Apple's Phil Schiller Reveals No Plans for an iPhone 5 Dock

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 18, 2012.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    When Apple introduced the iPhone 5, there was one seemingly absent accessory: a dock. Apple did introduce other Lightning accessories, including a 30-pin adapter and USB cable. They also announced HDMI and VGA cables would be coming.

In an email published on 9to5Mac, Apple Senior Vice President of Marketing Phil Schiller confirmed that they have no plans on producing an iPhone 5 dock. In a response to a customer inquiry about an Apple-made dock, Schiller wrote:
    Schiller signed the email Sent from my iPhone 5. The iPhone 5 launches on Friday, September 21st at 8 a.m. local time.

Article Link: Apple's Phil Schiller Reveals No Plans for an iPhone 5 Dock

2. macrumors 65816

bpeeps

3. macrumors regular

What about a case or bumper? That's what I really want!

4. macrumors newbie

What?! A dock makes it so much easier. Should've replaced it with a wireless charging system.

5. macrumors 68040

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    Gross. Why would you want to cover something so beautiful, thin, light, and durable? Enjoy your iPhone

6. macrumors regular

xAgustinx

7. macrumors member

mirco15

8. macrumors 6502

9. macrumors 6502a

The knock-off makers are going to have a hard time being original then. Waiting for Twelvesouth or elago to come out with some solution.

10. macrumors 68000

TMar

Funny, I thought most people that used docks didn't want to mess with a cable falling off a desk/nightstand. I'm someone will make one to make up for your disconnected state with your customers.

11. macrumors member

He would do that... Teasing us with his iPhone 5 signature.

12. macrumors 6502

jrlcopy

You use this word "durable" but I'm not certain you know what it means...

13. macrumors 601

Icaras

Well that sucks.

So I guess it would be a bad idea to use the lightning adapter on the universal dock? I don't think it would fit the dock groove and the weight of it may be too much for the connector.

14. macrumors G4

daneoni

Well thats lame.

Hopefully 3rd party makers come through and give us stuff like this with a Lightning port.

[​IMG]

15. macrumors G5

nagromme

Too bad—I wanted a dock.

But third parties will make some great ones if I’m patient. Something small but with speakers, like those old donut-style ones, might be nice. May as well be iPad-ready too, for my future Lightning iPad.

(I also want a bumper case. I had wanted someone to make that kind of case long before Apple ever did. Luckily, third parties can do that too. I go caseless 90% of the time, but when hiking—or passing my phone around to groups of people—I like a bumper!)

Funny... Apple gets accused of bleeding every penny out of people while shutting out third-party accessory makers. Something tells me those complainers will ignore any evidence to the contrary...

16. macrumors member

I cannot believe this article appeared literally as I was looking at my old dock and trying to find a new one online. I've been using the same dock that came with my original iPhone in 2007! Works like a champ and I'm really sorry to see it won't have a successor and will just become a paperweight.

I share your sentiment. :(

17. macrumors member

18. macrumors 68000

So I can enjoy it more than a week before putting a big scratch on it and hating myself immensely.

19. macrumors 68020

theBB

How does a bumper help you during hiking? If it falls on the ground, it sounds like the top or the bottom glass would be as vulnerable.

20. macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (VA)
    No Apple dock for the iPhone 5? That does not make me happy! I don't care about speakers and clocks and such with a dock, I just want a basic dock like I have now with my iPhone 4 dock: something into which to quickly pop my iPhone in when it needs to be charged. Bah!

21. macrumors 68030

Amazing Iceman

A dock is very functional. Apple, make a dock for the new iPhone! :D

At home:
    - On your nightstand, your iPhone docked, Airplay sound and video to AppleTV and/or Airplay Speakers.

At work:
    - Your iPhone docked on your desk, so it's not floating around and getting covered by paperwork. Always at sight in the right place. Easy to see who's calling.

22. macrumors 68040

Didn't Apple discontinue iPhone docks a while back?

23. macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

See? That's what I'm afraid with the new Lightning dock. I use iPod Universal Dock a lot and it's one of a kind accesory which converts your iPod/iPhone into a jukebox connected to my audio amp/receiver instead of listen to music via crappy headphone.

I can control music playback via Apple IR remote which is comfortable.
    Now it's gone along with good ol' dock. Bummer

Speaker and clock dock? They're overpriced yet puny sounding sound system. Trash products.!!

24. macrumors 68030

greytmom

Someone is going to make one, folks. Patience.

25. macrumors 68000

deannnnn

This is really disappointing. I dock my 4S (as I have every iPhone) next to my bed as it IS my alarm clock. My cable box across the room is my clock for quick glances.