Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

freepomme

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 30, 2015
Boston, MA
Basically apps just pop up at the bottom of the screen. It slows down the phone and it's never an app that has anything to do with what you're doing at the time. It just sits there like an ad.

And why do they call it Siri suggestions. Siri is not doing anything. If you ask her about it, she doesn't know what you're talking about. ¯\(°_O)/¯

I want to get rid of it.

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
I agree with half of this post; although I don't experience any slowdown on my iOS device, I too don't understand why it's called "Siri Suggestions". I don't know what context "Siri" uses to suggest apps and often find the apps there are just ones I use frequently and some random ones.

Overall, the feature it a wash for me.

Reactions: freepomme

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
I agree with half of this post; although I don't experience any slowdown on my iOS device, I too don't understand why it's called "Siri Suggestions". I don't know what context "Siri" uses to suggest apps and often find the apps there are just ones I use frequently and some random ones.

Overall, the feature it a wash for me.

I listen to podcasts every day when I leave work at 5pm. Around that time the podcasts app shows up on my lock screen. It "learns" your habits and makes suggestions based on usage patterns (not necessarily frequency). Some weeks/days I'll listen to spotify and it will suggest that app instead.

There is additional code that will trigger apps based on your location. Every time I pass by a Target or Starbucks it suggests those two apps.

What I"m curious about is if "frequent locations" in system services is also used to determine the app and I know how people here LOVE to turn off every location service. I keep everything on.
[doublepost=1479767971][/doublepost]
Basically apps just pop up at the bottom of the screen. It slows down the phone and it's never an app that has anything to do with what you're doing at the time. It just sits there like an ad.

And why do they call it Siri suggestions. Siri is not doing anything. If you ask her about it, she doesn't know what you're talking about. ¯\(°_O)/¯

I want to get rid of it.

Apple uses "Siri" to describe artificial intelligence in iOS. The portion of iOs that tries to "learn" your usage habits and make suggestions.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011

I want to get rid of it.
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/annoyed-at-siri-app-suggestions.2003382/

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/how-do-i-disable-suggested-apps-based-on-location.1994181/

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/are-suggested-apps-gone-in-ios-10.2001992/

Last edited:

mpavilion

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2014
SFV, CA, USA
It gives me good "suggestions" (podcast app when I plug into the car; Twitter at home) – but it's really tricky to pull up on the little icon and launch the app. After trying three or four times, I find it would have been quicker to just unlock the phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.