Apple's new iTunes version branded a lemon

Discussion in 'MacBytes.com News Discussion' started by MacBytes, Sep 14, 2006.

1. macrumors bot

[​IMG]

Category: Apple Software
    Link: Apple's new iTunes version branded a lemon
    Description:: A steady flow of complaints about bugs in the latest version of iTunes are popping up on Apple's discussion boards, with numerous forum posts reporting poor sound quality and skipping tracks.

Posted on MacBytes.com
    Approved by Mudbug

2. macrumors 6502

Lol!

"I connected my iPod to my laptop just now (with manual management turned on, so it doesn't automatically change my settings or music), and suddenly all of my iTunes Music Store purchases vanished," writes blogger, Wil Wheaton.

Wesley Crusher is having problems with iTunes 7

/works fine for me

3. Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

http://wilwheaton.typepad.com/

It is funny he's now better known for his blog than his acting or even voice work in animation.

I'm having trouble with it on my PC, but not (so far on my iMac).

B

4. macrumors 68000

steve_hill4

Crashed once within the first hour, (Mac), reopened immediately and seems to have been fine since.

I still expect an early update, it's too radical a change for it to work perfectly first time.

5. macrumors G4

iTunes 7 is a real processor hog. It uses up over 50% of CPU time just doing playback on my 1.9GHz G5. If I set it importing a CD I only get around 4x import speed before it takes all available CPU time, which is just painful. I used to get 10x-17x with iTunes 6 on the same machine.

Not good at all :mad:

6. macrumors 603

quagmire

Converting videos is taking longer for me as well. With iTunes 6 it took 30-45 minutes to convert a 25 minute video for my iPod. Now it is taking 2 hours so far. It is still working on the 1st video.

7. Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

The speed and memory issues you all are reporting as well as my video issues with iTunes 7 are all attributable to QT 7.1.3, not iTunes. Something's quite broken with it...

Wil and others' problems with missing files are somethign altogether different.

B

8. macrumors G5

nagromme

I thought the change in the scrollbars was odd (hopefully they will settle down and stick with ONE metal theme for Leopard!) but I have had no problems otherwise.

9. macrumors 68000

spicyapple

The experiences seem to be all over the map. I've had zero problems with the upgrade. In fact, iTunes now seems to run faster and has better playback sound quality. It's been a very smooth upgrade.

10. macrumors 68030

benthewraith

Just listened to it in iTunes, music sounds different, sort of like what Real Player does. I don't think I like that...:(

Dirty Little Secret sounds very different (the beginning).

11. macrumors 65816

iJawn108

AHAHAHAHAHA Glad I'm not the only super nerd. ;)

12. macrumors 68040

trainguy77

Works great for me!

13. macrumors regular

grizzlybrice

he's still in exile? man, that guy's gotta get in gear. He's gotta get WWdN up and running again!

14. macrumors 6502a

amin

So far so good on the Powerbook, Mac Pro, and two Windows machines. However, after installing on the Core 2 Duo iMac, I got a kernel panic :(.

15. macrumors regular

I installed it on my work PC and PMG5, no problems other than not being able to download all album covers.

Of course, after I post this and go back into iTunes, I am able to get most of the album art that I couldn't previously, but still not all of it. Dave Matthews album's for some reason won't pull down the album art.

16. macrumors 65816

Foxglove9

Ha, that is pretty funny. I had to work with him briefly on a poster for a film he was in a few years ago. He seemed like a nice guy.

17. macrumors 603

solvs

On my Mom's brand new Mac mini it keeps saying it won't start because it's out of memory or something. Works fine on all of my machines. Mac and PC.

18. macrumors 6502a

Lollypop

I haven't used it really extensively, but I haven't got any issues, but what is to be expected? iTunes 7 looks like a major revision, bugs are to be expected.

19. macrumors 6502

chatin

I ordered my first movie flightplan from the movie store and I thought something was wrong with my purchase because I didn't see anything happening.

Turns out after it says you've purchased a movie, look at your download playlist. There's a circle turning.

When I double clicked the sound started but nothing on the screen. (I have "premium" broadband, so I knew that wasn't the problem.

I missed a good 5 minutes of the movie fiddling with key combinations to no avail. The key to making it visible where the + and - (I think) in the lower left play area.

But, overall I'm glad I got the mac pro because Core 2 CPU power is what new software is being optimized for.

20. Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

On my Dual 2GHz G5, it consistently uses only ~3% CPU for playback. And I have not experienced any "lemon" moments.

21. macrumors 6502a

AtHomeBoy_2000

I thin that is that case with most computers. The PC version is flawed. both macs I have run it just fine.

22. Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Actually my problems on the PC have largely cleared up after I removed and reinstalled QT from the standalone installer. I can now once again play videos with it. ;)

There have been a number of issues reported here from folks who only have Macs. :(

B

23. macrumors 65816

stagi

works perfect for me

updated my G5 and my mac book pro and they both work perfect. I love it over iTunes 6

24. macrumors 68040

plinden

I haven't had any problems on my rev A 17" Core Duo iMac - playing back now, iTunes is using 7-10% CPU. No crashes since I installed it.

I installed it on my work PC but I haven't rebooted yet so can't comment on PC performance.

25. macrumors 603

OutThere

Downloading songs from the iTMS hogs 100% of my CPU ungracefully (other applications hang/stutter/crash) for the entire downloading process. Joy.