Apple's new products are revolutionary in their own way

Discussion in 'MacBytes.com News Discussion' started by MacBytes, Jan 25, 2005.

1. macrumors bot

2. 24C
    macrumors 6502a

What unusual comments from a M$NBC...bit shallow, but not negative.
    There is a reason why Apple Lossless is not recommended/"supported" for a iPod shuffle...number of songs available perhaps...Last time I used it my CD's were a third of the size, so I'd get about 22 songs on the 512 model

3. macrumors newbie

CallMeCookie

I thought he wrote up a nice review not very detailed but he was very enthousiastic about the products.

4. macrumors 6502a

iJaz

Absolutely not what I expected from M$NBC. I guess it was shallow just because he doesn't receive test products, thet's why it's even more surprising that he was so positive.
    "I’m very excited about both these products. I think they’re both significant additions and signal that Apple is moving in the right direction."
    It really seems like the PC world is waking up!

5. macrumors 6502

The two things I really noticed in this article were:

1) As others have mentioned, it's pretty remarkable that someone from MSN could be so positive about Apple products. He really had nothing negative to say.

2) More importantly, he raved about the video card, whereas long-time Mac users everywhere are criticizing it. I think this just goes to show that even in its bargain-basement machine, Apple is able to blow away what Windows people are used to getting.

6. macrumors 6502a

Brize

Anyone else notice that the article was 'sponsored by Dell'? :D

7. macrumors member

It's nice to see PC magazines rave about new apple procucts and articles like this one on MSNBC. Hopefuly it will open the eyes of a few disgruntled windows users to the wonderful world of OS X. Mac sites and publications, although interesting and a great source of info aren't really helping those who are not tech savvy switch to or become aware of new Apple products.

8. macrumors 68020

mainstreetmark

Every one of these reviewers seems to like the "Shuffle" feature. It just never jumped out as some brand new thing, to me. No LCD, but you CAN do this thing we call "shuffle" your songs. Certainly, all the players out there do this as well?

9. macrumors 603

SiliconAddict

Not really. MSNBC generally praises most Apple products so this isn't new. And as for waking up. People all along have wanted to like Apple's products if they were affordable. The mini’s most alluring feature is its price. Size comes in a close second.

10. macrumors 603

SiliconAddict

Its all about Steve's RDF. Marketing plain and simple. Shuffle isn't new. The size of the player isn't new. Price point? OK its pretty damn competitive.
    Its Apple doing their thang again. That's all.

11. macrumors G5

nagromme

Judging by your avatar ;) you, like me, are not new to this stuff. We're impressed by more technical-sounding things!

But the Shuffle is not being primarily marketed to you and I. Many people are VERY impressed by being able to shuffle a big set of songs. That's true on any player, but it's still the feature that makes people play with my iPod and want one for themselves!

It's good marketing that tells people why they would WANT a music player.

The alternative, telling people who ALREADY want a music player why they should choose an iPod, would be wasted marketing. That's preaching to the choir--people already like the iPod brand.

12. macrumors member

He Just Wanted Free Apple Stuff

He's just hurt because Apple stopped sending him free stuff to review. He figured he'd write a glowing article about their stuff, mention at one point that he was upset because he no longer received their 'terrific' products to review, and there you go: a 5G iPod, free in the mail in 6-8 weeks. I wish I was a tech journalist....

13. macrumors 65816

stcanard

The marketing behind it is that every time the potential customer says "shuffle" it's a reminder of why they don't need the LCD. Drive the "shuffle" idea into their heads and the LCD becomes a non-issue to them.

If they'd called it the "LCD-less iPod" then they would have had a problem. The name is designed to remove that stigma.

14. macrumors 6502a

Reality is that a vast majority of PC users don't know or care about video cards. They look at price first.