Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AlexM

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 7, 2005
Québec, Canada
Hi Everyone !

I was wondering if the prices on the apple store (I'm shopping on the Canadian store but I guess it's all the same) include the taxes ?

Thanks !
- Alex

drumpat01

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2004
Denton, TX
I was actualy wondering this same question today. Im about to buy my first Mac and would really like to know the answer to this. I know its free shipping for students. I would guess that no, they do not include tax and that you when you order it, you will see the tax then.

AlexM

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 7, 2005
Québec, Canada
drumpat01 said:
I was actualy wondering this same question today. Im about to buy my first Mac and would really like to know the answer to this. I know its free shipping for students. I would guess that no, they do not include tax and that you when you order it, you will see the tax then.
I went on the online store website, clicked the 14 inches iBook, 1299$. I added it to my cart then clicked "View Cart" and the subtotal was still 1299$. There's free shipping but nothing there about taxes. I tested with both canadian and usa stores.. both the same. :confused:

tsk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2004
Wisconsin
No, they add it on in the end (at least in the US). The last time I ordered (10 days ago or so), they gave an estimated tax at the end. A year and a half ago when I ordered, it didn't mention anything about tax as I recall.

M

MooMu

taxes

The prices on the Canadian Apple site are pre-tax prices. They give you the final total, including taxes, in a confirmation e-mail after they have processed your online order.

AlexM

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 7, 2005
Québec, Canada
tsk said:
No, they add it on in the end (at least in the US). The last time I ordered (10 days ago or so), they gave an estimated tax at the end. A year and a half ago when I ordered, it didn't mention anything about tax as I recall.
I just crawled the apple's store website and found small prints saying that the taxes are not included. That's kind of stupid.. they should say clearly: "taxes are not included will be added to the subtotal"... oh well :eek:

MacManTexas56

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2005
drumpat01 said:

just order from macmall.com or macconnection.com and it will actually be cheaper without the student discount and W/O tax. if you order from apple store online u will get the student discount but you will have to pay taxes so you're better off ordering from an online store that doesn't charge taxes to Texas.

cleanup

macrumors 68030
Jun 26, 2005
Toronto
Yes, tax is added on AFTER you place your order. You will see the full price on your e-mail invoice (quite dumb, I know).

Figure out the tax yourself. Apple Canada is located in Markham, so if you're outside of Ontario, you will pay 7% tax. If in Ontario, you will pay 15%. So, figure out your final price before ordering.

Note, if you're a student, use your education discount. It's pretty much like paying no tax.

AlexM

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 7, 2005
Québec, Canada
cleanup said:
Yes, tax is added on AFTER you place your order. You will see the full price on your e-mail invoice (quite dumb, I know).

Figure out the tax yourself. Apple Canada is located in Markham, so if you're outside of Ontario, you will pay 7% tax. If in Ontario, you will pay 15%. So, figure out your final price before ordering.

Note, if you're a student, use your education discount. It's pretty much like paying no tax.
Do they count the provincial tax ? There's a 7% Canadian tax and 7.5% provincial (QC) on what we buy here... but if I remember well, stuff I order online from Canadian stores usually charge me only 7%.

M

MooMu

more taxes

I live in Ontario, and they charged me both taxes, provincial and federal.

AlexM

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 7, 2005
Québec, Canada
MooMu said:
I live in Ontario, and they charged me both taxes, provincial and federal.
I think that's because the store is located in Ontario too. If it was located in Québec you would have payed only the federal tax.. but I may be wrong about this. I will order it tomorrow anyway, stay tuned ;)

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2005
cleanup said:

How much is the educational discount? I only get $50 Cdn off on the 12" ibook on apple.com/ca.

Do I get a bigger discount if I purchase it from my university directly?

thank you

Duff-Man

Contributor
Dec 26, 2002
Albuquerque, NM
AlexM said:
I think that's because the store is located in Ontario too. If it was located in Québec you would have payed only the federal tax.. but I may be wrong about this. I will order it tomorrow anyway, stay tuned ;)
Duff-Man says...no, the Apple online store will charge you both PST and GST with the PST rate depending on where you live and the rate for that province...oh yeah.

M

MooMu

325 said:
Do I get a bigger discount if I purchase it from my university directly?

It should be the same. Well, at least that is how it works for U of T.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.