Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Brief bullets of what's happening with the announcement of Apple's new digital device gathered from a variety of sources:
  • Jobs reviews Apple's "digital hub" concept announced in January. Speaks of the Mac as the focal point of one's digital lifestyle.
  • Jobs mentions early November as ship time for iDVD2
  • (from macminute): Apple introduces iPod, a digital audio player (MP3, MP2, more) with a 5GB hard drive (1000 songs). 20 minute skip protection. FireWire-equipped, first such music player. 10 hour battery, lithium-polymar ("most advanced battery; more advanced than laptop batteries"), takes 1 hour to charge. Size of a deck of cards: 2.4" wide, 4" tall, 3/4" thick.
  • (from macminute): Backlit LCD display, playlist support, ID3 tag support, very fast and easy to go through list of songs and playlist with a scroll wheel. Interfaces with iTunes.
  • iTunes 2 coming in November
  • iPod will ship November 10
  • iPod price = $399 (see it at the Apple Store)
Here's a link to Apple's iPod product page. It's worth nothing that this device doubles as a 5GB portable firewire HD for moving files here and there. While there are larger capacity, HD-based, portable MP3 players out there--all of them are larger than the iPod (significantly so). The iPod seems to hit a 'sweet spot' between size and storage capacity, while offering impressive battery life. $399 is a touch higher than many would anticipate, it seems.

Article Link: Apple's New Thing (iPod)

Reactions: Clocksetbyfeel

Newton-Man

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2001
Scammonden, UK
MacMinute

If you goto MacMinute.com they have running news on whats going on.

Does anybody know if you can see they anywhere else??

Thanks.
Guy Wickenden

S

SweetRevenge

I TOLD YOU SO!

HAH!

All you wusses waiting for a Newton replacement I TOLD YOU SO IT WAS A MEDIA PLAYER CHARGED BY FIREWIRE.

BOOO YAAAAHH!

AHAHAHAHAHAHHAH~!

Diamondbacks kick ASS too!

AhHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA!

I TOLD YOU SO! I TOLD YOU SO! I TOLD YOU SO!I TOLD YOU SO! I TOLD YOU SO! I TOLD YOU SO! I TOLD YOU SO! I TOLD YOU SO! I TOLD YOU SO! I TOLD YOU SO! I TOLD YOU SO! I TOLD YOU SO! I TOLD YOU SO!

Newton-Man

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2001
Scammonden, UK
Not meaning to be personal

SweetRenenge you are an idiot, no a prat, no a word has yet to be invented.

The speech is not yet over. iTunes 2 has just been announced. It looks really cool

Thanks,
Guy Wickenden

WeezerX80

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2001
Canada
This isn't revoltionary!

I still can't believe this! All this hype for something so ridiculous! Who cares about an MP3 player? I want something new! I want them to think differently!
Why oh why would they do this?! It's so wrong! It's so stupid!

T

tatnasty

$399.00 - Ouch!!!

OH NO! Just checked Apple Store - they want $399.00 for this thing...Ouch!!!

elitemacor

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2001
iCan't believe it!

It's now at the online Apple Store!

$400 for an Mp3 Player!

I'd call it the Cube 2.0 as it wont sell, and be killed off in a short time...and it's not really functional.

Uuhh Steve, can I have a PDA now?

[Edited by elitemacor on 10-23-2001 at 02:33 PM]

J

Joseph

It is also a Firewire drive that can be used for any purpose - not just an mp3 player.

I like it. Seems pricey though.

Traveler

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2001
DC
You're all a bunch of loony bitches

We live in the YEAR 2001... not 6000 years from now when ridiculously awsome technology will exist. No other mp3 player has a harddrive like this... 5gigs... **** yeah. A rio of the same size offers 64megs. Jesum Crow, get over your moping.. .this is revolutionary.... plus it's just the beggining. This device litterally bests anything on the market by about 100x

T

tatnasty

please steve, just One more thing...

I pray steve has saved one last new thing to pull out ala steve right at the end...

dhdave

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2001
NJ
It never ceases to amaze me.

No matter what Apple does there are always people who are NEVER happy. Give it a rest. It's a great idea and the first of many. Why don't you give it a chance. It's price point isn't half bad either. At $399 I would much rather have an ipod than say, an xbox. (no, I am not comparing the two, just the $399 discretionary spending price point).

dh

Reactions: OriginalClone

greatm31

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2001
not that dissapointing

The reason why everyone's dissapointed is because we had our hopes up for this incredible device that would do everything you could possibly use the word "digital" in and most of the things you can't. The truth is that is really is revolutionary. 5 gigs? Where do you see 5 gigs in an Mp3 player?
If Apple had gone with something completely and utterly new, it would probably go down the hole that the cube and the newton went down... they were ahead of their time, and suffered because of it. Apple can't have another disaster like the Cube, so they decided to stay just a bit ahead of the game. As long as apple markets it effectively, I think it's gonna do really well.
The product really looks great, give it a chance guys!

elitemacor

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2001
Sorry I'm just venting....

Steve Jobs: "Isn't this cool? It's never been this fast or this easy before."

Me: Uhh, no!

SPG

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2001
In the shadow of the Space Needle.
Nice, but pricey.

Sure the iPod is cool, and hell yeah I'd love to have one, but only for half the asking price of $399. Here's the questions though...
If this is also a 5gb HD, can it be used as a quicktime player for video in any other way?
Is the software that runs it upgradeable to add features later on?
If the ipod is only the world's most baddass MP3 player then I don't know if I'm really going to stand in line to buy it, I have a cd walkman and a burner already, and besides that now that I don't have a dotcom job anymore I need that $400 to pay car payments and rent.
Steve, bring down the price or add video to it and I'll eat TopRamen for a month to afford one.

D

dave

I really wanted to like it. Really. But do the math:

20GB hard drive: $199 from APS tech.

MP3 player: $50 from Best Buy.

You save $150 plus get an extra 15 Gig of storage!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.