Apple's North Carolina Data Center Appears on Google Satellite Imagery

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 1, 2011.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As noted by Fortune, Apple's new data center outside of Maiden, North Carolina is now visible on satellite imagery in Google Maps and Google Earth, lifting some of the veil of secrecy that has surrounded the project.
    We do know that the new imagery showing the data center was live at least a few days before Apple's announcement regarding an iCloud introduction, however, as we saw it over the weekend but did not make note of it as we had not determined if it was a recent development.

Speculation has suggested that Apple may have specifically been working with Google to keep imagery of the new facility off of Google Maps, but that is far from certain as Google's satellite images are updated only periodically, especially in rural areas such as this. Fueling the speculation was the fact the the facility had been located right on the boundary between satellite image data sets that showed a brief hint of the area under construction along its western edge while the remainder of site was covered by older imagery showing only fields and trees.

The new imagery shows cleared land directly to the southeast of the facility where Apple has proposed long-term plans to double the size of the center. Also shown at the upper right at the corner of Startown Road and Elbow Road is a new Town of Maiden fire station under construction, a facility that Apple required as part of its decision to locate the data center there as the town's main fire station in the center of town a few miles away was deemed too far away for Apple's liking. The fire station is being built on a small plot of land that formerly contained a modest home that Apple purchased for $1.7 million last year.

Article Link: Apple's North Carolina Data Center Appears on Google Satellite Imagery

2. macrumors G5

Consultant

Google spies probably have higher resolution images. ;)

3. macrumors 68000

Blakjack

I'd like to see a ground view, that way I could get a better view of how massive it is.

4. macrumors 68030

Les Kern

Are my nipples supposed to get hard or what? Jesus, slow news day huh?

5. macrumors regular

NASA can read the Bible from space BTW...

Looks very clean compared to the construction days!

6. slu
    macrumors 68000

slu

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

I never do this, but who cares? Really, pictures of the roof of the data center are of interest to anyone? I can't wait for data center "news" to go away. It is so boring.

Yeah, yeah, I know, don't read the article, blah blah blah.

7. macrumors 6502a

ciTiger

I really don't see how this is news since we all knew about the existence of it... But hey anything to spice up the iCloud is welcome...

8. macrumors 6502

justinfreid

Only thing Apple's built w/o a logo

Where is the Apple logo? Phil Shiller must be very upset.

9. macrumors 68000

ten-oak-druid

It looks like a portable hard drive. I wonder if there are big doors on one end shaped like firewire ports? Better yet, it would be cool if there is a red light on top at the other end that comes on when the cloud goes on line and flickers to indicate read/write activity.

10. macrumors 6502a

11. macrumors 68030

Full of Win

Meh...my data center (my house) has been on Google maps for years.

12. macrumors regular

d0minick

It's beautiful.....oh.. it is just a warehouse? With like, air condition, and server racks? Ohhh ok. NEXT. :D

13. macrumors 65816

Jeez, what an interesting story and solves the mystery of what a roof on a large building looks like. Now I can sleep at night. :rolleyes:

Tony

14. macrumors regular

Constable Odo

One down, one more to go. I can hardly wait until completion of the second building so I can put the rest of my music collection in the cloud.

15. macrumors 6502

the-oz-man

Why, o why didn't I own that modest house on the corner. I could use 1.7 million reasons to move!

16. macrumors 68040

iSee

Huh? It's a picture of the top of a building...
    So... what?

17. macrumors regular

Your nipples get hard if there's a slow news day? Interesting!

18. macrumors 65816

frunkis54

Wow you guys are a bunch of Debbie Downers. This is exciting.:D

19. macrumors regular

Thats what she said

20. macrumors Penryn

rdowns

21. macrumors regular

ironsienna

Well I can only imagine how much the guys that owed this house got to demolish it. It seems that the street view hasn't updated yet..

[​IMG]

22. macrumors regular

Is that a Mercedes with no license plates in the handicapped parking spot by the front door?

;-)

23. macrumors G4

Small White Car

It's pretty frick'n huge.

Check out this rough comparison I did with the Magic Kingdom in Orlando Florida:

[​IMG]

And here it is with the White House in DC:

[​IMG]

24. Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

It's the worst one so far today.

What about this gem from the beginning of MacRumors?

25. macrumors 6502a

iggypod

Agreed. Surely marketing will slap an apple logo on that roof!