Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

adildacoolset

macrumors 65816
But plastic is junk remember? I mean that is what the apple fanboys claim about the htc/samsung and other plastic android devices.

And that is what I still claim. And that is what ill claim about this cheap iPhone, if it ever comes out. Plastic sucks on high-end smartphones. Pay for a phone that costs hundreds of dollars, and get the same quality of a phone that costs ten dollars.

It's like buying a first class plane ticket, and finding out that the service is exactly the same as economy class. That's how I see it. When I pay hundreds of dollars, it should feel like hundreds if dollars, not some cheap flimsy plastic slab.

Don't even bother with the plastic cases as an argument, because I don't use a plastic case. Even if I did, I still have the option of removing it and getting the exquisite feel

etrinh

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2011
...I have a subsidized iPhone 5 and a coworker got hers unsubsidized and unlocked...I have grandfathered unlimited data, unlimited texts and the 450 min with rollover...she has grandfathered unlimited data, unlimited texts and 450 min with rollover....our bills are the same every month (at least for the last three months they were exact) what advantage does she get for paying full price for her device other than being unlocked? what additional money am I paying towards AT&T? We both like AT&T and will more than likely both keep service with them for two years...I can not see any advantage to buying unsubsidized. It's not like we have another major GSM carrier in the US...don't even mention Tmobile we're in Houston the better service is with AT&T

It's for markets "outside" of the US

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
Apple is loosing its lead in smartphones to samsung. Why might you ask? Well, one reason for some is screen size. I think Apple increased the screen size to 4 inches hoping that was enough, but with the mediocre sales numbers of the iPhone 5, they would be stupid not to be pursuing or at least messing around with a bigger iPhone.

The last report I saw had Samsung at 28% of the smartphone market... and Apple at 20%

Samsung's lead isn't as much as you think.

And... when you consider that Samsung only sold 15 million of their flagship Galaxy SIII out of their 63 million total smartphone last quarter... it appears that Samsung sells way more junk phones.

Even if you add sales of the Galaxy Note II and the older Galaxy SII... that's still less than 1/3 of Samsung's smartphones being their "good" phones.

You're forgeting about all those $100 junk phones Samsung sells around the world.

Samsung may be the volume leader in smartphone sales... but that includes a ton of cheap phones being sold TODAY with Gingerbread.

That's not really something to brag about... in my opinion.

"Oh no... Samsung is beating Apple..."

There's more than just unit sales...

dreadnort

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2012
Please Apple, don't pull a Samsung and go brain dead.

And we have a winner, I knew I wouldnt go through a thread where Samsung wouldnt get a mention (they do get alot of free advertising on this site don't they).

on another point, I havent seen any comments or adverts that say you must go out an buy this new vapourware phone, so why are you all moaning about it.

No likey, no buye
Let the Donkey see the Carrot

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
$330 for Unsubsidized is about half price of the unsubsidized iPhone today. Most androids are subsidized by the carriers, so this could theoretically compete very well with them.

I think they just stole this from the ipad mini. Prior to the mini, they wouldn't have anticipated $329 $330. I could see them trying to push something slightly newer for $450 as opposed to the use of older models, but I'm not sure. Smartphones seem to be leveling off somewhat, so the older models should start to become more desirable unless the way they're used actually changes to accommodate heavier tasks. Samsung and some of the others also leverage older models. They're quite tied to trends in the phone industry and coverage. If Apple anticipates higher growth in unsubsidized pre-paid plans, they may be very concerned about that.

marc11

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA
The last report I saw had Samsung at 28% of the smartphone market... and Apple at 20%

Samsung's lead isn't as much as you think.

And... when you consider that Samsung only sold 15 million of their flagship Galaxy SIII out of their 63 million total smartphone last quarter... it appears that Samsung sells way more junk phones.

Even if you add sales of the Galaxy Note II and the older Galaxy SII... that's still less than 1/3 of Samsung's smartphones being their "good" phones.

You're forgeting about all those $100 junk phones Samsung sells around the world.

Samsung may be the volume leader in smartphone sales... but that includes a ton of cheap phones being sold TODAY with Gingerbread.

That's not really something to brag about... in my opinion.

"Oh no... Samsung is beating Apple..."

There's more than just unit sales...

This entire post makes me lol. "Cheap" phones according to who, you? Do you think Samsung cares when they are putting the profits in the bank with these "cheap" phones? And think about all the people who cannot afford nor want an iPhone, should they spend a certain amount of money on a phone to be considered cool or in? Cheap is relative to ones wants and needs.

IMHO Samsung is filling a market need, something smart companies do.

sonicpace

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2013
Canada
I don't doubt Apple is working on a "cheaper" iPhone for "emerging markets" but I do find it hard to believe it will have a larger screen compared to the regular iPhone, assuming the "cheaper" iPhone is also going to be for sale in the US.

It just doesn't feel right that Apple (in the US) would make someone who wants to go with a larger screen buy a "cheaper" product to do so. I just don't buy Apple would want their customers to feel that way.

So this story is either completely BS (which I'm inclined to believe) or there's much more to it.

I don't buy $330 either. As we've seen from analysts price predictions on other Apple products, Apple will probably price it $50-100 more. :)

Next year it is very likely that Apple will launch a flagship iPhone 5 with a 5" screen. When you consider this, a 4.5" screen budget iPhone makes a lot more sense.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
This entire post makes me lol. "Cheap" phones according to who, you? Do you think Samsung cares when they are putting the profits in the bank with these "cheap" phones? And think about all the people who cannot afford nor want an iPhone, should they spend a certain amount of money on a phone to be considered cool or in? Cheap is relative to ones wants and needs.

IMHO Samsung is filling a market need, something smart companies do.

The comment I replied to said "Apple is losing its lead in smartphones to Samsung."

Samsung sells phones from $100 and up. Apple only sells phones from $450 and up.

So is Apple really losing? It doesn't seem like you can compare them at all.

marc11

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA
The comment I replied to said "Apple is losing its lead in smartphones to Samsung."

Samsung sells phones from $100 and up. Apple only sells phones from $450 and up.

So is Apple really losing? It doesn't seem like you can compare them at all.

Oh okay sorry then for going off on a tangent on your reply incorrectly. Appologies.

gto55

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2010
Tel Aviv
according to this website quoting macotakara the iPhone 6, 5S will also propose a 4.5" screen
jaunevif14.gif

http://au.ibtimes.com/articles/440785/20130301/macotakara-iphone-6-5s-sport-4-5.htm#.UTCGA21di84

yakapo

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2008
I know this has been said before but...

If you don't want this particular iPhone, then DON'T BUY IT. No one is forcing you to buy this.

Breaking Good

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2012
The premise of this article is preposterous. While you make a good point that it is a good idea & would be awesome for Apple to be able to sell a device at that price point in those countries... It is simply IMPOSSIBLE. I challenge anybody to show me the cost breakdown of an iPhone 5 showing that $320 of the $650 cost is spent making the case out of metal instead of plastic. Lol! I feel like I'm on crazy pills that ANYBODY here believes this!!! For serious? Especially with the 4.5" screen rumor attached. The screen is likely one of the most expensive components. If anything, since the iPhone 4 retails off contract for $450.. they'd have to use that same slow-ass processor, smaller screen, and STILL shave $120 off the production cost. (psst... hey, switching the casing wouldn't save that much).

So what do you think the incremental cost difference is between the iPad4 and iPad mini?

I know nothing about manufacturing, but I speculate that using a plastic back allows a larger portion of the assembly process to be automated which saves on labor costs.

My guess is that the plastic back isn't the only way they expect to reduce costs. There is a certain amount of upfront costs that go into designing and starting production of new chips and boards. Once a manufacture covers those costs with enough units, there is no reason they can't lower the price for those components as the fixed costs have already been absorbed.

Nightarchaon

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
They were very comfortable to hold though :rolleyes:

Not as comfortable as the 1st gen iPhones, they had a weight and solidity to them i found very nice, not like the new iPhone that now feel like im holding a child's toy phone against my ear.

I liked the curved sides and solid aluminum of the 1st gen, they should bring back that design, not this all glass coffee table mat thing they have now

kilcher

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2011
That I understand. What confuses me is why we need another cheap iPhone when the unlocked iP4 is already available for around the same price.

Because an iPhone 4 has either been used for 3 years by someone else or it's subsidized by the carriers.

WE don't need it. Other parts of the world, where there are (potentially) billions of people buying cheaper Android phones do.

PinoyAko

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2012
In the cloud, I guess. Seriously 6 gen already and you don't see how it goes? No SD card for iOS device.
It is their philosophy.

Geeeeez. You need to relax man. I was not serious when I said that. It is similar to "Safari seems snappier" MacRumors joke.

nia820

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2011
If it was 5 inch then I could understand. But that much money for 4.5 inch phone? Apple is smoking on crackapples

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
2014 .... That seems like a long time....

Which is why i got a 5.5-inch Samsung NOW..

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
Yup, a big cheap phone for all those who keep on bleating about wanting a bigger screen.

And they can keep the quality new products at the current size for the rest of us.

That is fine, if Apple wants to have their market dwindle over time to niche status. They thought that was a good idea with computers, so maybe they will accept it for phones too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.