Apples PR person realistic?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by tyson12zoll, Aug 24, 2003.

1. tyson12zoll macrumors member

I cant help speculating on when the dual g5 will ship considering I have an order placed for one. Granted I'll get mine late as I ordered just a few weeks ago, I'm still curious when the first pre orders will ship.

things im considering.
    The apple PR spokesperson said dual 2s shipping in august...the end of august is comming up quick.
    My order status says 10/29 or earlier (ouch). Japan is mad because they have to wait till september...does this seem right to everyone else? Seems like if they are being 'delayed' then Im being super delayed.
    Curious also that if I configure a g5 the way i did today, it says shipping in 5-7 weeks...yet my order status is over that by quite a bit.

I'm not trying to bitch or anything...i knew it would be quite a while when i ordered. just need to talk about something while I sit here patiently :D

2. mystixman macrumors regular

Mine says 10/29 or before as well. Here are all the factors for mine:

Apple Student Developer Discount

Dual 2.0
    9800 PRO
    Bluetooth
    Airport Extreme
    no modem

at least we can whine together.

3. crazedbytheheat macrumors regular

I hope it ships on time!

I really, really hope it ships this Friday. When I first ordered the date was Sept. 1st, but then is switched back to "On or before 8/29/2003". I'm not really expecting before, but do expect it to ship by the on date. Besides that gives me all weekend (US holiday) to move over files from my iMac, and install software.

My wife told me to get what I want because I'm not getting another one for quite some time, so....

Dual 2.0GH
    2x1 GB RAM
    250 GB HD
    SuperDrive
    9600 Pro (Sales person talked me out of the 9800)
    internal modem (I want to replace my fax machine when Panther gets released)
    BlueTooth
    Airport Extreme

I also got the 23" display, which is sitting on my desk looking way cool but really dark. :rolleyes:

My personal thoughts are that this computer is actually going to keep getting faster over time. First Panther will come out, which is supposed to be faster than the Jaguar. Then we'll start to see more apps getting released that are optimized for Panther/G5, then (eventually) we'll get a true 64 bit OS w/ apps, etc. I've also still got another 6 GB of RAM that I can install.

Question for those in the know: Can I upgrade the processors and/or motherboard over time? It would be really sweet to be able to slap another motherboard in there in a few years with dual 4+GH chips. There seems to be a lot of space in the case.:confused:

4. crazedbytheheat macrumors regular

FedEx Overnight?

Does anyone know if the G5s are being sent via FedEx Saturday delivery? My monitor was sent this way. It got shipped on Friday and was at my door on Saturday. I'd really like to have the big white truck show up this Saturday.

5. rundevilrun macrumors member

Mine is still showing on or before 8/29/03. I wonder if Apple always ships out their new hardware on fridays, I remember my 17" pb was shipped on friday 1 week before the on or before date. If this is true no hope of getting mine until next week. :(

2GHz G5 x 2
    2 x 250G hd
    512M RAM
    Superdrive
    ATI 9800