Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Apple is firing on all cylinders when it comes to bringing chip design in-house, and that must be a massive undertaking. That's delivering some serious results. And I think there are signs that relying on Intel is becoming a point of frustration for them so we will [eventually] see a change there. At the end of the day, they need to deliver more updates more frequently to compete in this marketplace effectively. They are being outdone.

Reactions: brianvictor7

tkukoc

Cancelled
Sep 16, 2014
Nothing for me to buy today, macbook pro's are overpriced at the start, I always buy used better deals online for a small scratch to a case or dent in the corner.. put a case on it and it's no longer there. No airpods today = nothing to buy.

Reactions: Boatboy24

zen

macrumors 68000
Jun 26, 2003
Out of interest, why is the online store down so early, and for so long, when it's a launch day? Is it merely to stop people ordering items that will be officially discontinued in 6 hours? Because the actual store update itself can't take long, all the content will have been prepared a week ago.

darkandlong

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2008
Uk
I can imagine some sheepish VPs pn stage trying not to look too embarrassed as they talk about their 'innovation'.

I'm guessing they'll be removing the word 'innovate' from all the autocues and replacing it with either 'magical' or 'exciting'.

At least Johnny I've won't look embarrassed In the prerecorded 'Johnny Ive talks earnestly whilst sitting in a white room' video segment. Though maybe they'll recut it to Eye of the tiger in desperation.

Bubba Satori

Suspended
Feb 15, 2008
B'ham
I disagree, a true Apple professional/fan will never be impressed with Microsoft offerings. Only the 'new' Apple customer could be swayed by the shallow front of a Windows 'product'. Just because a Ford Focus may have a new 'something' designed to it will never make it better than a Ferrari! And Mac users will know that they have the Ferrari!

Morning Tim. Have a great day.

carestudio

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2008
Out of interest, why is the online store down so early, and for so long, when it's a launch day? Is it merely to stop people ordering items that will be officially discontinued in 6 hours? Because the actual store update itself can't take long, all the content will have been prepared a week ago.

I think most apple employees did not know what's gonna happen till this morning. It's classic Apple. No one knows what will happen, and not to mention Microsoft just announced a new family that will seriously downplay Apple's new machines.

Perhaps the product team hand over the new product pages to the web team a couple hours ago. The web and store teams need to upload and QA the new pages. takes time :)

Suspended
Mar 18, 2006
We have some great product in our pipelines.....(someone talks to Tim on stage in his hear) Sorry guys i ment Microsoft has some great stuff in the pipelines, we just got some oled bar and some watchbands....

Reactions: Barrierfreeman

happydude

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2006
a gasping dying planet
My nike+ watch just shipped and I can't check status of the shipping or pre-sign for it since it's all tied to the Apple Store website. Sigh. Such a needless shutdown system.

K.Haderach

macrumors member
Mar 22, 2016
Outer Banks NC
Looking forward to what they announce about the MacBook Air... Do they update it beyond the MacBook 12" and still have that entry level price point... Or do they re-brand it as a larger MacBook thereby the MacBook 12" then becomes the entry level Mac... Inquiring minds want to know.

Suspended
Mar 18, 2006
Meanwhile in Redmond...
200_s.gif

40319866.jpg

gnipgnop

macrumors 68020
Feb 18, 2009
Microsoft has some great stuff in the pipelines, we just got some oled bar and some watchbands....

Looks like MS just recycled the same old design for Surface and Surface Book with some spec bumps. I guess if you're not in the market for a $4,000 digital drafting table, then MS has abandoned you as a customer. The lack of innovation is a shame. I, mean, SKYLAKE? In 2016? MS has lost it.

Reactions: AfroAbel

Suspended
Mar 18, 2006
Looks like MS just recycled the same old design for Surface and Surface Book with some spec bumps. I guess if you're not in the market for a $4,000 digital drafting table, then MS has abandoned you as a customer. The lack of innovation is a shame. I, mean, SKYLAKE? In 2016? MS has lost it.
Tell that to Apple....who is still selling to date 3 years old CPU on their top of the line computer (you can pick anyone in the line...they are all 2 / 3 years old)!
People getting mad because Microsoft did better than (aka mopped the floor with) Apple for once, who would have tought!!

I am an apple lover and fan as you can see in my sig, but i can also give credit where it is due...you can't always win.

tkukoc

Cancelled
Sep 16, 2014
It's a hype technique Apple uses.. even when there's nothing new to buy on the day they announce they take the store down. It use to work well because you would watch the keynote and then buy the product right after. Now they have this preorder nonsense after they announce the products. So basically there's zero reason to take the website down other then to help hype the announcements.

Reactions: darkandlong

thedommer2000

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2016
Microsofts line up is fantastic. the surface is a great device and surface book is quite beautiful. I don't love the little space in their hinge though. I prefer the macbook design. Either way, Microsoft has come a long way. I'm still buying a mac book pro though. I will not be leaving this ecosystem anytime soon.

Reactions: 8692574

carestudio

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2008
Apple is firing on all cylinders when it comes to bringing chip design in-house, and that must be a massive undertaking. That's delivering some serious results. And I think there are signs that relying on Intel is becoming a point of frustration for them so we will [eventually] see a change there. At the end of the day, they need to deliver more updates more frequently to compete in this marketplace effectively. They are being outdone.

Totally agree. But it will be very challenge for Apple to get rid of Intel on the Mac design, it will probably never happen as Intel is still holding may IPs and technologies, such as Thunderbolt. Apple did a great job on Phone where they started working on their own chips, for the desktops and laptops, it's too late and it's probably not worthy.

gnipgnop

macrumors 68020
Feb 18, 2009
Tell that to Apple....who is still selling to date 3 years old CPU on their top of the line computer!
People getting mad because Microsoft did better than Apple for once, who would have tought!!

I had thought that MS would at least be able to keep up with the watch bands, but no…they had to cancel their watch. How pathetic is that? Now the Skylake debacle with their "new" Surface products plus those same old industrial designs for the Surface/Surface Book. Probably need a change at CEO.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.