Apple's OS X Mountain Lion Up-to-Date Application Goes Live Ahead of Public Launch [Updated]

Discussion in ' News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 23, 2012.

1. macrumors bot

Apr 12, 2001

Alongside other OS X Mountain Lion announcements at its Worldwide Developers Conference last month, Apple announced an Up-to-Date program allowing any customer purchasing a Mac on or after June 11 to receive a free upgrade to OS X Mountain Lion once the operating system is released to the public. With OS X Mountain Lion being released only via the Mac App Store, the free upgrade is being delivered a redemption code for the store.

While the company has yet to officially announce it and almost certainly will not do so until OS X Mountain Lion itself actually launches, the company's Up-to-Date online application form is already live. Users are required to enter their date and location of purchase for the qualifying Mac, fill out personal contact information, and enter the serial numbers of machines eligible for the free upgrade to OS X Mountain Lion. Once all information has been submitted, Apple generates a reference number for the claim and the actual redemption code is delivered via email.

In our testing, the redemption code arrived as a password-protected PDF attachment within seconds of submitting the online form, with a second email containing a password for opening the PDF arriving at the same time.

Attempting to redeem the OS X Mountain Lion code in the Mac App Store does not yet provide access to the update, however, as it has yet to go live in the store. Entering the code simply yields an error noting that it is "not recognized as a valid code".

OS X Mountain Lion will be released later this month, with hints suggesting that it could arrive this Wednesday, July 25.

(Thanks, Justin!)

Update 10:12 AM: Apple appears to have taken the Up-to-Date application offline.

Article Link: Apple's OS X Mountain Lion Up-to-Date Application Goes Live Ahead of Public Launch [Updated]
  2. macrumors 68000

Aug 20, 2009
    Preston, UK
  3. macrumors regular

May 1, 2012
    Athens, GA
    Looking forward to using OS X ML this week :) Good News for sure!
  4. macrumors member

Feb 13, 2012
  5. macrumors member

Sep 21, 2010
  6. macrumors member

Jun 13, 2012
  7. macrumors G5

Jul 29, 2011
    Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
    This is sensible, it will spread the server load, which as usual will be insane. I have 3 Macs to do and will choose the early hours after the first rush is over before downloading.
  8. macrumors 68020

Aug 29, 2003
    Toronto, Canada
    That, and there's only a few days left in the month in which Apple said it was going to launch. :p
  9. macrumors 68000

Jan 28, 2009
    Presumably it will be pushed to the Store before Wednesday or this email will leave customers confused.
  10. macrumors newbie

Jun 6, 2012
    Is this US only? Theres nothing on the UK website indicating the form is open.
  11. macrumors 6502a

Jun 6, 2007
  12. macrumors 68000

Aug 20, 2009
    Preston, UK
    Well, there still is over a week left in this month and I meant in my post it will be here in the next couple of days.
  13. macrumors P6

Jul 17, 2005
    5045 feet above sea level
    not for me....

What is this "right to copy" option
  14. macrumors 603

Apr 11, 2005
    One mile up and soaring
    They haven't announced the Up to Date is live. So most customers won't be looking yet. I think they may release Tuesday, announce and go live in one fell swoop, just to throw us off since everyone expects it Wednesday.

Edit: however after checking roaring apps yesterday, it seems many app have yet to be tested or verified as working on ML with some even marked as not working. I found this surprising as just like Leopard -> Snow Leopard, Lion -> Mountain Lion isn't such a huge upgrade that it should break compatability. But as such I may install on my new Air but leave the main iMac running 10.7 until I know I don't have any software issues.
  15. macrumors 68000

Jul 27, 2003
    Got my redemption code! Doesn't work yet like it says in the OP but I'll keep trying.

It's for volume licenses.
  16. macrumors member

Jun 21, 2012
    Doncaster, England
    Not getting the form in the UK either, nor the US website actually
  17. PBP
    macrumors 6502

May 13, 2011
    I wonder if they update iWork/iLife before ML is released to reduce the server load.
  18. macrumors 6502a

Feb 3, 2010
    If you read the page, you'd clearly see:

If you are an Enterprise, Education Institution, or Government customer and you have purchased 20 or more qualifying systems, you can receive a Right to Copy license.
  19. macrumors regular

Jun 18, 2008
    You do realize that your early hours will be somebody else's peak hours :eek:
  20. macrumors member

Jan 13, 2008
    Only US I guess, I tried to fill in the form and noticed I couldn't fill in my country :(
  21. macrumors 65816

Feb 18, 2009
    New Yawk
    Hmm... wonder if a "restore from network" on a new mac (Air in my case) will pull over ML or not.
  22. macrumors member

Jun 12, 2011
    UK users won't be able to get passed the Phone validation, so US only I guess.
  23. macrumors member

Mar 3, 2011
    I bought my macbook in UK but my iTunes ID is US. Is there a way to redeem that lion voucher in different store?
  24. macrumors 65816

Jan 29, 2008
  25. macrumors 6502a

Jun 6, 2007
    I have yet to see it in the US either... probably being updated as we talk.