Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

point665

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2004
In the states... Both of my G5s came in the product boxes (not brown boxes), had no problem with that... In fact the FedEx guy was like "man thats one sweet computer your getting there". My friends who constantly order new computers from the Apple store have always recieved them in product boxes.

(And yes we all keep our product boxes:)).

I think the brown box thing is if its from a reseller.

Little Endian

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2003
Honolulu
All the Computer's I have ordered through Apple came in actual Product boxes with no plain brown packaging. Three imacs, two PowerMacs and a Cinema Display ordered and all came shipped announcing to the world of what the box contained.

Oddly enough all the small things I've Ordered through Apple came in brown boxes. ipods have always come to me in a brown outer box. Apple software, isight and most accessories if not all Apple branded accessories have shipped in a brown box. Never ordered any third party products through Apple's Online store because I can always find them much cheaper elsewhere.

I however wish that Apple did ship the big stuff in a way as to conceal what they are. Privacy from Neighbors is important I don't like the idea of people knowing that I got over $10,000 worth of hardware in my apartment. Another concern is when I saw a FedEx truck at an Office building next to my workplace with it's Cargo hatch wide open with two PowerMac Boxes sitting in plain sight with no driver around. Yikes!!:eek:

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
OK, here we go:

My iBook, purchased from Terra Soft in the USA, came in a brown box.
My Power Mac, from Renaissance (Apple) NZ, came in the original box.
My iMac G5, from TotallyMac.com, came in the original box.
My iMac CD, from TotallyMac.com, came in a brown box.

There doesn't seem to be any sort of pattern :)

tektonnic

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2006
Bucks, UK
Just like lemmings, my G5 PowerMac came in its product box no brown box...it did take something like 4 weeks to get to me too...I'm in the UK if we want to develop hardcore stats on this!

NoNameBrand

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2005
Halifax, Canada
dmw007 said:
My Power Mac G5 came in the Apple box with pictures plastered all over- no doubt could exist as to what I was getting. :)

The guy who brought my G5 couldn't tell from the (product) box what it was - only that "this thing is really heavy!".

I told him it was very large cheese grater.

jkballer23

macrumors member
Mar 6, 2006
well, my PB didn't really come in a brown box. It was the regular PB box, wrapped in a think cardboard paper like material. So, it wasn't really a box within a box, just a PB box wrapped in cardboard-ish paper.

BlueRevolution

macrumors 603
Jul 26, 2004
Montreal, QC
ok, gotta share.

Power Mac G5 via FedEx from Apple - product box
Tiger via Purolator from Apple - brown box
AirPort card from Compusmart, not shipped - brown box

go figure

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
I never order from Apple...sales tax?!?! :eek:

I usually order from CDW...and every mac product I've ordered from them (iBook, Powerbook, Powermac) has come in a brown "CDW" box, with the computer box inside, wrapped in a brown paperboard box that form fits the display box. :)

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
My iBook came with a thin brown box around the outside of the real box. Thought that was pretty nice of them. Actually the brown box wasn't even scuffed...surprising for UPS.

FocusAndEarnIt

macrumors 601
May 29, 2005
ITASOR said:
My iBook came with a thin brown box around the outside of the real box. Thought that was pretty nice of them. Actually the brown box wasn't even scuffed...surprising for UPS.
Ditto. No damage or scuffs on my thin brown box outside of the real iBook box.

Goes the same for my brother's Mac mini and my iMac G5

NEENAHBOY

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2004
Arlington, VA
July '05: PowerBook came in a fairly thick brown box with a layer of peanuts separating it from the product box.

February '06: replacement PowerBook (shipping from California, not China) came in a thin brown box with nothing separating it from the product box.

jihad the movie

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2003
Smugtown, NY
Stock PowerMac G5 Box, I also got a monitor and all of my apple accessories shipped in their stock boxes as well.

Congrats on the scanner, I love my LiDE 80, it really is a great scanner.

M. Malone

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 11, 2004
It JUST ARRIVED! ok, it did have a brown box, it wasn't padded, which is no problem, it's main purpose was to conceal the pretty box of the iMac...thanks everyone

DeSnousa

macrumors 68000
Jan 20, 2005
Brisbane, Australia
I bought a iBook at a reseller and did a pick-up. It was packaged in a brown box, which was good cause I had to walk home and didn't want a person to mug me :cool:

queensnyc

macrumors newbie
Apr 1, 2006
Jericho2550 said:
I got a scanner I ordered from Apple.com today, Canon CanoScan LiDE 80 (any opinions about it are welcome) well they shipped it in it's regular box, no FedEx box, they just slapped a tracking number sticker on it, I live in an apartment building, so the guy in my lobby who signed for the package was excited and kept talking to me about computers and how his brother has a scanner that can do this and that, I also ordered an iMac which is supposed to come this week, is it gonna come in a FedEx box or will it be the same? I don't like people knowing what I get shipped to me, security reasons I guess.

thanks

My brother got an Intel Core Duo Mini from Apple last month and it came in the original packaging inside a brown shipping box. Same story for me with my Intel Core Duo Mini from Amazon.

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
Everything I have ordered from Apple sans iPods and software came in the original packaging. I'm always there to sign, though and it's all insured, so I could care less if someone comesin and swipes it.

My address is...:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.