Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
"Many Bothan spies died to bring us these images... of a fricken' huge Data Centre that you couldn't miss even if you were looking the other way at night time." Sheesh. :p

.... on the plus side, one proton torpedo down one of those air conditioning vents and... kaboom!

oliversl

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2007
I think can see the FOX TV van outside, parked on the road. Street view is really outdated, you can see a nice field where the entrance is.

NoNothing

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2003
This is news?

Bing Maps has had it for months. I am starting to think Google Maps is far past its prime.

acslater017

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2006
San Francisco Bay Area
Huh? It's a picture of the top of a building...
So... what?

-it is intriguing that Apple and Google may have collaborated to keep their data center away from prying eyes

-any aerial imagery gives rival companies an idea of the scale of Apple's data/cloud offerings. If you can see from the street how many stories it is, multiply by the roof area, and you can get a good ballpark area of how many servers can fit in there

-it's interesting that this information is finally released half a week before WWDC. Coincidence or intentional?

IlluminatedSage

macrumors 68000
Aug 1, 2000
Finally two quotes i agree with:

"Many Bothan spies died to bring us these images... of a fricken' huge Data Centre that you couldn't miss even if you were looking the other way at night time." Sheesh. :p

.... on the plus side, one proton torpedo down one of those air conditioning vents and... kaboom!

Sad sidebar on this new datacenter, as large as it is, when Apple built it, they projected about 50 new full time jobs in it. so it is tons of servers literally,very few real living beings in there.

People are the new Borg collective in the Apple world?

Yes, i am sure Chinese and Russian hackers will try and work their way into Music and Video file servers in there.

Umbrella Corp.
This building is one heck of a place to ride out a zombie attack. Umbrella Corp, umm.. aka Apple, will have one heck of a big building to hide out in the Server labyrinth.

bmturney

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2008
Lots of A/C and their own Power substation...

Impressive... not very green... but impressive... :D

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
It's the worst one so far today.

What about this gem from the beginning of MacRumors?
I agree. You never know what if what is on the Mac-Rumors front news page is good. It's total pot luck. Pick a story and hope you get lucky.

And many days all the real gems are on the 2nd page.

batchtaster

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2008
I think it's interesting and noteworthy, but that's really the end of it, and the conspiracy/veil of secrecy thing is somewhat overblown. Complete or under construction, we're not going to learn anything of much value from the top of a building, any more than we get standing on the sidewalk of 1 Infinite Loop or satellite shots over Foxconn.

With the possible exception that it seems like a good place to head when the zombie apocalypse comes and the country is overrun with the undead.

Unless of course the design of the iPad 3 is going to be a virtual scale model of the data center...

dakwar

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2010
I'm surprised there isn't a big Apple logo on the roof of that thing! (said half jokingly)

NightFox

macrumors 68040
May 10, 2005
Shropshire, UK
Wow, the Google satellite imagery of my house is about 8 years old. Apple could build a new DC here and nobody would know about it for decades.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.