Apple's Nokia Deal Could Cost Android Manufacturers Too

Discussion in ' News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 14, 2011.

1. macrumors bot

Apr 12, 2001

Apple's patent licensing deal with Nokia may have some additional consequences beyond the immediate effects of the settlement. By agreeing to a long-term licensing agreement with Nokia, Apple gets a lengthly, defensive legal fight out of the way. This allows Apple to focus all its legal energies on major battles with Samsung, HTC and Motorola.

Speaking with the NYTimes, Apple indicates that the settlement is actually a cross-licensing one:
    There a larger, much more strategic victory here as well. By agreeing to pay royalties for Nokia's patents, Apple has set a market price -- and given Nokia's patents serious legitimacy. Apple wouldn't pay anything if they didn't have to, and other companies may not want to fight over turf Apple has already acquiesced to Nokia.

Other companies, notably Android handset manufacturers, may now have to play ball with Nokia on these patents -- and they don't necessarily have the margins to send 1% of gross revenues to Nokia as easily as Apple can. In fact, because Apple has so many of its own patents (some of which it cross-licensed to Nokia) other manufacturers may have to pay even more for the same licenses.

Florian Mueller has suggested just that at FOSS Patents:
    Apple pays off Nokia, but exposes the competition as well. Competition that doesn't have as much money or intellectual property to barter with.

(Photo by Acaben/Flickr)

Article Link: Apple's Nokia Deal Could Cost Android Manufacturers Too
  2. parapup, Jun 14, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2011

macrumors 65816

Oct 31, 2006
    If Florian Mueller said something there is a good chance it is some baseless, inflammable, not-real thing that has great likelihood of not happening.

Moving right along.

[ Apple and their followers are like insecure kids - if they get beat up, instead of either accepting or responding they drag that other cool kid in it for no reason but to feel better - look tomorrow that other kid might get beat too - then I will be vindicated.]
  3. macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Oct 9, 2006
    nice headline grabbing BS by our media. It is safe to bet that the other manufactures were already paying the for the patents. I know LG, HTC, Samsung, Motorola, and Blackberry already have an agreement with them and most of them have patents sharing with Nokia.

I love the piss poor reporting the media does.
  4. Moderator emeritus

Dec 10, 2008
    Amen to this. Other OEMs have been making phones way before Apple even came up with the idea of iPhone. They have already settled with Nokia and are paying the license fees, so why would this hurt Android?
  5. macrumors regular

Feb 23, 2011
    Castrate your competition, Steve?....... that's not very nice. ;)
  6. macrumors 6502a

Apr 20, 2011
    It could. It probably may never happen, but if it does, Apple's "surrendering" to Nokia's lawsuit would just add to Nokia's side of the story for anyone who shares a lawsuit regarding whatever patent Apple and Nokia were originally arguing over.
  7. macrumors 603

Jul 27, 2009
    Premià de Mar
    Florian on Twitter was incapable of telling why those companies would have to pay and why has been making phones since the 90's without any problem.
  8. macrumors 604

May 28, 2005
    So because iOS infringes, this automatically makes Android infringe upon it too?
  9. macrumors 65816

Apr 8, 2011
    Western Hemisphere
    The test of time will prove it's all meaningless.
  10. macrumors 6502

Feb 17, 2008
    From the same article:

“Having proven its ability to defeat Apple after the most bitterly contested patent dispute that this industry has seen to date is clear proof of” the effectiveness of Nokia's more aggressive strategy, Mr. Mueller said. “Other companies whom Nokia will ask to pay royalties will have to think very hard whether to pay or pick a fight."

So it sounds like to me, Nokia just became the school yard bully.
  11. Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Sep 19, 2002
    The "winner" of a cross-licensing deal, if you want to think of it that way, is the one who gets paid, in this case Nokia. I doubt that Apple has had trouble because its lawyers are spread too thin, but the settlement is presumably worth it to Apple. They may have expected to owe these same licensing payments anyway as a result of the lawsuits.

It's best for our interests as consumers if companies have strong reasons to do the R&D for new developments, with rights to their patents being one of their incentives. But it's also in our interests to see new developments used in many products, which can result from cross-licensing and even from patent infringement! Somebody (us) ultimately has to pay for it, of course, but I'd rather pay for R&D than for court battles.
  12. macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Oct 9, 2006
    The only way this even "hurts" android and others is they have to keep paying the fees they have been paying any how.

oh wait that does nothing to them and it is status quo. If Apple had won it would of done some good so to speak because they would no longer have to license them.
  13. macrumors 6502a

Sep 7, 2005
    Cor.... Nokia are gonna be rolling in it!

14. macrumors G5

Jun 27, 2007
    And Android still has to face the Java lawsuit that might wipe them out.

I am sure many people can't wait.
  15. macrumors 6502

Sep 24, 2005
    Bristol, UK
    Cover story, Apple and Nokia had this planned all along :p
  16. macrumors 6502a

Oct 16, 2008
    lol like it's going to happen.
  17. ChazUK, Jun 14, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2011

macrumors 603

Feb 3, 2008
    Essex (UK)
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.4; en-gb; Nexus S Build/GRJ22) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

This is fantastic news!

Hit Bada and WebOS whilst they're at it.

Edit: I am being sarcastic btw.
  18. macrumors 68030

Mattie Num Nums

Mar 5, 2009
    Florian Mueller has been proven in the past to publish BS information. I take anything he says for a grain of salt.
  19. macrumors 68030

May 27, 2006
    Miami, FL
    Oracle may or may not win, but I severely doubt it would take out Android.

As far as Mueller goes, in my opinion I think he has as much or less credibility than Paul Thurrott.
  20. macrumors member

May 5, 2011
    Yeah, right. And Apple was the poor weak nerdy kid with glasses. LOL!

Apple has a tendency to innovate without researching whether it's already been "innovated" by somebody else already.
  21. macrumors regular

Dec 12, 2009
    Makes more sense that it's cross-licenense and not as suggested by all media this morning that it's all Apple -> Nokia.
  22. macrumors 6502

Jun 23, 2010
    Ok, what gives here. Is this some stock pump article by MR????

First the false report that Android makers will have to pay Nokia (they already license the patent). Next, showing a completely unrelated picture of a 'fat' Steve Jobs which was obviously from half a decade ago.

Real classy! :rolleyes:
  23. macrumors 6502

Jun 23, 2010
    LOL. Yes, wipe them out.
  24. macrumors 6502a

Mar 14, 2010
    Denver, CO
    That's like saying Nokia was going wipe out the iPhone, ie never would happen. There is too much money going around and in the end someone will pay someone else and Android will go on.
  25. macrumors 68040

Apr 6, 2007
    I guess you'd be all for an Apple dictatorship over the market wouldn't you. Are you sure you're a consultant? :rolleyes: