Apple's new ipod

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by macboy, Feb 17, 2002.

1. macboy macrumors regular

Apr 18, 2001
    I was talking to a local apple representative and he was saying that apple is working on a handheld that will play mp3s using iTunes to transfer plus will use QuickTime to transfer video. The screen will be colour and more adavanced then the current ipod screen. When music is playing, you can set it to have the iTunes visualizer.

He said this should be coming out this year. There will be two version of iPod. The current cheaper version and the expensive, 'dual' ipod, that does both video and music.

When I asked about a PDA he said apple is working on a phone that will have the features of the PDA in it.

He has been pretty good with his 'inside' scoop and been pretty acurate. Every time new computers are launched, he always seems to know the processor speeds. When the G4 1GHz came out he told me the week before that apple is going to release a 1 GHz Dual G4. and then the week after, it was out! Same thing with the new iMac. He said it was going to be new, running 800MHz with superdrive & G4 chip in it.

He always has some inside info that he likes to share when i go to see him!
  2. groucho macrumors newbie

Jan 26, 2002
    that's quite interesting, i hope it's true...i don't know about the iphone though. it seems a bit improbable (even if points to apples website)
  3. Timothy macrumors 6502

Jan 2, 2002
    Seattle, WA

Anyone can register a domain and point it to another domain. If Apple were doing the redirection of "" then the URL would change to an apple URL after the redirection.
  4. arn macrumors god

Staff Member

Apr 9, 2001
  5. Ensign Paris macrumors 68000

Ensign Paris

Nov 4, 2001
    Net Rules should prohibit apple using iphone.

6. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Jan 9, 2002
    Ha ha haaa!
    Why's that?
  7. krossfyter macrumors 601

Jan 13, 2002
    secret city
    well i hope its true also.

being that the new dual apple iPod and the new apple pda will round out steve jobs vision of the "digital hub"...makes sense and will clear a lot of that confusion.
  8. mymemory macrumors 68020

May 9, 2001
    Does your friend at the store know when Fidel Castro is gonna die and when the war is gonna be over?
  9. Hlau macrumors member

Feb 16, 2002
    I'm not sure if a video-playing iPod would be a good idea. No matter how advanced the screen is, it would still be too small for playing videos, it would be a waste. Portable video players don't sell that well anyway; watching videos take time and attention, something people on the move don't usually have. What iPod really needs is a well designed remote, it would be one hell of a design job though. It'll probably need a screen, it'll have to have controls that let us go through the menus like we do on the iPod itself and it has to be really small. Apple should also bring out iPods with different colour and with an option for a more durable casing.
  10. macfreek57 macrumors 6502

Jan 1, 2002
    Baton Rouge, Louisiana
    i'm just waiting for apple to start making tv's, dvd players, portable dvd players, vcr's, printers (again), GOOD,CHEAP speakers, better mice (mouses?), cell phones, pda's, alarm clocks, telephones, usb and network hubs, and stereo systems so that all the electronics in my house can be apple.
  11. Ensign Paris macrumors 68000

Ensign Paris

Nov 4, 2001
    .org is for orgernisations (non-profit) I think its NetSol who clean out companys who should not have it.

12. stoid macrumors 601

Feb 17, 2002
    So long, and thanks for all the fish!

What the iPod really needs is to be able to buy a back-up battery. Right now you have to break the thing open to get at the battery. I know 10 hours of battery life is really long, but I won't buy it yet because sometimes I go on long rips where I can't recharge my battery. If I just use my mp3 CD player, I can just pop in a fresh set of batteries. I know I have to take the CD's with me and it's a bit of a hassle, if I run out of battery life I can't listen to music at all, and then it's totally useless. And I know that big steps have been taken in rechargeable batteries, but eventually with all the charging, the battery will stop working, just like all the other rechargable devices I own. Then I have to either send it away to apple along with gobs of money to get it fixed. Maybe by then though I could just get this iPod 2. Anyway, nice product apple, but lame choice with the battery.
  13. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

That would be really cool, but it would be a strain on battery life.
  14. irmongoose macrumors 68030

Dec 3, 2001
    Sometimes Tokyo, sometimes California
    damn.. i just bought an iPod... hey, but what the hey! All I need is music.. I dont have much use for quicktime movies...

15. macboy thread starter macrumors regular

Apr 18, 2001
    My guess is that using QuickTime 6 you'll be able to transfer DVDs & full length movies....
  16. krossfyter macrumors 601

Jan 13, 2002
    secret city

heh! kinda sounds like an oracle right? a soothsayer. the macsoothsayer. dig it.
  17. moby1 macrumors 6502

Jan 28, 2002
    Sunny San Diego
    There is something here...

There is something to this 'video jukebox' idea.

When I was playing with the new iMac at an Apple Store (still waiting for mine, grrrr), I thought 'what's next'?
    Well, iTunes/iPod provides an integrated system for enjoying audio, made so popular by the MP3 format.
    Now, people are beginning to DL movies and flash animations and build their own movies with iMovie and iDVD.
    What's missing is something like iPhoto to organize all these movies. Consumer HD's are becoming huge because folks are filling them with multimedia files. It will soon become a priority to organize all these files.
    As for the size, well I was amazed at how many people DL'd a few small 300 x 200 QT movies I made - they were very popular!
    Of course we'll need a very large FW HD so I'm not sure how soon we'll see an iAppliance for this but an iApp may be on it's way.
  18. Taft macrumors 65816

Jan 31, 2002
  19. AmbitiousLemon Moderator emeritus

Nov 28, 2001
    down in Fraggle Rock
    Re: Re: Battery

thats a pretty nice vendor... website needs some serious work, but they have some neat stuff there. thanks for the link kid.
  20. Xapplimatic macrumors 6502

Oct 23, 2001
    New iPod? I hope so.

It would be great if it's true.. I was planning on picking up an iPod this summer.. if there is a color one with a visualizer and quicktime video, all the better!
  21. rugby macrumors regular

Feb 21, 2002
    I for one would like to have an iPod/pda/cell phone so i would be able to ditch 2 of the 3 things I have hanging from my belt. I hate carrying stuff around, I feel like Batman with my pager, keycard, ipod, cell, and palm pulling my pants down. I had to invest in a belt to hold all this stuff up.
  22. SPG macrumors 65816

Jul 24, 2001
    In the shadow of the Space Needle.
    hmmm, a way to carry video around on an iPod? I use my iPod to carry around movie clips I've made all the time...just drag and drop the quicktime file while in disc mode, then plug it into anyone's mac with firewire and play 'em back on quicktime right off the ipod. Full res 720x480 29.97fps DV without dropping frames...not bad.
    Battery? I have my ipod playing for 10 hours a day continuosly and I still haven't run it out. Comes with a wall charger, and you can buy a car charger. I don't really think there are too many times you'd need more than that. Even on a 10 hour or 16 hour flight you wouldn't run the battery out since it wouldn't be on the entire time.
    If you can afford one and you can use it, buy it, you'll love it. I don't regret buying mine at all.
  23. evildead macrumors 65816

Jun 18, 2001
    WestCost, USA

Dam! ... and I just got a new phone. I wonder what kind of services and who will provide for Apples phone. That is if they make one.
  24. Digidesign macrumors 6502

Jan 7, 2002
    I agree with Rugby, I don't have enough pockets to hold everything! But, there'd have to be some serious restructuring of the market/protocols before Apple came out with an all-in-one.

All I know is that I love my iPod! Took it on a road trip this weekend - lasted 6+ hours continuous play, with the backlight always on, and with me fiddling with the tracks/settings. Stores all the songs I want with room for the ones I have yet to hear. This is hands down my favorite Apple product of all time. :D
  25. oldMac macrumors 6502a

Oct 25, 2001
    Car Adaptors - RECANT!!! (troll)

Hey dude,

Just because you live in the US doesn't mean that everybody can expect to take long trips by car. That's the typical american's answer to everything. I'll just go jump in my car.

Well, hey man, this is the internet and we don't all live by american "rules". We have superior and more earth-friendly inventions like the locomotive, the bicycle and the rickshaw.

So, I am now calling upon you american snobs, to rise above you silly notions of "personal mobility" and recognize that the rest of the world is older and wiser than your fledgling, 200-year-old "culture".

Now, I demand that you immediately recant your americentric "car adaptor" viewpoint and substitute something more euro-asian friendly. Or, should a solution not present itself, please couple your suggestion with something more global, such as "wind up generator", "solar panel", or (for our Heineken-drinking friends) "portable windmill".

So Recant, D*MN YOU, RECANT!!!

(tip: For extended euro-friendliness, please learn french. Not because the French can't speak English, but just because it's more polite.)