Apple's New iOS 6 Maps App Drawing Significant Criticism

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 20, 2012.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

One of the largest changes in iOS 6 is Apple's decision to replace its Google-powered Maps app with its own solution powered by a combination of its own work and data licensed from other companies such as TomTom. Throughout the developer beta testing process, numerous users reported on the relatively poor quality of Apple's new maps in many regards, while expressing hope that content would improve heading into the public launch.

Despite some improvements over the past few months, Apple's new Maps app has still been one of the most highly criticized aspects of iOS 6 following its debut yesterday. Users have pointed to inaccuracies in Apple's mapping data, errors in locating points of interest, a lack of transit information, and sometimes-bizarre 3D mapping imagery as major issues with the app.

[​IMG]

Apple's 3D modeling of the Brooklyn Bridge (Source: @fromedome)
    BBC News takes a look at the reception Apple's Maps app is receiving in the United Kingdom, documenting a few of the specific problems reported by its readers:
    In one high-visibility case from Ireland, Apple has categorized Dublin's Airfield Park as an actual airport, sparking government officials to contact the company in hopes of addressing the issue.

[​IMG]

Dublin's Airfield Park categorized as an airport
    While Apple has been working on its in-house mapping efforts for a number of years as evidenced by a series of acquisitions of small companies working in the market, Google's mapping services have been live for over seven years, allowing the company to build up massive amounts of data and expertise. Consequently, it should come as no surprise that Apple's mapping solutions are not as refined as Google's in many cases, but users have generally been hoping for more from Apple's public launch.

Article Link: Apple's New iOS 6 Maps App Drawing Significant Criticism

2. Feed Me, Sep 20, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2012

macrumors 6502a

Feed Me

At least it'll get better.

I hope.
    After reporting several misspelt place names to Apple months ago during the betas and getting completely ignored, my hopes aren't high for fast fixes.

EDIT: Two links you may find worth perusing. Apple's aren't the only maps with er... imperfections.

http://googlemapsfail.tumblr.com
    and
    http://theamazingios6maps.tumblr.com

3. macrumors regular

Wow. Everyone is criticising an app they didn't use much before iOS 6...

4. macrumors 65816

Apparently I live in Duncaster. I object to the lack of spell checking. The satellite map quality is...poor, but I can understand that. Spelling a town's name wrong is just sloppy.

In fairness it can't get much worse can it? ;-)

Passbook? Totally - the connection issues are probably excess demand. INaccurate mapping is a totally different issue though.

5. macrumors G3

charlituna

everyone and their uncle bogs up the systems yesterday trying to get iOS 6 on the first day, then turns around and tries out Passbook, Maps etc and wonders why things are messed up. couldn't possibly be due to the vastly increased traffic. nope, no way

6. macrumors 6502

7. macrumors regular

I agree that the new maps app kinda sucks. It couldn't even find my local hospital.

8. macrumors 6502

But it will definitely take a while. I'm just waiting for a Google maps app to come out to be honest, Apple is unlikely ever going to catch up.

9. Moderator emeritus

Hellhammer

Apple should just leave some things to Google.

10. macrumors 65816

Caliber26

I love all of my Apple products and services. I really do. But taking Google Maps away from us (ESPECIALLY MY STREET VIEW!!!), was a big, big mistake since they are obviously not ready for prime time.

And those 3D/Flyover images are ****** scary. It's like I took a good dose of mescaline and now I'm having horrible hacullinations.

11. macrumors 65816

iSamurai

12. macrumors 68000

I was hoping for more, too. Apple should have the resources to provide high-quality maps on its mobile devices, especially for places that aren't out of the way. Unfortunately, this isn't a matter of correcting s/w bugs - it's all about the mapping data they're using.

13. macrumors 6502a

BMcCoy

14. macrumors 65816

I sympathize with those having problems, but Apple Maps have been great for me! I can't tell a difference between them and GMaps. Except Apple Maps is better looking! (again for ME and MY situation).

15. macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

It's a shame they went ahead with introducing this when it clearly isn't ready. Too stubborn to stick with Google any longer than they wanted to.

16. macrumors regular

As soon as native Google maps is available I'll be happy Apple is throwing their hat into the maps game. But for now I can't rely upon an app that can't find east 12th street in freaking Manhattan...

17. macrumors 68020

gmanist1000

Apple has over 100 billion dollars. Why don't they just buy Google Maps and overlay their UI on top of it? Why buy mapping data that is years old?

18. macrumors 6502

The maps issues have nothing at all to do with too many people trying to use them.

19. macrumors 65816

I used it a lot in Geocaching but now it is useless - my hometown has even the cathedral missing ...

20. macrumors 6502a

My house isn't even listed. How will I ever get home? :(

21. macrumors member

I haven't had any issues with this app, but I'm sure Maps is one of those things that can be a great experience for one person, and a buggy nightmare for another. The logistics of mapping the world and all the data that's required for turn-by-turn GPS, I'm not surprised the service isn't perfect. We expect polished products from Apple, but I'm guessing this one is just going to take time given the scale and variables related to the project.

22. macrumors regular

That pic looks like viewing the bridge on shrooms. Awful.

23. macrumors 6502

And you know that how?

I love Apple as much as most people on here - but this is extremely poor by them.

24. macrumors member

It is truly appalling and damages the brand. Not that it will particularly make any difference to sales, but it's just not the quality that I think most have to expect from an Apple product.

25. macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

Because Google Maps isn't for sale?

Posts like this make me shake my head.