

Put a cigarette adapter and a video out for a car screen, and you've got yourself a good alternative for long road trips.

7. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Add QT6 and mpeg-4 compression and on a 10Gig drive you could record plenty of video from you television, replay it on your Mac. This would be huge.

8. 3rdpath thread starter macrumors 68000

3rdpath

ipod?

is there any way to make the ipod(since its 10gigs) work in the equation? probably not feasible but its a thought...:)

9. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

Just to press a few buttons:

iBook rebuild without keyboard.

Like a giant, full featured Newton running OS X. Keyboard available as a second dock. Bluetooth to optional set-top box and integral Airport.

The first goof to use the P word gets a Pie and a Ding-Dong Wedgie.:eek:

10. tokyotintin macrumors newbie

New digital devices in Japan

Some ideas about what might be cooking in Apple's digital device laboratory can be found while perusing Japanese web sites.
    These links show a couple of digital devices already on the market here in Japan. The Panasonic Snap-D is an ultra-compact audio/photo/video-recorder with MPEG-4 recorded on SD-memory (now available in a 512 MB-version). The Sharp MT AV-1 is a portable video player, using only electronic memory, allowing you to "tape" TV or video and bring it with you. Both of these devices would be even cooler with some Apple touches.

(Both sites in Japanese)

http://www.panasonic.co.jp/products/dvc/DIGICAM/av10/4_top.html

http://www.sharp.co.jp/products/mtav1/index.html

11. TiMacLover macrumors 6502

As loyal as I am I Think Apple is getting in over its head, they are shifting to the dark side, they are trying to say heyyour with us or your against us. The iPod was a little out of league, eMac is good, they are at a ok state now, but home entertainment and PDA's? That is getting too .netty.

12. teabgs macrumors 68030

teabgs

I disagree. First of all more people will buy Apple if/when these products are out. They are fun and most important to consumers "cool".

How is home entertainment "out of their league"? Apple's been all about creativity and all, which includes entertainment. People like to enjoy themselves. If they cant enjoy themselves, they wont buy the product.

I think you just have the new technology jitters...

13. 3rdpath thread starter macrumors 68000

3rdpath

Mac= home entertainment system

judging by the amount of time i've spent on-line lately( mostly here), my mac is my home entertainment system....

here i can control the content, enjoy minimal advertising, scan a virtually unlimited number of channels.... and its interactive.

now if apple can do that to regular tv:)

14. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

at the risk of incurring eyelikeart's wrath, now is the time for a PDA. the market is almost dead in its tracks, I havent seen anything new or worthwhile come out in about 6 months. PalmOS doesnt offer enough, and PocketPC 2002 just sucks. Sounds about ripe for an iPod-like introduction, because I felt the same way about MP3 players right before the iPod came out.